+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore (daughter of Al and former writer for Futurama and Saturday Night Live). It's pretty amusing so far.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I finally finished Memoirs of Geisha. Loved it.

Just started reading the First Harry Potter book.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Just started a novel I've been wanting to read for quite a while, Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Has anyone read it? It was the 2002 recipient of the Pulitzer prize, and it's been made into an Emmy-awarded mini series starring Paul Newman. I'm a sucker for anything with smalltown Maine in it, so I'm bound to like it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Finally finished Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil I loooooooved it and now I can't wait to visit Savannah in two weeks!!

For a change of pace I just started Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire. He wrote Wicked, which I loved as well as Mirror, Mirror (a Snow White story). My 3 year old daughter wants to play Cinderella 24/7, so it's kind of fitting and refreshing to get an adult perspective on that story.

Geek: I watched some of the HBO miniseries of Empire Falls. I did not think it made a very exciting adaptation, but I imagine it is a great book. I still adore Paul Newman though. Saw him play the Stage Manager in Our Town on Broadway. My husband and I had great seats and a great view of his baby blues. Hey, speaking of husbands, congratulations MARRIED WOMAN!!!

I am saving Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (also a Pulitzer winner) for my vaca to Hilton Head in a week and a half. If anyone thinks this is a bad choice please let me know.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Quote Originally Posted by JFlo;2498666;
    Finally finished Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil I loooooooved it and now I can't wait to visit Savannah in two weeks!!
    You're going to Savannah? Lucky! Tell us all about it when you return. I love how John Berendt made Savannah so vivid, it felt like an actual person.

Geek: I watched some of the HBO miniseries of Empire Falls. I did not think it made a very exciting adaptation, but I imagine it is a great book. I still adore Paul Newman though. Saw him play the Stage Manager in Our Town on Broadway. My husband and I had great seats and a great view of his baby blues. Hey, speaking of husbands, congratulations MARRIED WOMAN!!!
    Thank you! I imagine that Empire Falls makes a much better book than film adaption; it's quite slow and character-based. Someone compared Richard Russo to Anne Tyler, and they do have a similar eye for small town quirkiness and tend to invest a lot of time in their characters. I haven't read enough to expand on it, though.

I am saving Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (also a Pulitzer winner) for my vaca to Hilton Head in a week and a half. If anyone thinks this is a bad choice please let me know.
    Oooh, someone's in for a real treat! I adored every single page of that book and envy anyone who hasn't read it yet. Make sure to tell me what you think.

elk

Congratulations and Mazel Tov, Geek! What exciting news! Wishing you an exciting and happy life.

I just finished Peony in Love by Lisa See and I was enchanted by this beautiful book. Anyone who enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha or Amy Tan novels should like this. This afternoon, I am picking up another Lisa See novel from my library to read.

I am two thirds of the way through The Kite Runner and am hooked. The descriptions are almost lyrical and so truthful. I love the character of Hassan and can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Last week, I read The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella and found it every bit as entertaining as her 'Shopaholic' series.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Undomestic Goddess, elk. I read Can You Keep a Secret? recently and loved it. If you haven't read it already, you definitely should. Oh, and thank you!

Continuing my Denise Mina obsession, I picked up her brand new novel The Last Breath yesterday. I love the Paddy Meehan series - she's such a real and endearing anti-heroine, and the insights into 1980's Glasgow make the series so much more than just another crime series. I think I'm putting Empire Falls on hold until I've finished this. Don't get me wrong, so far I've enjoyed it very much, but since I anticipate that The Last Breath will be a quick read, Richard Russo will just have to wait a few days. Then I'll be all his.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2500328;
    Glad to hear you enjoyed The Undomestic Goddess, elk. I read Can You Keep a Secret? recently and loved it. If you haven't read it already, you definitely should. Oh, and thank you!
    Oh, I forgot to mention that, Geek. I did read Can You Keep a Secret? and found it charming. Kinsella certainly has a way with a heroine, doesn't she?

I have to ask, is your avatar a pic of your wedding?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2500339;

I have to ask, is your avatar a pic of your wedding?
    It sure is, and if you go to General Discussion, you'll find a thread full of wedding pictures. The thread is called "My big, fat, Swedish wedding".

Glad you enjoyed Can I Keep a Secret. I loved the main character and rooted for her all the way. I find reading chick lit novels relexes me when I'm stressed. It's nice to indulge in a bit of mind candy inbetween longer, more ambitious reads, but it's hard to find good writers. Sophie Kinsella is definitely one of the best chick lit writers out there in my opinion: light and entertaining, well-written with believable characters and plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.

ETA: Actually, I think I'll go to the nearest book store and buy The Undomestic Goddess as soon as I've finished work. I'm feeling a bit stressed out with everyone else in the office on vacation, so I reckon I need some chick lit to unwind. Thanks for mentioning Kinsella in the first place! This way, I'm bound to have a nice ending to a stressful day.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 08-02-2007 at 09:23 AM.

I refuse to read anything that makes me think too hard . I get enough of that for work. So I just finished Jinx by Meg Cabot.

+ Reply to Thread