+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I really liked The Rule of Four.

I'm plodding my way through Robert Graysmith's Zodiac - the movie interested me enough to check out the book. He isn't the most exciting writer - he's no Jack Olsen, that's for sure - but the book is nicely filling in some of the holes the movie left. I'm not all the way through it, but as is turns out, the list of victims is suspected to be much higher than portrayed in the movie (it's at 13 so far).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I read The Rule of Four after having just finished The Eight. It didn't hold up, although that was a tough act to follow.

I'm making my way through Michael Malone's Handling Sin. It's sort of a Southern, comedy, mad-capped thing. I'm 200 pages in and still not sure how I feel about it. After having plowed through my last read - The Russian Concubine (which was not a short book to plow through!), I'm just plodding through this one. I'm going to stick with it for now. It's well written but not nearly as funny as my mother said it was. I guess not everyone is perfect with the book recommendations. I find it harder lately to stick with books I'm not really enjoying. There are so many books waiting to be read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2575564;
    I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, geek, and really enjoyed it. As the mother of two children with special needs, it evoked many emotions in me. I felt this book really got into the complicated thoughts and emotions of the characters and the lines between the traditional "good" character and "bad" character were considerable blurred.

I also enjoyed Practical Magic and am itching to discuss Garden Spells with you and remote goddess.
    I've also read The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I loved it, and feel similarly that the character lines/roles (good/bad) were movable within this novel. It was an emotional read, very powerful and I enjoyed it a great deal.

elk, you'll be pleased to know that I picked up Garden Spells over the weekend. Started it last night and just could not put it down! I expect I'll have it finished within the next day or two. I'll come back and post my opinion/thoughts then! But just wanted to thank you again for a really good recommendation!

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. What a brilliant series

FORT Regular

into James Patterson's Woman's Murder Club series, Keeps you reading.

Rona Jaffe's The Best of Everything from 1952, because it was mentioned in the series Mad Men. And I also got the DVD from the library and watched it.

I just started reading The Divide by Nicholas Evans and was immediately drawn into the story. He sure knows how to write a page turner, and I'm really enjoying the beautiful scenery, too, even though it's strictly vicarious.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Crit, I'm reading those same two in reverse order. I just finished The Rule of Four (loved the main plot, but they could never just GET to the damn plot!) and I'm starting on The Eight.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Geek, I read that one earlier this year and really liked (not loved) it. I guess I had different expectations after reading The Horse Whisperer... But I did really enjoy the story, and the writing itself was superb. Let me know what you think when you're done.

Okay, after all this talk about them, I think I may have to pick up these two - The Eight and Rule of Four so I can see what the fuss is all about!

Right now I'm reading a Sci-Fi book called The Weapon by Micheal Z. Williamson
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

+ Reply to Thread