+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

CCL

Re: What are you reading?

Currently reading: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde. Thursday Next is now 52 and has three children: Friday, Tuesday and Jenny. SpecOps has been disbanded but she still continues with her LiteraTec and JurisFiction work only now she does it undercover. It's pretty good but I do get a bit confused by the intricacies of BookWorld sometimes.

Next Up: Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I think it comes out next week. She was the subject of the Author's Profile in Entertainment Weekly this week (The issue came out yesterday. Matt Damon is on the cover).
    Last edited by CCL; 08-03-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2503409;
    Next Up: Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I think it comes out next week. She was the subject of the Author's Profile in Entertainment Weekly this week (The issue came out yesterday. Matt Damon is on the cover).
    I just got my EW. There's a Q&A on line as well. Link.

Thanks for the link CCL! It's nice to see Stephenie's smiling face. We miss her around here!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That's right, there's a new Stephenie Meyer coming out soon! WOO-HOO!

"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2505217;
    Thanks for the link CCL! It's nice to see Stephenie's smiling face. We miss her around here!
    Not me - the link was from PhoneGrrrl. Thanks, PhoneGrrrl!

Finished First Among Sequels. I found it a bit slow going at first but it picked up around a third of the way in.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The ending was a bit of a cliff-hanger so it seems that there will be at least one more Thursday Next book.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2506285;
    Not me - the link was from PhoneGrrrl. Thanks, PhoneGrrrl!
    Yes well, reading is fundamental. Thanks PG!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Does anyone here read Sophie Kinsella books? I have read 3 of them and they are quite nice, and entertaining. I am never bored with them. I read The Undomestic Goddess, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Can You Keep A Secret?
    I am currenly reading Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.

I'm stuck reading 'The Scarlet Letter' for a summer assignment. I have to do this huge paper on it afterwards. It's not much fun, haha. Besides the fact that I can't understand half the things being said in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl_21;2508495;
    Does anyone here read Sophie Kinsella books? I have read 3 of them and they are quite nice, and entertaining. I am never bored with them. I read The Undomestic Goddess, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Can You Keep A Secret?
    If I'm not mistaken, there are several Sophie Kinsella readers on this board. Right, elk? I read Can You Keep a Secret? a while ago and enjoyed it, and continued befriending Kinsella last weekend, when I read The Undomestic Goddess. It was the ideal summer read: light, breezy and fun with a relatable heroine you just have to root for. I'll read the Shopaholic series next. Are the Shopaholic novels as good as her stand-alone ones?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl_21;2508495;
    Absolutely correct, Geek . I love these books; they are light and entertaining. I have two more to go: Shopaholic and Sister, plus Shopaholic and Baby.

Kinsella also writes under the pseudonym Madeleine Wickam. Her list is:
    • The Tennis Party
    • A Desirable Residence
    • Swimming Pool Sunday
    • The Wedding Girl
    • Cocktails for Three
    • The Gatecrasher (just about to start reading it)

From the bookflap, they sound similar to her other stuff which is fine with me.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread