+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Does anyone read the Cat Who Series by Lillian Jackson Braun? They're pretty light reading, but enjoyable. It's always the same characters and the two Siamese, one who solves the mysteries. It's best if read in sequence for character building, but also stand alone. I originally read a couple in the middle of the series until I did my homework and then went back and started at the beginning
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile!

I've read most of the Cat Who series. Sometimes I like Moose County and Down Below for a change of pace, .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2459562;
    Thanks, I will. It might be tricky to get my hands on a copy - I just checked Amazon, Chapters and my library, with no luck. However, I'll have access to a McNally Robinson next week (the best bookstore ever, IMO) and I'll check there.
    AJane - there are lots of copies of Bethel Merriday for sale at AbeBooks
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear10;2459576;
    Does anyone read the Cat Who Series by Lillian Jackson Braun? They're pretty light reading, but enjoyable. It's always the same characters and the two Siamese, one who solves the mysteries. It's best if read in sequence for character building, but also stand alone. I originally read a couple in the middle of the series until I did my homework and then went back and started at the beginning
    Too funny--I'm reading one right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2459645;
    AJane - there are lots of copies of Bethel Merriday for sale at AbeBooks
    I've never seen that site before! Have you bought books from there, Crit?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2459870;
    I've never seen that site before! Have you bought books from there, Crit?
    Yep. I've bought from them and from Alibris. Both are networks of used bookstores. You order through one portal and the order is fulfilled by whichever store listed the book. In a few cases, I've received a book and it wasn't in quite as good a condition as the seller indicated. For the most part, the books are in the condition given in the listing. You just have to remember that many of the stores are small used booksellers and not amazon.com. Sometimes the shipping is a little slower, but the prices and selection make it worth the wait! I use it to find reading copies of books that are rare or out-of-print.

What's great about abebooks is that you can search for booksellers in your country. I checked and there are 10 copies of that book for sale by Canadian booksellers
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

AJane, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying The Pursuit of Happiness. Douglas Kennedy is one of those authors I'll buy in hardcover, on the publication date. His latest efforts have been a bit weak, but there's something about his ability to create caracters you care about that keeps me hooked even when the plot is lacking.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by owlie;2459866;
    Too funny--I'm reading one right now!
    I just love the antics and The Cat Who books are definitely light and entertaining...sometimes I need the break from anything heavier! I've read the entire series and now have to wait for the next one to get published. The last wasn't that great but overall I've enjoyed following the story line thru the years. And KoKo and YumYum are hilarious.
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile!

elk

Critical: I am reading the other recent Jeffrey Deaver novel - Sleeping Doll. The herione in this one is Kathryn Dance (remember her from the one with the clock guy?) and she is a really well-written character. I am enjoying this a great deal (while I wait in line for Shopaholic #2 at my library).

Geek: Not only am I next in line for the Grimm book, I just got "Blaze" from my library. WhooHoo, it's gonna be a great weekend (if I can find something to do with the kids, lol)!!!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I'm reading Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. Why, oh why am I reading a novel about an office while I'm on vacation? It's just depressing me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread