+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

The Koontz book is "The Good Guy" (it just hit shelves last week).

So far, the story's kind of flimsy, it's a quick read, but it's not awful like some other books I've read lately.

I might re-read The Kite Runner before reading 1000SS. To get me back in that frame of mind.

I just started Clive Cussler's "The Navigator".

I am currently reading The Neverending Story. I got it for only 99 cents at the GoodWill, and it looks brand new! And of course, I cried in the same place in the book as I did the movie. Poor Atrax...
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2436773;
    I finally finished Paint It Black, and Geek, I can't give that good of a critique because I've never read White Oleander.

I'm glad I finished it though, because I was getting very impatient with the first few chapters. I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but I found that Fitch's portrayal of Josie (the heroine) & Michael's relationship was weak and awfully superficial. In fact, "superficial" was the word that kept running through my mind until about 1/2 way through the book. Once the focus shifted to the Josie/Meredith relationship, it got much better.

If anyone else has read this book, I'd love to discuss it.
    AJane

I finished Paint It Black a few days ago and can't seem to make up my mind as to whether I liked it or not. Like you, I found the Josie/Michael relationship superficial and unexplored. Considering that it's one of the, if not THE, main themes of the novels, I can't help but wonder if that doesn't make the entire novel a bit of a failure. Still, I loved Janet Fitch's descriptions of L.A. (she does it so well, even better in White Oleander - which you really ought to read) and the dynamics between Josie and Meredith really improved things. One thing bothered the heck out of me throughout the 500+ pages, though, or two things to be precise: "voddy" and "Smirny". What's up with that? I know there are people out there who are cosy enough with their beverage of choice to come up with nicknames, but it just seemed weird and out of place. Aside from that, I really liked Fitch's use of language.

Here's another book I read this week that I definitely loved: On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. To me, McEwan is one of the most accomplished British authors of today, and his latest effort is right up there with some of his most stellar work. It is a brief but intense story about two newlyweds during their angst-ridden wedding night at a seaside resort in the 1960's, and I literally couldn't put it down. I adored the melancholy, and was immediately hooked by the characters and their back stories. If you're looking for a swift but haunting read and be reminded of just how beautiful the English language can be in the hands of the right author, look no further. Ian McEwan is your man. Any other McEwan fans out there by the way? I saw the trailer for Atonement today and was suddenly acutely aware that I still haven't read it. Seeing how much I liked On Chesil Beach, I'll definitely pick it up now.

Oh, and remote_goddess, I totally see where you're coming from with She's Come Undone. Dolores annoyed the crap out of me half the time, but I was nevertheless intrigued by her story. I finished the entire thing in less than 24 hours, so I have to say I enjoyed it. I still prefer I Know This Much Is True, though.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    One thing bothered the heck out of me throughout the 500+ pages, though, or two things to be precise: "voddy" and "Smirny".
    The "voddy" thing was precisely what made me want to quit after the first few chapters. It seemed so fake and pretentious...and maybe Fitch intended it, but it sounded forced. I was also getting aggravated with things like the endless talk about Josie's hair...she bleaches it, she spikes it, she lets the roots grow in...yes, yes, she's punk, we get it, already. She would have been better off developing Josie's character more instead of the endless physical descriptions.

I will put White Oleander on my to-read list, though.

I've started Douglas Kennedy's The Big Picture - I'm new to his work and only a few pages in but I can tell I'm going to like this one much better. I had begun Joy Fielding's The Deep End, but I lost patience about 4 chapters in and just read the ending.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2443588;
    The "voddy" thing was precisely what made me want to quit after the first few chapters. It seemed so fake and pretentious...and maybe Fitch intended it, but it sounded forced. I was also getting aggravated with things like the endless talk about Josie's hair...she bleaches it, she spikes it, she lets the roots grow in...yes, yes, she's punk, we get it, already. She would have been better off developing Josie's character more instead of the endless physical descriptions.
    Glad to see it wasn't just me who was peeved by the "voddy" thing. And yep, the constant mentioning of her hair was another issue for me. We get it, she's punk. Enough already. Being semi-alternative myself, I couldn't help but wonder if Janet Fitch was new to the entire concept and therefore felt the need to overdo it.

I've started Douglas Kennedy's The Big Picture - I'm new to his work and only a few pages in but I can tell I'm going to like this one much better. I had begun Joy Fielding's The Deep End, but I lost patience about 4 chapters in and just read the ending.
    Happy to hear it! As you're probably already well aware of, I'm a big fan of Douglas Kennedy. The Big Picture is, in my humble opinion, one of the best suspense novels to have emerged in the last ten years. Not that I want to get your hopes up or anything. If your first impression lasts, make sure to check out his other novels. I have an inkling that you'll enjoy them, particularly The Pursuit of Happiness and A Special Relationship. His brand-new effort, The Woman in the Fifth had a pretty ridiculous ending, but other than that, I enjoyed it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I am currently re-reading The Stand.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

I just finished reading the first three Shopaholic books (love em) and also Twilight, which I loved. There are few books I have read that even come close to the caliber of storytelling that Twilight achieved.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

I'm reading Lying With Strangers by James Grippando. It's pretty good. I started it yesterday and am almost finished with it.

I've also rediscovered John Saul. I used to read his books when I was younger, along with Dean Koontz. I don't know why I stopped, but I picked one up at the library the other day and devoured it in a day and a half. So I grabbed a couple more. I figure that should keep me busy for a few weeks. Plus, The new Janet Evanovich is out. My friend is on vacation and called to see if I bought it yet. I guess she's getting it for my birthday.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by GossipGirlANTM;2444683;
    I just finished reading the first three Shopaholic books (love em) and also Twilight, which I loved. There are few books I have read that even come close to the caliber of storytelling that Twilight achieved.
    THe Shopaholic books are HILARIOUS!!!! LOVED them all.

I'm really reading a summer beach book. NOT!

I'm reading the MAMMOTH biography (the books longer than his entire presidency!) of President Harry Truman by McCullough. It's actually more interesting than I thought it would be. In fact its very interesting and some very interesting parallels to his presidency and what's on the ticket for the 08 election. He tried to get a universal health care plan for all Americans passed in 1947.

Since I am a history geek, its interesting to me. And McCullough makes it interesting. He has the ability to write about History and make it interesting and not dry like a LOT of others have done.

Assault on Reason by Gore is next on my list and then, then I get to read some fun fiction.
    Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy and The Prestige (loved the movie now want to read the book).

Since I have to have surgery soon and will spend the next 6 weeks not doing much, I would love to get some more book suggestions. I read anything except sci-fi.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread