+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2569461;
    elk, I loved Practical Magic, and your recommendation sounds wonderful. Thank you! I'm just finishing up Mexico by James Michener, so I need a new book, preferably one that's fast and fun and lighter reading than Michener. Not that he's not a fabulous author... It's just a completely different style.
    You are so welcome, Remote Goddess! I know you will enjoy it, please let me know your thoughts.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2569461;
    elk, I loved Practical Magic, and your recommendation sounds wonderful. Thank you! I'm just finishing up Mexico by James Michener, so I need a new book, preferably one that's fast and fun and lighter reading than Michener. Not that he's not a fabulous author... It's just a completely different style.
    I like Michnener, but by god, he's nothing if not complete! He covers Everything from the beginning of time.

I haven't read any of his stuff in a long while. I think I might go back and re-read him. I used to read him, Alastair McClain (loved him) and Robert Ludlum and loved those books. I may have to go revisit some old friends.

Used to love John D. MacDonald too and his Travis McGee series.

Anyone read the Randy Wayne White books about Doc Ford? I love that series and I used to live in the area he writes about, so its so cool to read stuff about places I know.

Tim Dorsey is good too. Weird, like Hiassen. If you read Dorsey, you need to start with his first one as it helps understand the characters in later ones. Same with Randy Wayne White. But Whites are mysterie/action/adventure.

Dorsey's are a bit different. More in the Carl Hiassen style, but about Tampa instead of Miami.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just a nice quick light read--Shopaholic and Sister. I love the Shopaholic books. They actually make me laugh out loud.

FORT Regular

I finished The Nanny Diaries.

I LOVED IT!!!! Amazing novel!!!!

I recently finished "The Poe Shadow" by Matthew Pearl. I must say I was disappointed with the book. I liked his first one, "The Dante Club", and thought from the previews that I had read that TPS would be really interesting. Well, I thought it was boring. I felt Pearl was trying too hard to make a literary thriller but the material he had to work with was just not right for it and instead it became a really confusing mash with even Napoleon III ending up involved in some far fetched way .

I'm enjoying "One Good Turn" by Kate Atkison, which I'm finally reading after having bought it almost two months ago, much more .

I'm reading The Doctor's Wife, a thriller. It's pretty fascinating so far! I anticipate many twists and turns!

I'm nearly to the end of The Rule of Four, by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

It's taking a while, because I really don't care for the style of writing these guys use. But the story itself is pretty interesting.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by owlie;2573456;
    Just a nice quick light read--Shopaholic and Sister. I love the Shopaholic books. They actually make me laugh out loud.
    LOVE the Shopaholic books. They do make you just laugh out loud.

I just got The Eight and The Labyrinth on reccomendations from this thread. Started The Labyrinth last night, but didn't get too far yet. Both sound really good.

I want to read Letters from Nuremberg by Sen. Chris Dodd. I'm a huge history buff and really into WWII history. These are letters from Dodd's father and mother while his father was an assit. prosecuter in Germany during the Nuremberg trials. And I met Dodd last year. Not that that has anything to do with it as it was no big deal. If I met him now, I'd have him sign the book.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

As a HUGE Alice Hoffman fan, I'm delighted to see so many positive inputs about Practical Magic. Garden Spells sounds wonderful, elk, I'll make sure to look for it the next time I'm on the prowl for a new read. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It is a beautiful, engaging read with an intriguing premise and an important theme. Fans of Anita Shreve and Jodi Picoult will almost definitely enjoy this. Has anyone read it? I'd love to discuss it.

Oh, and swingkat? One Good Turn is one of the best books I've read so far this year. Loved it.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 09-17-2007 at 05:38 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2575456;
    As a HUGE Alice Hoffman fan, I'm delighted to see so many positive inputs about Practical Magic. Garden Spells sounds wonderful, elk, I'll make sure to look for it the next time I'm on the prowl for a new read. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It is a beautiful, engaging read with an intriguing premise and an important theme. Fans of Anita Shreve and Jodi Picoult will almost definitely enjoy this. Has anyone read it? I'd love to discuss it.

Oh, and swingkat? One Good Turn is one of the best books I've read so far this year. Loved it.
    I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, geek, and really enjoyed it. As the mother of two children with special needs, it evoked many emotions in me. I felt this book really got into the complicated thoughts and emotions of the characters and the lines between the traditional "good" character and "bad" character were considerable blurred.

I also enjoyed Practical Magic and am itching to discuss Garden Spells with you and remote goddess.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread