+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I splurged the other day and bought Jeffrey Deaver's The Cold Moon off the bestseller rack at the grocery store. It's over 600 pages, so I figure it's worth the cost per page (<-----pathetic rationalization). This is another Lincoln Rhyme book and I'm really enjoying it. I'll probably be checking the door locks and the windows an extra time or two tonight, but I just can't put it down!

Next up is probably John Berendt's City of Falling Angels. I've already read the first few pages and can't wait to really dive in.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2449886;
    I do read Ann Rule, and find her to be quite good. However, while she's most prolific, I can't say she's excellent in this particular field. Setting aside In Cold Blood, a one out of print, but now available again book, Blood and Money by Tommy Thompson is probably the single best entry in this genre that I've ever read.

Carlton Stowers is also quite good, and Jack Olson. About on the Ann Rule level.

If you are enjoying the Truman by David McCollough, I can only encourage you to read more by him. Truly an entertaining historian.
    I have read his other stuff and he is an entertaining historian. You usually don't hear the word entertaining before historian. But its no wonder he's won 2 pulitzers. His writing is interesting and he doesn't make the subject dry and humorless.

I will check out the other true crime authors. I was never a true crime aficiando until I got hooked on some of the true crime shows on A&E and other networks and read the Ann Rule book.

I picked up The Prestige the other day. I loved the movie and am now going to try the book.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

elk

Little Children and more

Just finished Little Children by Tom Perretta (sp?).

It is almost identical to the movie with the exception of several odd items (i.e. the Prom King has a different first name) and is, imo, just as good.

The characters were a little less sympathetic in the movie; I guess my interpretation was different than those making the film.

I really enjoyed this book and those of you who like a good character study will too.

As for true summer reading, I just started Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon. This book is labeled as "Brit-Lit"; I just think it is funny as hell. A truly different take on "the other woman" and another from me!

Critical, I am on the library list for the new Jeffery Deaver. I love the Lincoln Rhyme character and am really looking forward to it. How is it so far?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I'm reading The Kite Runner now because I want to read his new one A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I can't put it down - I've cried and laughed. His characters are wonderful and I love the story - it's so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2450743;
    Next up is probably John Berendt's City of Falling Angels. I've already read the first few pages and can't wait to really dive in.
    Please let us know what you thought of this one and how it stacks up to Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, if you have read it. Maybe I'll pick it up for my husband, who absolutely loved Midnight.... In fact, he has been trying to get me to read it for years. I actually think it will be my next read, because next month we are headed down to Hilton Head and plan to make a day trip of Savannah. It would make the excursion much more interesting if I have a better understanding of the ahem, local color.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Quote Originally Posted by JFlo;2451070;
    Please let us know what you thought of this one and how it stacks up to Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, if you have read it. Maybe I'll pick it up for my husband, who absolutely loved Midnight.... In fact, he has been trying to get me to read it for years. I actually think it will be my next read, because next month we are headed down to Hilton Head and plan to make a day trip of Savannah. It would make the excursion much more interesting if I have a better understanding of the ahem, local color.
    I LOVED Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, JFlo! I'll definitely be sure to give a review of this one when I'm done. Like I said, I read the first 10 pages or so at work the other day and was hooked. Oddly enough, my boss arrived for a visit to Venice the day after the opera house burned, which is how the book begins.

elk - so far, I'm loving The Cold Moon! It's classic a Rhyme/Sachs story - creepy murderer, smart investigators and some great twists and turns. I'm not quite 1/2 way through but I know the last 300+ pages are going to FLY.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by JFlo;2451070;
    LOVED Midnight and have read it twice. And seen the movie. I happened to be in Savannah a week before the movie premiered there and the entire city was caught up in the fever. That statue has been removed from the cemetary and I think put in a museum to protect it. The statue off the cover of the book.
    They also do a tour of all the places in midnight.

Great book, you'll enjoy it.

I finally finsihed Truman and started a Stuart Woods book. I don't know what has happened to him, but his books have become boring, predictible and really stupid and I'm really starting to hate how he writes about women.
    If anyone is a Stuart Woods fan though, I have a question about his Stone Barrington series. When did Dino get divorced? I always thought that character was better off married. I apparantly missed a book somewhere. Although after the first 2 chapters of this one, I may not be missing much! Not sure if I will finish this one.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-26-2007 at 06:13 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2451575;
    elk - so far, I'm loving The Cold Moon! It's classic a Rhyme/Sachs story - creepy murderer, smart investigators and some great twists and turns. I'm not quite 1/2 way through but I know the last 300+ pages are going to FLY.
    OOOoooo, Critical, I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I also enjoyed "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Currently reading Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos...........and loving it! I'm not a huge chick-lit fan but this is so literate and the writing is so tender and smart that I just can't seem to put it down. Have heard there is a movie in the works with Sarah Jessica Parker......hopefully it will be able to capture the aching I feel when I read it (but I doubt it!! )
    Last edited by vondl0; 06-26-2007 at 09:51 AM.

I just got "10 Conversations you need to have with your children" by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
    and
    "Muzzled: from t-ball to terrorism; true stories that should be fiction' by Michael Smerconish

My vacation reading!!

+ Reply to Thread