+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

I am an avid audiobook fan, and listen to all new Sandra Brown and Patterson books. I just finished Slow Heat in Heaven (or something like that) by Brown, 6th Target by Patterson, and am now on One False Move by Harlen Coban. I loved Coban's Promise me so much - the Myron Bolitar series that I went back and bought all the oldest Bolitar series, which Coban is just now doing in audio - they go quickly and are so much fun (he's a sports agent, former FBI guy, so great combo of my interests - sports and mysteries).

I use to love reading the Lord of the Rings books, but now I just read my Bible sometimes.

I finished The Luncheon of the Boating Party this week, finally. Definitely two big thumbs up. Vreeland has a way of making events come alive and, even though her recreation of history can't be 100% accurate, it sure feels that way.

I've now begun my week-long Harry Potter marathon, re-reading the first six books before the final one is released. I read book #1 yesterday and am on to #2. Book #7 is ordered and should be delivered next Saturday I plan to come home from work with my book, lock the front door, turn off the phone and stay up all night until I finish it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical!

Your plan for July 21st sounds a lot like mine . I also preordered the book ages ago and hope it will come in time *keeping fingers crossed*.

And yes Lucy, there's a new Kate Atkinson out. I also hope to get that one in about a week's time. Oohhh, nothing better than two great books waiting to be read .

Where The Wind Comes Sweeping Down The Plains

i am reading twilight by stephenie meyer.....................
    its kinda like a vampire love/action/comedy story.
    i HIGHLY recommend this series. the book after twilight is
    new moon. the third book, eclipse, comes out on august 7th, 2007

FORT Newbie

I also love Twilight, New Moon, etc... Do you know stephenie visit/visited this forum? If you don´t believe ask Shazzer

XXX
    Last edited by Mariner; 07-15-2007 at 01:55 AM.

The Field of Blood by Denise Mina, the first novel in the critically acclaimed Paddy Meehan series. (The second installment, The Dead Hour was published in 2006, and the third novel will be out sometime this year.) So far, I'm loving it. Denise Mina's characters are so real, it's like you've met them in real life. The crime story is captivating as well, but it is Mina's description of her flawed but achingly real "heroine" - a young, slightly overweight junior reporter struggling to get recognition by her senior collegues - as well as the gritty, depressing feel of Thatcher-era Glasgow that really leaves an impression. Denise Mina is arguably one of the most talented British crime novelists of today, but she is so much more than that.

Has anyone else read anything by Denise Mina? I can't wait for the continuation of the Paddy Meehan series; I'll get the second novel as soon as I return to Stockholm, and will eagerly await the third one.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

While waiting for other library holds, I've finished:
    Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and Shopaholic Ties the Knot. Neither were disappointing; both had the humour and twists of the original book.

I also finished Night Swimming - a really good book (and laugh out loud funny in parts) about an overweight, empowered bank robber on the lam and looking for love. Never before has Gene Hackman been so funny (he is not the author, but a character in the book)!

Another chick lit, The Next Big Thing is about another overweight female who goes on a reality show geared toward women losing weight. I loved the inside look at reality tv and found this another really quick read.

I am halfway through Blaze by Richard Bachman which I am really involved in. Quite a change from the last four I read, this one reminds me of King's earlier work and characters.

Beside my bed is the latest Koontz. Has anyone noticed his latest protagonists all seem to have the same personality? Sarcastic loners who think they are funny. All become extraordinary everyday heroes.

Wow, I have read more books since my March surgeries than I have in five years! This is like when I was a kid and I used to read 9 library books per week!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2474238;
    I've now begun my week-long Harry Potter marathon, re-reading the first six books before the final one is released. I read book #1 yesterday and am on to #2. Book #7 is ordered and should be delivered next Saturday I plan to come home from work with my book, lock the front door, turn off the phone and stay up all night until I finish it.
    Critical, I'm re-reading all the books, too! I finished 4 last night and started on 5... I should be done with the last two by Saturday. I might be suffering from severe sleep deprivation come Sunday afternoon, but there's no way I'm not reading 7 immediately. The suspense is really getting to me. I've got HP on the brain in a major way, with the new movie, re-reading the books, and all the speculation on the final installment... I just can't wait for it to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2476650;
    Critical, I'm re-reading all the books, too! I finished 4 last night and started on 5... I should be done with the last two by Saturday. I might be suffering from severe sleep deprivation come Sunday afternoon, but there's no way I'm not reading 7 immediately. The suspense is really getting to me. I've got HP on the brain in a major way, with the new movie, re-reading the books, and all the speculation on the final installment... I just can't wait for it to be over.
    I read 3 yesterday and started 4. I'm about 150 pages in and should definitely finish it today or tomorrow at the latest. Barring any unforseen complications (like real life! ), I'm on schedule to finish them by Saturday as well. I'm planning on being totally out of it by Sunday morning too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread