+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Has anyone ever read "Ender's Game"?

I'm sorry, but it is such an awful book. I STRUGGLED to finish it, and after 9 chapters, I had more than enough.

It is hardly Sci-Fi and it has only been out for 5 or 6 years and everyone is acting like it is a literary masterpiece.

I'm gonna go back to Diane Arbus: A Biography.

Quote Originally Posted by spellboundboy;2520166;

I'm sorry, but it is such an awful book. I STRUGGLED to finish it, and after 9 chapters, I had more than enough.

It is hardly Sci-Fi and it has only been out for 5 or 6 years and everyone is acting like it is a literary masterpiece.
    You must have a new edition. Ender's Game was written in 1985.

I read it last year and loved it. I found it to be well written and thought the story was still very timely. For me, a book about space wars in the future is ALL SciFi! What exactly didn't you like about it?

Geek - thanks for the little "pre-review" of Eclipse I can't afford to get it right now, but I'll be saving up my pennies to buy it soon.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I just don't like the dragging sentences, the futuristic lingo, the language (not cursing, just simple dialect). I'm not a real fan of Sci-Fi.

I haven't read much this summer - a couple of Stephen Kings, Everything's Eventual (because I was planning to go see 1408, which I never did get around to) and The Regulators (hated the ending ), then did a huge switch and re-read Rebecca - I was rooting through some old boxes at my mom's house and found my long-lost copy. Has anyone seen the movie version of it? Didn't BBC do a mini-series at some point?

I'm now making my way through Bethel Merriday, and I must say that Sinclair Lewis is treating poor Bethel quite harshly. The story really does have a lot of parallels to Marjorie Morningstar (and it was written before MM - I checked) but Lewis' portrayal of Bethel is more aloof, and slightly contemptuous. My only problem with the book is that there's far too many characters for the length of the story - confusing to keep up with.

I found this article when I googled "Marjorie Morningstar" (the movie sucks, btw) - very interesting and spot-on, I thought. Why do women love Marjorie Morningstar? - By Alana Newhouse - Slate Magazine
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

elk

Quote Originally Posted by spellboundboy;2520166;

I'm gonna go back to Diane Arbus: A Biography.
    I read this about twenty years ago and had the same experience you did, spellboundboy. I also tried to read the others in the series and found they just weren't for me!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

FORT Fogey

I'm more of a realistic fiction/historic fiction/biography/sociology/reference.

My ultimate goal is to finish my 1,252 page book The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

I need to read more books with substance. Classical books would help.

In the Social Sciences section at B&N I have been eyeing this book called "Ghettonation".

Any suggestions on books that really have a GREAT impact within telling an entertaining story?

I've almost finished The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares. Meh. I find it humdrum and have stuck with it just to see the ending. A couple more chapters and I can dive into Eclipse. I've missed Edward. *sigh*
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Premium Member

It looks like I'm going to be off work for another couple of weeks so I'm thinking of starting Desperation by Stephen King. I started it once but didn't get very far, so now that I can't really do much I thought maybe I could get back into it.

MRD

I can't remember who, but someone on this thread got me started on the Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross. I have LOVED them and am reading the latest now.

The author lives about an hour from me in Hendersonville, NC and does events up there, so I'm waiting for her to do one so I can get a signed book.
    I love reading those books as they remind me so much of how I grew up. I had an aunt very similar to Miss Julia. And I'm Presbyterian like Miss Julia. Lived in a small town that thrived on gossip, so the books are like a trip home for me.
    Thanks to who reccomended them.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2518310;

I just finished my second run through Harry Potter and am on to other things. I just started Jack Finney's Time and Again, which is one my mother sent to me. I was a little cold on it at first - I almost called my mother to ask her what the deal was - but now I'm really loving it. It's not a new book - I think it was written in 1970. It's about time travel. So far, the main character has managed to travel back to 1882 NYC, which is one of my favorite eras. It took about 100 pages before I really got into it, but now I can hardly put it down.

This is one of my FAVORITE books. I have loved it since I first read it when it came out. I've read it several times. About time to re-read it.

If you like time travel, try the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldron. It's a time travel/historical/romance series. I loved all the books and have been re-reading them when I run out of reading material from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl_21;2508495;
    Does anyone here read Sophie Kinsella books? I have read 3 of them and they are quite nice, and entertaining. I am never bored with them. I read The Undomestic Goddess, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Can You Keep A Secret?
    I am currenly reading Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.
    Her books are a light and hysterical read. I've loved them all. Very funny books.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-15-2007 at 08:40 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The Abduction of Julia - Karen Hawkins. It's a historical romance. So far it's okay.

+ Reply to Thread