+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Well I finished Our Lady Of The Forest yesterday. I can't say I really enjoyed it. I thought David Gutterson's writing style was pretty flawless, I just felt that I could not get behind the majority of the characters. With the exception of the "Visionary", I just didn't like them very much. I will definitely read Snow Falling On Cedars, because like I said, I did think he's a talented writer.

So I started Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil last night and was immediately sucked into the world of Savannah, GA. This book is like no other piece of nonfiction I have ever encountered! What a talented man to be able to tell a true story as if it were a novel. I can already see I am going to enjoy this one.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield
    Its about Alexander the Great's invasion of the Afghan Kingdoms and his 3 year battle against insurgent tribesmen.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2457977;
    Nope, but I read one of Sophie Kinsella's stand-alone novels, Can You Keep a Secret?, from cover to cover yesterday. Found it for a song in a used book store and couldn't put it down. It's one of the funniest, most endearing chick lit novels I've come across in a long time. Can't wait to read the Shopaholic series.

Also, I just started Brother Grimm by Craig Russell, a murder mystery set in Hamburg dealing with a serial killer inspired by the Grimm fairytales. Has anyone read it? So far, I'm enjoying it. It's a dark, scary yarn of a novel, well written and gripping. I'm a sucker for crime novels with any kind of literary theme, be it Edgar Allan Poe (The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl - I know several FORTers have read it) or old fairytales.
    Geek, I am obviously in good company if you enjoyed Sophie Kinsella! I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

As soon as I read your post, I hastened to my library's website to put a hold on Brother Grimm. It sounds like it is right up my alley.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

FORT Newbie

That Brother Grimm book sounds really good!

I am a sucker for historical fiction, particularly about the Renaissance, and that kind of thing. I just finished two: The Last Wife of Henry VIII, which was not as good as I'd been hoping, and I, Mona Lisa, which was pretty good - especially becuase I don't know a lot about Italy and the Medicis so it was pretty fun. (It's by the same woman that wrote The Borgia Bride, which I actually liked more but still.)

I went to the library on the way home from work tonight. I got Hannibal Rising which I am afraid is going to suck, but I'm going to read it anyway, and The Dark is Rising because I'd never read it and people tell me it's good if you like Harry Potter or the His Dark Materials books.

Quote Originally Posted by seaside;2458984;
    The Dark is Rising because I'd never read it and people tell me it's good if you like Harry Potter or the His Dark Materials books.
    I've never heard of that, but I do love the Harry Potter books, so let me know how it is.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I finished Jeffrey Deaver's Cold Moon a few days ago and it definitely did not disappoint. Lots of twists and turns. Sometimes with thrillers, the author wraps up the mystery with maybe 100 pages to go and the rest of it feels like filler. That's completely not the case with this one. Every time you think you know what the truth is, Deaver turns it on its ear. Plus, of course, he leaves things open for another story to come!

I'm about 50 pages into Susan Vreeland's Luncheon of the Boating Party, which centers on Auguste Renoir in Paris when he's preparing to paint and then painting The Luncheon of the Boating Party. I'm a big fan of Vreeland, so I'm really enjoying it. I got to meet the author last month at a book signing/reading and, while I wasn't impressed with her as a reader, I still was excited to meet her and hear about her process. Not that she was horrible, but I prefer that, when an author is reading her work aloud, she not use voices. I'm not 6. My friend, who had never read any of her books, went with me and was really dubious about reading the book, but she ended up loving it.

ETA: Looks like I'm going to have to hit the used book store for some Sophie Kinsella books!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2458372;
    Geek, I am obviously in good company if you enjoyed Sophie Kinsella! I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

As soon as I read your post, I hastened to my library's website to put a hold on Brother Grimm. It sounds like it is right up my alley.

You sure know how to flatter a girl, elk. Like Critical, I will be hitting the used book stores in search of the Shopaholic series. I adore well-written, funny chick lit; unfortunately, you have you wade through a whole lot of crap in order to find it.

Oh, and let me know if you end up reading Brother Grimm. I'm enjoying it so far - I prefer crime novels with a darker tone, and this one definitely qualifies. Also, since the vast majority of crime novels I read are Anglosaxan, it's kind of refreshing to read about a German detective (although the writer is British).
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Douglas Kennedy's The Pursuit of Happiness. I found it slow going at first, but now that the narrative has switched to Sara, I'm really enjoying it. I love stories set in the 1930's/1940's, probably because when I was a teenager living at home, I plowed through my mom's collection of novels, which were all set in that era. Marjorie Morningstar still rates as my favourite-novel-of-all-time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2459247;
    Douglas Kennedy's The Pursuit of Happiness. I found it slow going at first, but now that the narrative has switched to Sara, I'm really enjoying it. I love stories set in the 1930's/1940's, probably because when I was a teenager living at home, I plowed through my mom's collection of novels, which were all set in that era. Marjorie Morningstar still rates as my favourite-novel-of-all-time.
    Have you read Bethel Merriday by Sinclair Lewis? If you loved Marjorie Morningstar, there's a good chance you'd enjoy it - they are sisters under the skin.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Thanks, I will. It might be tricky to get my hands on a copy - I just checked Amazon, Chapters and my library, with no luck. However, I'll have access to a McNally Robinson next week (the best bookstore ever, IMO) and I'll check there.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread