+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I just started reading Auriel Rising by Elizabeth Redfern. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it. It's about alchemy. I just don't know what I think about it since I can't keep the characters straight. The author has a very roundabout way of introducing new characters and distinguishing one from the other. I guess time will tell what I actually think of it.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I'm reading Candles Burning by Tabitha King and Michael McDowell. Michael McDowell left this unfinished manuscript behind upon his death in '99. I had just reread his Blackwater series of books last year and figured I'd enjoy this one, too. It's sort of a ghost story but I haven't gotten to the ghosts yet. I did however have a nightmare last night after reading before I fell asleep. Anyhoo, Tabitha King completed the book after being asked to do so by McDowell's editor. I'm almost half way through and am enjoying it so far.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude;2453073;
    I'm reading Candles Burning by Tabitha King and Michael McDowell. Michael McDowell left this unfinished manuscript behind upon his death in '99. I had just reread his Blackwater series of books last year and figured I'd enjoy this one, too. It's sort of a ghost story but I haven't gotten to the ghosts yet. I did however have a nightmare last night after reading before I fell asleep. Anyhoo, Tabitha King completed the book after being asked to do so by McDowell's editor. I'm almost half way through and am enjoying it so far.
    Kattatude, I also read Candles Burning and liked it a great deal. There was a general spookiness about it without the obvious ghosts and goblins appearing here and there. Glad you are enjoying it.

I have to update you all about "Getting Rid of Matthew" by Jane Fallon. Okay, this is not great literature, but a hilarious and thoroughly entertaining quick-read. The protaganist 'steals' her married boyfriend (also her boss) from his wife and family and then finds out he is this huge loser. She tries to get rid of him by creating a friendship with the exwife (undercover, naturally) to encourage her to take him back.

This is one of those books you don't want to end. The husband-stealer is hilarious and watching her careful plans explode in her face will keep you laughing.

Give this one a go, guys, you'll be pleasantly surprised!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Life in a Medieval City by Joseph and Frances Gies-- picked this one up for less than a buck in a thrift store, good buy! Specifically focuses on what life was like for the people of Troyes in France in the year 1250. Very easy to get into, and though I consider myself pretty well-read on the time period, came across details already that I wasn't aware of, like how incredibly intricate some of the recipes used by more well-to-do burghers were. A little dated (a few little things here and there that I think have been contridicted by more recent research), and I can't recall a mention of the contribution of the Medieval Optimum/Medieval Warm Period to the prosperity of the High Middle Ages, which 1250 fell towards the end of (plague and climatic cooling resulted in this mini-Renaissance being squelched in the next century), but overall definitely a great read so far!

I just finished reading Intensity by Dean Koontz (very good).

I'm now reading Besieged by Bertrice Small.

I had started Midnight in Sicily by Peter Robb, but I'm not really in the mood for it, right now. So, I returned to my old friend, Blood and Money by the late Tommy Thomson, as I started thinking about it once again from this thread.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mya26;2456106;
    I just finished reading Intensity by Dean Koontz (very good).
    That's one of my favorites!

elk

I just read the first Shopaholic book in under three hours. I laughed out loud at the heroine and can't wait to devour the rest in the series.

Has anyone else read this series?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I've been assigned 'The Count of Monte Cristo' for my summer reading assignment. I haven't started yet, but I've heard that it is a good read.

Can anyone give me a quick summary?
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2457569;
    I just read the first Shopaholic book in under three hours. I laughed out loud at the heroine and can't wait to devour the rest in the series.

Has anyone else read this series?
    Nope, but I read one of Sophie Kinsella's stand-alone novels, Can You Keep a Secret?, from cover to cover yesterday. Found it for a song in a used book store and couldn't put it down. It's one of the funniest, most endearing chick lit novels I've come across in a long time. Can't wait to read the Shopaholic series.

Also, I just started Brother Grimm by Craig Russell, a murder mystery set in Hamburg dealing with a serial killer inspired by the Grimm fairytales. Has anyone read it? So far, I'm enjoying it. It's a dark, scary yarn of a novel, well written and gripping. I'm a sucker for crime novels with any kind of literary theme, be it Edgar Allan Poe (The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl - I know several FORTers have read it) or old fairytales.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread