+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Finally got around to Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. It's not bad, but I much prefer the humourous essays of David Rakoff, which do actually make me laugh out loud in public places.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2433175;
    Speaking of series, the next Thursday Next Book comes out in July and is called First Among Sequels. With that, the new Harry Potter and Eclipse, I'm definitely looking forward to some fun reading this summer.
    Oooh...I can't wait. I LOVE Thursday Next. I love all Jasper Fforde books, actually. The Big Over-Easy made me laugh out loud so many times. It is possibly the funniest book I've ever read. Such a good summer read if you're looking for one to add to your list (I know that's another thead but...)

Ok. I finished The Thirteenth Tale. I really enjoyed it! It's different than most books I read, but I was pleasantly surprised.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2435515;
    Ok. I finished The Thirteenth Tale. I really enjoyed it! It's different than most books I read, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Glad you enjoyed it Katgib. It had a real old fashioned kind of feel to it, don't you think?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I've picked up Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns", and expect to start reading it right after the Koontz book.

How do those who've read it here think it compares to The Kite Runner?

I finally finished Paint It Black, and Geek, I can't give that good of a critique because I've never read White Oleander.

I'm glad I finished it though, because I was getting very impatient with the first few chapters. I don't know if it was deliberate or not, but I found that Fitch's portrayal of Josie (the heroine) & Michael's relationship was weak and awfully superficial. In fact, "superficial" was the word that kept running through my mind until about 1/2 way through the book. Once the focus shifted to the Josie/Meredith relationship, it got much better.

If anyone else has read this book, I'd love to discuss it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John;2436334;
    I've picked up Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns", and expect to start reading it right after the Koontz book.

I'm on the library waiting list, so I expect to get it sometime in September

My mom recommended the Kite Runner, so I am about to start it - I figure I'd read that first and by the time I'm finished, I can read his new one. She LOVED Kite Runner, so I'm excited to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2436094;
    Glad you enjoyed it Katgib. It had a real old fashioned kind of feel to it, don't you think?
    Yeah, it did. It fit, though. I thought it started off a little slow, but once Ms. Winters started telling the story...I was hooked. I actually got a little aggravated when it veered back to the present... I wanted to know what happened to the twins!

SPECIMEN DAYS by Michael Cunningham. It is divided into three stories. The first takes place during the Industrial Revolution, the second in present day post 9/11 America and the third 150 years into the future. All three stories take place in NYC and he uses the themes in the poetry of Walt Whitman to tie them together, kind of like Virginia Woolf in THE HOURS.

I enjoyed the first story, as depressing as it was. I had a tough time understanding a lot of the Whitman quotations, which I think are from LEAVES OF GRASS. I consider myself fairly literate too. I love to read Shakepeare and do not shy away from classics, but I have a tough time with poetry. I get the gist of it, by I feel I would enjoy this book a lot more if I understood the poetry better. I just started the second story, which I really like. Cunningham is really good at writing period pieces, but his present day settings are even better. He is just sooooo dead on in his depiction of contemporary life. Can't wait to see how he paints the future.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

elk

Quote Originally Posted by John;2436334;

Which Koontz book are you reading, John, and do you recommend it? Do you know if the last "Frankenstein" novel has been published yet?

I truly enjoy most of his work, but just can't get into the Odd Thomas series.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread