+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

As if I haven't posted the title of this book enough... Auriel Rising by Elizabeth Redfern is an amazing read. I'm almost done with it, and I'm thrilled to find out what happens in the end!

I just received my copy of the last Harry Potter installment. I'm incredibly anxious to start reading it. In fact, I've tried to start ten times already. I just can't bring myself to finish the Harry Potter saga. Nervous Breakdown Imminent. lol
    Last edited by ixcrisxi; 07-22-2007 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I've been in the mood for a bit of crime lately, so over the weekend I read Gone by Jonathan Kellerman. It was my first Alex Delaware but not my first Kellerman (I read The Conspiracy Club last year) and I liked it well enough to want to continue reading. Kellerman knows how to keep his readers hooked. I have to say, though, that I found his protaganist a bit full of himself, and his use of language doesn't exactly rival Shakespeare. Still, every once in a while I feel like reading something that fills the spot without being too complicated, and Gone definitely kept me entertained.

While I'm waiting for the third installment in the Paddy Meehan quartet, I'm reading the second book, The Dead Hour. I can't get enough of Denise Mina. Paddy Meehan is the most sympathetic protoganist in a crime novel I've come across in a long, long time. All Mina's characters are flawed but deeply human, and her account of Glasgow in the 1980's is 100% captivating. I know I'm nagging here, but if you feel like discovering a new star in British crime, do look up Denise Mina. Her Garnethill trilogy also comes highly recommended by yours truly.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2486557;
    I've been in the mood for a bit of crime lately, so over the weekend I read Gone by Jonathan Kellerman. It was my first Alex Delaware but not my first Kellerman (I read The Conspiracy Club last year) and I liked it well enough to want to continue reading. Kellerman knows how to keep his readers hooked. I have to say, though, that I found his protaganist a bit full of himself, and his use of language doesn't exactly rival Shakespeare. Still, every once in a while I feel like reading something that fills the spot without being too complicated, and Gone definitely kept me entertained.
    Geek - I'm a big fan of both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. His books are definitely very.... male One of the things I really love about the Alex Delaware series is the character of Milo Sturgis. There are lots of gay characters in fiction, but Milo is definitely not a gay stereotype in any way. If you like Jonathan, you should give Faye's series a try. Her books are a nice mix of crime fiction and Orthodox Judaism - those two blend better than you'd think!

You're right - not all writers in that genre are masters of prose, but they're often still really satisfying. I consider thrillers/mysteries/crime novels to be kind of like chewing gum - you don't get much nutrition from them, but they're fun and they keep the muscles working.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I really liked Milo Sturgis, too. To me, he felt like the most "real" character of the novel, and I liked how his being gay was handled - subtely and matter-of-factly, without turning him into a stereotype. And yep, gotta love the chewing gum equivalent of literature. Are the Jonathan and Faye Kellerman collaborations any good?

Oh, and while I'm at it, I might as well ask you about a recently published crime novel you read about a month ago and wrote several posts about in this thread. As I recall, you really liked it and talked about how it kept you hooked throughout, despite being quite long. What was it called again? I remember recognising the author's name, but it wasn't someone I'm overly familiar with. Sorry for being so vague, but, here's the thing: I found myself at the book store looking for a crime fix the other day and your posts came to mind, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the title of the novel. Ring any bell?
    Last edited by geek the girl; 07-24-2007 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2487827;
    Critical, I really liked Milo Sturgis, too. To me, he felt like the most "real" character of the novel, and I liked how his being gay was handled - subtely and matter-of-factly, without turning him into a stereotype. And yep, gotta love the chewing gum equivalent of literature. Are the Jonathan and Faye Kellerman collaborations any good?
    I've only read one of the Kellerman collaborations and it was....okay. I love their writing, but it wasn't a case of the two talents making a superior product. I'm sure they had fun writing though. I enjoy Jonathan and Faye's individual efforts much more. Both of them write really "quick reads" with characters that, for me at least, have become like old friends.
    Oh, and while I'm at it, I might as well ask you about a recently published crime novel you read about a month ago and wrote several posts about in this thread. As I recall, you really liked it and talked about how it kept you hooked throughout, despite being quite long. What was it called again? I remember recognising the author's name, but it wasn't someone I'm overly familiar with. Sorry for being so vague, but, here's the thing: I found myself at the book store looking for a crime fix the other day and your posts came to mind, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the title of the novel. Ring any bell?
    It was Jeffrey Deaver's The Cold Moon - the latest in the Lincoln Rhyme/Amelia Sachs novels. The Bone Collector is probably the most well-known of the series. It's one of my favorite series, both for the relationships and for the forensic science Deaver weaves into the plot, along with some NYC history. Deaver has written other "stand alone" books, but I like the Rhyme/Sachs series best.

Well, I'm back to reading the Harry Potter series all the way through. I only got part-way through #5 when the newest book came, so I, of course, had to immediately read that one! I'm now back to reading #5, after which I'll do #6 and then re-read #7 again (maybe a little slower this time! )
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Re-read? All the way through?? You're crazy! Ha ha... I'm only 8 pages through the last book, and I keep stopping because I never want it to end. I know, I know... It's a bit obsessive, but I may have to re-read the sixth book so that I can prolong the experience even further.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2486836;
    Geek - I'm a big fan of both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. His books are definitely very.... male One of the things I really love about the Alex Delaware series is the character of Milo Sturgis. There are lots of gay characters in fiction, but Milo is definitely not a gay stereotype in any way. If you like Jonathan, you should give Faye's series a try. Her books are a nice mix of crime fiction and Orthodox Judaism - those two blend better than you'd think!
    Totally agree about Milo. Kellerman introduced him as a secondary character many years ago, before it became popular (for want of a better word) to do so. Milo totally broke any stereotypes at the time and I've always loved his dry wittiness.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2488284;
    It was Jeffrey Deaver's The Cold Moon - the latest in the Lincoln Rhyme/Amelia Sachs novels. The Bone Collector is probably the most well-known of the series. It's one of my favorite series, both for the relationships and for the forensic science Deaver weaves into the plot, along with some NYC history. Deaver has written other "stand alone" books, but I like the Rhyme/Sachs series best.
    Jeffrey Deaver, that's it! I thought it rang a bell. I really enjoyed the movie version of The Bone Collector and made a mental note to check out Deaver's writing, but somehow never got around to it. Thanks, Critical!

For Critical here are some thoughts on Imperium by Robert Harris.
    The big caveat to reading this book is that it ends just as things are about to become really interesting for Cicero during his term as consul. So for someone who knows the history of th period it has a bit of a "to be continued" feel to it. The novel covers 3 events in Cicero's early political life: his prosecution of Verres for corruption, his efforts to get a special command for Pompey to defeat the pirates and his campaign for consul. Because there isn't a central issue (other than being about Cicero), it kind of feels like a series of short stories or novellas rather than one novel.
    Having said that I enjoyed Imperium and I think you will too. I didn't really like Enigma, but I like Robert Harris's other novels. Because of his closeness to Cicero, Tiro makes the perfect narrator. The story moves along and Harris does a good job of recreating the period (there were only a few phrases that seemed like anachronisms to me - eg " draft dodger"). Even though most people who would read this likely know Cicero's ultimate fate, the novel still feels like a thriller. The politics of the period were pretty dangerous and Harris does a good job of making the reader feel the risky path that Cicero took. (As a new man, the chances of Cicero making it all the way to consul had to be pretty slim). I do hope that Harris continues the career of Cicero with another novel. His next novel to be published is a modern political novel.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I just finished 'Desire In The Sun' by Karen Robards. One of the best books I've ever read. I loved it.

+ Reply to Thread