+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Really getting into Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade. VERY fascinating so far; interesting look at humanity's obscure origins, focusing on conclusions that can be drawn from DNA analysis. Some is bound to be controversial, and I'm not sure I agree with everything so far myself, but definitely worth picking up from what I've read so far, if you are interested in the subject.

Reading: Jake Fades, A Novel of Impermanence by David Guy. It's an interesting book about a Buddist Monk who is developing dementia and his students. I'm really enjoying it.

Just got done with Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross. It's about a recent widow who has to deal with finding out her husband cheated on her long term and that he had a son. It's pretty good, a fast read and it's the first in a series so I plan on reading the rest.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp;2449366;
    Reading: Jake Fades, A Novel of Impermanence by David Guy. It's an interesting book about a Buddist Monk who is developing dementia and his students. I'm really enjoying it.

Just got done with Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross. It's about a recent widow who has to deal with finding out her husband cheated on her long term and that he had a son. It's pretty good, a fast read and it's the first in a series so I plan on reading the rest.
    You know, I just read one of these books. I had no idea it was a series. Off to request more at the library.

Miss Thing, do you read Ann Rule? What do you think of her books? I have only read the one about the murder of the woman in Florida with the quadtuplets. I was living there at the time it happened and it was all over our news for months, years even and the book was surprisingly good. I'd like to read her Ted Bundy book, but have never gotten around to it.

I am currently in an indepth study of Harry S. Truman. I have the McCullough book that I am finally almost finished reading and now have a book of his private papers. I am finding him to be a fascinating man and president and thinking that when I do get started back in school for my history degree that he would be a good subject to do a paper on.

I just got the Prestige, Whitethorne Woods, Invisable Prey and the latest Stuart Woods book from the library. I may give Truman a break and delve into lighter reading (both literally and figuratively as the Truman book is so huge that its almost impossible to read it in bed as I am apparantly not strong enough to hold it up.

Right now I am driving hubby crazy with my constant info about Truman and his administration and he's driving me crazy with his info from a Dave Ramsey book he's reading. Seems we are holding history and economics classes nightly around here.

Anyone read Dorothea Benton Franks? Love her books.

I also like Diane Mott Davidson, but frankly her books just make me hungry. She is a caterer that solves mysteries and her books also include recipes. Not a good book for late night reading as you tend to want to go raid the refrigerator after a couple chapters.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-23-2007 at 11:38 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just finished reading Two Old Women by Velma Wallis. It is incredible and I recommend it to everyone. From Harper Collins:

"Based on an Athabascan Indian legend passed along for many generations from mothers to daughters of the upper Yukon River area in Alaska, this suspenseful, shocking, and ultimately inspirational tale of survival follows two old women who are abandoned by their tribe during a brutal winter famine. Though these two women have been known to complain more than contribute, they now must either survive on their own or die trying. In simple but vivid detail, Velma Wallis depicts a landscape and way of life that are at once merciless and starkly beautiful. In her old women, she has created two heroines of steely determination whose story of betrayal, friendship, community, and forgiveness will carve out a permanent place in readers' imaginations."

Reading Guide on Two Old Women from HarperCollins Publishers

Finally got my turn with Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box, and it's one of the best things I've read this year. I think I'll have it finished by tomorrow night - it's that hard to put down.

In fact, I think I may even prefer his writing to his father's.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2449426;
    Miss Thing, do you read Ann Rule? What do you think of her books? I have only read the one about the murder of the woman in Florida with the quadtuplets. I was living there at the time it happened and it was all over our news for months, years even and the book was surprisingly good. I'd like to read her Ted Bundy book, but have never gotten around to it.

I am currently in an indepth study of Harry S. Truman. I have the McCullough book that I am finally almost finished reading and now have a book of his private papers. I am finding him to be a fascinating man and president and thinking that when I do get started back in school for my history degree that he would be a good subject to do a paper on.

I do read Ann Rule, and find her to be quite good. However, while she's most prolific, I can't say she's excellent in this particular field. Setting aside In Cold Blood, a one out of print, but now available again book, Blood and Money by Tommy Thompson is probably the single best entry in this genre that I've ever read.

Carlton Stowers is also quite good, and Jack Olson. About on the Ann Rule level.

If you are enjoying the Truman by David McCollough, I can only encourage you to read more by him. Truly an entertaining historian.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Jack Olson was the best in the true-crime genre. It's so unfortunate that he's no longer with us. MRD, there's a true-crime thread here - True Crime - with lots of great recommendations, if you like that genre.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2449867;
    Finally got my turn with Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box, and it's one of the best things I've read this year. I think I'll have it finished by tomorrow night - it's that hard to put down.
    Glad to hear it, and I'm with you all the way... up until this point, that is:

In fact, I think I may even prefer his writing to his father's.
    No need to say things we might regret later, AJane.

Seriously, though, I've tried very hard not to compare Joe Hill with his father, because a) those are some pretty big shoes to fill, and b) apart from the fact that they've obviously both writers of supernatural fiction, their writing is nothing alike in my opinion. Like you, I think Heart-Shaped Box is one of the best horror novels I've read in a long time, and I can't wait for Joe Hill to write a new one. In the meantime, may I recommend his collection of horror stories, 20th Century Ghosts? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get hold of it just yet, but seeing how it received the British Fantasy Award, The International Horror Guild Award, AND the Bram Stoker Award for best collection, I'd say we're in good hands. Papa King should be very, very proud.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Nixon and Kissinger: Partners in Power by Robert Dallek, about the personal relationship between Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger

A Coin for the Ferryman by Rosemary Rowe, a murder mystery in Roman occupied 2nd Century Britain.

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2450137;
    No need to say things we might regret later, AJane.
    I thought that might raise your eyebrows a bit.

I finished the book last night (or this morning, rather). It's the first time in a very long time I've actually felt scared while reading.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I kept seeing those "scribbled" eyes on the ghosts.
    It's also the first time in a very, VERY long time that I've been compelled to finish a book in less than 24 hours because I couldn't put it down. My library doesn't have his short-story collection, unfortunately, so I'll have to go buy it - but I don't think I'll be sorry for laying down some cash for his work.

William, Lady Oracle is my absolute favourite Atwood. I think it's her best comic work.

+ Reply to Thread