+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by spellboundboy;2525155;
    I'm more of a realistic fiction/historic fiction/biography/sociology/reference.

My ultimate goal is to finish my 1,252 page book The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
    I need to read more books with substance. Classical books would help.

In the Social Sciences section at B&N I have been eyeing this book called "Ghettonation".

Any suggestions on books that really have a GREAT impact within telling an entertaining story?
    Winston Churchill's The Second World War is a very interesting series. It's 6 volumes, a LOT to read, but if you liked the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, then Churchill's book is also very good. But I am a history major and specializing in WWII. But I found this to be a long read, but worth it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Despite mixed reviews here, I picked up "The Ruins" (mostly because it had a favorable blurb from Stephen King. ). It certainly did a good job of keeping up tension -- no chapters! But .... well, it was dreary. Once you figured out what was going on, it was really just a matter of seeing who, if anyone, would survive. I'm going to have to go find something lighthearted to read before bed now.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

AJane: I love Marjorie Morningstar (book not movie). My Mom gave me her copy of that book when I was about 13. I still re-read it. Who wouldn't fall in love with Noel?

MRD: I love the Miss Julia books too!

Sophie Kinsella's books are just hilariousl. I used to be a Shopahlic (does six pairs of shoes equal a 12 step program?). I'm in re-hab now.

Happy page turning!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2531364;
    Despite mixed reviews here, I picked up "The Ruins" (mostly because it had a favorable blurb from Stephen King. ). It certainly did a good job of keeping up tension -- no chapters! But .... well, it was dreary. Once you figured out what was going on, it was really just a matter of seeing who, if anyone, would survive. I'm going to have to go find something lighthearted to read before bed now.
    Is it out in paperback yet? I want to read it despite the lukewarm reviews, although I have to say your low opinion on it makes me a bit hesistant. We usually tend to go for the same kind of books, so if you didn't like it, I might not be crazy about it, either.

Moving on to the opposite of lukewarm: One Good Turn, the second book in Kate Atkinson's wonderful Jackson Brodie series, is FINALLY out in paperback! I started it on the bus to work this morning and almost missed my stop. Kate Atkinsons is just amazing; I adore her hilarious, unpredictable, and beautifully written novels. Her characters are always slightly bizarre but endearing, and my, does she have a way with words. She's probably one of my top 10 favourite contemporary authors.

Anyone else who's a fan of ms Atkinson?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I love Kate Atkinson! I haven't read that one -- I read the one before it just earlier this summer. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

The Ruins IS out in paperback, Geek. So it's not a huge loss if you buy it and hate it. I guess I'm not being fair, it WAS atmospheric and built up a lot of tension and horror, and I certainly was into it enough to keep turning the pages. I just found it to be a downer.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2531768;
    AJane: I love Marjorie Morningstar (book not movie). My Mom gave me her copy of that book when I was about 13. I still re-read it. Who wouldn't fall in love with Noel?
    I'll be damned...that's exactly how I got the book, and at about that age. I had to buy a replacement copy some years back because I loaned my original to a friend who lost it.

I just started Rant-An Oral Biography of Buster Casey, Chuck Palahniuk's latest. I'm almost afraid to pick it back up tonight, in case I can't put it down. I've become a huge fan of his work.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2531768;
    My mother also gave me Marjorie Morningstar when I was about 13, the summer just before I started high school - I'd forgotten all about that book until you two mentioned it! Now I feel like I've broken a time-honored tradition of giving it to my daughter when she was 13 - she's 20, so I'd better get on it before anymore time passes.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fogey

Can somebody tell me what happens in the end of the new Ender's Game?

I read The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu yesterday and loved it. I can't even begin to do it justice. Here's the summary from Amazon:
    Barely suppressed despair and black wit infuse this beautifully observed debut from Ethiopian émigré Mengestu. Set over eight months in a gentrifying Washington, D.C., neighborhood in the 1970s, it captures an uptick in Ethiopian grocery store owner Sepha Stephanos's long-deferred hopes, as Judith, a white academic, fixes up the four-story house next to his apartment building, treats him to dinner and lets him steal a kiss. Just as unexpected is Sepha's friendship with Judith's biracial 11-year-old daughter, Naomi (one of the book's most vivid characters), over a copy of The Brothers Karamazov. Mengestu adds chiaroscuro with the story of Stephanos's 17-year exile from his family and country following his father's murder by revolutionary soldiers. After long days in the dusty, barely profitable shop, Sepha's two friends, Joseph from Congo and Kenneth from Kenya, joke with Sepha about African dictators and gently mock his romantic aspirations, while the neighborhood's loaded racial politics hang over Sepha and Judith's burgeoning relationship like a sword of Damocles. The novel's dirge-like tone may put off readers looking for the next Kite Runner, but Mengestu's assured prose and haunting set pieces (especially a series of letters from Stephanos's uncle to Jimmy Carter, pleading that he respect "the deep friendship between our two countries") are heart-rending and indelible.
    This was Mengestu's first novel and I can't wait to see what he does next.

I'm now reading Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart. It's about the world wide flower industry and, as boring as that sounds, it's really fantastic. That probably has as much to do with the actual subject as it does with Stewart's writing style. She has a lovely, engaging voice that would probably make almost anything interesting to read about. I've already read about the man who created the Star Gazer lily and am now reading about the quest to create a blue rose. I don't think I'll ever look at flowers the same way again.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

^ Some time ago, I can't remember exactly when, I read an article in National Geographic about the world wide flower industry. I thought it was very interesting and I would love to read more on the subject so thanks for the tip.

+ Reply to Thread