+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am also re-reading the Harry Potter books. My new one will take awhile to get here from the UK though so I will be avoiding threads like the plague. Right now I am half way through Goblet of Fire.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fan

I checked out Naturally Clean Home from the library. It's a great read. I am getting rid of all of the typical cleaning products and making my own stuff. It's quite cheap and easy, actually. And I like the idea of not having to wear gloves or hold my breath while cleaning. I've read several "green" cleaning books. This one is by far the best. Covers everything from the kitchen sink to stains on clothes to car maintenance.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2478215;
    I checked out Naturally Clean Home from the library. It's a great read. I am getting rid of all of the typical cleaning products and making my own stuff. It's quite cheap and easy, actually. And I like the idea of not having to wear gloves or hold my breath while cleaning. I've read several "green" cleaning books. This one is by far the best. Covers everything from the kitchen sink to stains on clothes to car maintenance.
    I also like this type of book. I recently read "How to Cheat at Cleaning" and got some terrific ideas. Anything that makes cleaning seem less like cleaning sounds good to me!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I've been rereading the Harry Potter books, but backward, so I haven't reread the first three recently. No time before my new one arrives from Amazon Saturday, though, because I'm in the midst of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, recommended here and quite liked so far by me.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Imperium by Robert Harris
    A novel on the life of Cicero as narrated by Tiro
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by William13;2478921;
    Imperium by Robert Harris
    A novel on the life of Cicero as narrated by Tiro
    I've been wanting to read that one, William! Please give us a review when you're done.

As soon as I'm done with Harry Potter (probably early Sunday morning! ) I'm planning to re-read The Hobbit and the LOTR series. I used read them one every year or so and I haven't done that since the movies came out.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

Elk, here's another title for you ... if you like this kind of thing I've not read it yet (it's coming to me from the library) but it should be useful. It's called How to Grow Fresh Air - 50 Houseplants that Purify Your Home or Office. I am excited to get this one. I'll post about it after I get through reading it.

Close to being done with Sarum: The Novel of England, by Edward Rutherfurd. On page 915 and still not finished-- this one is long, but worth it! Have been reading it on my Canadian fishing trip I just got back from. The novel takes place starting almost 10K years ago at the end of the last ice age, and continues up to about the time the novel was published around 20 years ago. Takes place in the region of Salisbury, and follows five families down through the ages. Though an engaging read, there is are the issues of the characters not having much depth, and a lot of them to keep track of, and being a little predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by pakacat;2485579;
    Close to being done with Sarum: The Novel of England, by Edward Rutherfurd. On page 915 and still not finished-- this one is long, but worth it! Have been reading it on my Canadian fishing trip I just got back from. The novel takes place starting almost 10K years ago at the end of the last ice age, and continues up to about the time the novel was published around 20 years ago. Takes place in the region of Salisbury, and follows five families down through the ages. Though an engaging read, there is are the issues of the characters not having much depth, and a lot of them to keep track of, and being a little predictable.
    I loved Sarum! Have you read any of Rutherfurd's other books? I've read The Forest, Russka and London and I think Sarum might still be my favorite, followed closely by Russka. Rutherfurd has such a talent for bringing history to life and making it believable.

I'm just 40 pages from the end of Harry Potter 7 and, darn it, I had to put it down to come to work for a few hours. I can't wait to get home and finish it. In the meantime, I have The Hobbit with me. I normally read it once a year and I've been lax about that since the LOTR movies came out. Time to revisit old friends.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Haven't read any of his other works, but will definitely check them out now!

+ Reply to Thread