+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by ThehappyCynic;2463128;
    After Dark by Haruki Murakami
    Oooh, how are you liking it so far? I adore anything Murakami and have been dying to read this one.

As for me, I just started The Sonnet Lover by Carol Goodman. Set in New York and Tuscany, its main ingredients include murder, scholarly feuds, and a lost Shakespeare sonnet. I've devoured each and every one of Goodman's literary suspense novels, and this appears to be right up there with her previous work.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and Body Surfing.

Now reading Suite Francaise.

All good reads.............no duds!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0;2465086;
    Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns
    reading ATSS now, finally. It's really great so far.

I just finished Living in a Foreign Language by Michael Tucker. Yes, the Michael Tucker from L.A. Law. It's a memoir of sorts about him and his wife Jill Eikenberry and the house they built in Umbria. It's a similar story to Under the Tuscan Sun, but I actually found these two more likable than Frances Mayes. Tucker is a surprisingly (at least to me) good writer and his humor just shines through. By the end of the book, after reading his enthusiastic descriptions of Italian food and life, I was ready to chuck it all and move off to live in a hill town in Italy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For no other reason than a woman at work was giving away a bunch of books and this seemed the most interesting I am reading The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by William13;2466920;
    For no other reason than a woman at work was giving away a bunch of books and this seemed the most interesting I am reading The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine.
    I love Barbara Vine, loved The Chimney Sweeper's Boy, and FYI, Barbara Vine is actually Ruth Rendell (one of my favourite writers).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Fatima/Whitney/Stacy Ann TopModelFan1's Avatar

I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck.
    Tyra, please don't shave my head.

I just started "The Interpretation of Murder" by Jed Rubenfeld. I bought this book while waiting for my flight home at London's Heathrow airport as I thought the first paragraph sounded pretty good: "There is no mystery to happiness. Unhappy men are all alike. Some wound they suffered long ago, some wish denied, some blow to pride, some kindling spark of love put out by scorn- or worse, indifference - cleaves to them, or they to it, and so they live each day within a shroud of yesterdays...." The story is a historical thriller inspired by Sigmund Freud's only visit to America. I'm just a few pages in, but I like it so far.

Shortly after buying this book I noticed that Kate Atkinson's newest, "One Good Turn" was also there, but just as I reached for it, I heard the boarding call for my flight *gahhh*, so with a heavy heart I had to leave it and hurry over to my gate. I love Kate Atkinson and I'm particularly looking forward to reading this book since it features one of my favourite Atkinsonian characters: Jackson Pollard from "Case Histories". I loved Case Histories, I thought Kate Atkinson was such a master foreshadower, the way you just knew something horrible was about to happen, and how you wished you could somehow prevent it...Anyway, as soon as I got home I ordered it online and I'm really looking forward to reading it .

Oooh, there's a new Kate Atkinson out? I just read Case Histories a couple of weeks ago. I really like her stuff.

The new Thursday Next book from Jasper Fforde is out too. I haven't picked it up yet, though. And Harry Potter's out in a week. So many new books I've been looking forward to!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread