+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I was curious as to how much Robert Harris' Imperium was based on fact and how much his imagination, so I am reading a biography of Cicero by Anthony Everitt.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Right now I'm reading Valley of the Horses by the same author that wrote Clan of the Cave Bear. I can't wait until her next book comes out
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Right now I'm reading "Lord Jim" by Conrad. I bought three classic books a couple of years ago (I'm a sucker for classics) with a gift certificate and have just now gotten around to reading them. I read "My Antonia" by Willa Cather and really liked it even thought it wasn't quite what I expected. I wanted more happy! The other book is "The House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton but I'm feeling a little daunted about that one. "Lord Jim" is okay so far. Conrad loves to throw around those nautical terms so I keep having to read the footnotes to know what is happening. But his scenery is really so beautiful and I imagine that what I'm seeing is what he was seeing when he was writing. Some of his passages about the sun, the water, the captain's skin, are so descriptive I can almost taste the surroundings. I'm excited to get into the soul of Jim and out of the sinking ship.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I'm finally getting around to "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini.

I'm not TOO far into it, but it's quite different than The Kite Runner. I can't actually use the word "enjoyable" to describe either of his books, but I do like his story-telling ability, and learning about the intricacies of a culture that I haven't been exposed to before.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2544746;
    I read "My Antonia" by Willa Cather and really liked it even thought it wasn't quite what I expected. I wanted more happy!
    You know, That's exactly how I felt about reading that three years ago for a high school English class. Oh well... I don't think I ever did finish it. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I felt like I was being punished. It isn't my kind of story. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, however!

I recently finished the last Harry Potter book. That's for a different thread, though.

I was at Barnes & Noble today and picked up a copy of the Grimm Fairy Tales. That should amuse me for a long time. I've been reading Sold by Patricia McCormick. It's a great read so far. I enjoy the style in which she wrote the story. It adds so much more to it (at least for me).
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi;2544768;
    You know, That's exactly how I felt about reading that three years ago for a high school English class. Oh well... I don't think I ever did finish it. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I felt like I was being punished. It isn't my kind of story. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, however!
    You know, I hated a lot of the books I was assigned in high school English class and then loved them when I read them voluntarily years later. Give My Antonia a try in a few years (when you have distance from h.s. traumas ) - maybe you'll feel differently about it.

I'm reading Jeffrey Deaver's The Twelfth Card at the moment. I picked it up the $1 at Borders last night. Gotta love that bargain bin! I have to say, this isn't my favorite of the Lincoln Rhyme books. I really loved The Cold Moon, the most recent of the series in paperback. Still, this one is a page turner and a nice break from the heavier reading I need to get back to soon. I'm reading The Mysteries of the Rectangle by Siri Hustvedt, a book of essays on art, for the book club at work. I'm enjoying it, but it requires active reading and I just wanted a little break. The Deaver has been perfect for that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I feel so deprived. I was never assigned any classic books in high school so had to read them all later. Maybe it's a blessing, though, because I've loved so many. There's a reason they're classics. I adore Of Human Bondage and Tom Jones and all the Bronte books. The only classic I've never been able to get through is A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I read about half of it and gave up and haven't been able to pick it up since. Even though it's a really small book. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason to try to start again??
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2544796;
    I adore Of Human Bondage and Tom Jones and all the Bronte books.
    Really? I haven't read any of the Bronte books, but I have heard so much about them. I remember that we studied the Bronte sisters in English classes that I have taken. I just don't think I've ever read any of the books before. This may be the time for me to check into it.

Critical: I think that you're right, too. I should definitely re-visit some of the books I was forced to read in high school. Maybe I'll actually finish some of them.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

If you're still smarting from Willa Cather I wouldn't suggest Bronte just yet They're love stories but it's anguished love. It's all sadness for a bittersweet ending. Not a sweeping, soaring ending but instead a timid acceptance of life and contentment. They're fantastic books but it's kind of a mature and powerful love story that realizes that no ending is truly happy, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi;2544803;
    Critical: I think that you're right, too. I should definitely re-visit some of the books I was forced to read in high school. Maybe I'll actually finish some of them.
    Hey, it took me ten years to try Jane Eyre again! I loved it and wondered why I hated it so much in h.s.

burntbrat - I love many classics, but I never have been able to get through Vanity Fair (sorry CCL ). I've tried it a few times and just never "got it." I've also had problems with Middlemarch, but vowed to try again. My favorites are Hardy and Austen. There was actually a course offered on just those two authors and I almost broke down and signed up for it, but I was worried that dissecting them would kill my love of them.

I'm sorry you never had to deal with the trauma of being assigned classics in high school only to love them as an adult! I remember having to read all kinds of classics way back then. I remember hating Moll Flanders my sophomore year and then reading it again as an undergrad and enjoying it quite a bit. I read lots of American classics in my junior year, including Bridge of San Luis Rey, Farenheit 451 and Catcher in the Rye, which the teacher gave us on a Friday, which I then read over the weekend and which he then proceeded to read aloud to us the following Monday We did lots of poetry my senior year, but I do remember resenting Jane Eyre The thing is, I was always the kid in class who had another book hidden behind the text book during class. My English teacher used to tease me about it. Clearly, I had issues with authority.

On sort of a side note, I saw Becoming Jane the other day and it made me want to read more Ann Radcliffe. I read The Italian (considered the first Gothic novel, I believe) and loved it. I have several others of hers that are calling to me from the bookshelf right now! She was so influential and groundbreaking that I really feel like I should read more of her work.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread