+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

The Hills:City of Angels

remote_goddess, my sister is reading The Divide right now. I read the first couple of pages when she visited and felt compelled to finish it, so she'll send it my way once she's done. I could use a swift, uncomplicated read for my upcoming Spanish vacation.

AJane, Paint It Black was in the huge pile of paperbacks I picked up at the book store last weekend. I'm saving it for abovementioned Spanish vacation. Is it up to par with White Oleander, do you think? I loved that book and have severe doubts about Paint It Black living up to the hype. We'll see, though, won't we?

I'm about a third into The Good Life by Jay McInerney. So far, so good. Plenty of witty laugh-out-loud moments, good writing, and interesting characters. Thematically, it's reminiscent of The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud. We'll see how it will compare.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2430355;
    Is it up to par with White Oleander, do you think? I loved that book and have severe doubts about Paint It Black living up to the hype.
    Oh, I devoured White Oleander! I got it at an estate sale where they were selling dozens of hardbacks for about a buck each, and I figure a person can never go wrong buying books as cheap as that. Ended up loving almost every one I purchased, especially this one. AJane and Geek, please post your thoughts once you finish Paint It Black. I can always add it to the stack of must-reads that is steadily growing on my bedside table...

elk

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2429355;
    I started reading The Thirteenth Tale last night. Everyone here was talking about it, and they had a copy available at the library, so I grabbed it. So far, I like it.
    I read this last month and truly enjoyed it! Have fun!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Well, the semester ended on 5/25 and I've been reading almost non-stop since then! So far, I've plowed through:
    Sarah Vowell - Assassination Vacation
    Stephen King - Cell
    Debra Dean - The Madonnas of Leningrad Best book I've read in a while - all about art and history and memory. It goes back and forth between the siege of Leningrad, when the main character worked at the Hermitage, and present day in the Pacific Northwest where she is succumbing to Alzheimer's. Not at all depressing or maudlin or emotionally manipulative. Just beautiful and thoughtful and real. I highly, highly recommend this one.
    Stephenie Meyer - New Moon - Really whet my appetite for the next installment, which I hope will have lots more Edward in it!

I'm currently about 50 pages from the end of Faye Kellerman's Straight Into Darkness. It's not part of the Decker/Lazarus series. This one is set in Munich between the two world wars and focuses on a police detective trying to catch a serial murder while dealing with the political changes that were coming (Hitler is even a character in the book). So far, I'm enjoying it. Faye's writing style is so familiar, even if these characters are new.

I have SO many books in the "on deck circle" but I think my next one will be Susan Vreeland's The Luncheon of the Boating Party. I went to a book reading with the author this past weekend and that got me excited to read it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2431510;
    Stephenie Meyer - New Moon - Really whet my appetite for the next installment, which I hope will have lots more Edward in it!
    After being on a waiting list for TEN MONTHS, I finally got Stephenie's Twilight and am listening to it now. I am *so* loving it.

You know when a book is so good that you just don't want it to end? That's how I'm feeling about Twilight. I didn't realize she'd made two sequels so I'm thrilled about that. Unfortunately, the Braile & Talking Book Library doesn't have either. I checked our local library and they don't have an audio version available so it looks like I'll be waiting for my next Edward fix.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;2432499;
    After being on a waiting list for TEN MONTHS, I finally got Stephenie's Twilight and am listening to it now. I am *so* loving it.

You know when a book is so good that you just don't want it to end? That's how I'm feeling about Twilight. I didn't realize she'd made two sequels so I'm thrilled about that. Unfortunately, the Braile & Talking Book Library doesn't have either.
    Third one (Eclipse) is not out until August 7th (yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting).

Speaking of series, the next Thursday Next Book comes out in July and is called First Among Sequels. With that, the new Harry Potter and Eclipse, I'm definitely looking forward to some fun reading this summer.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan

The Audacity of Hope ~ Barack Obama

Amazing book. I am reading it out loud with Mr. Cheddar, as we wanted to be able to discuss it while reading and we only have one copy. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Just started James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans. Although I have read some criticisms and know it is not like the movie (which is one of my favorites), I have still been interested in reading it for awhile, and finally picked up a copy.

Every year since I moved to Sweden I've been promising myself I will participate in a running competition which is held every year in early summer in the city where I live. Well, this year I ran out of excuses so I've been spending the past few weeks trying to make my poor, stiff, untrained body get the endurance to at least be able to jog my way through the running course. All I can say is I won't be breaking any speed records, but I think I'll be able to finish .

What with my hard training schedule (ahem) I haven't been able to read so much lately, but I did manage to finish yesterday Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte. Having 6 lovebirds fluttering around my head at the moment, I could totally understand the hard work, the chaos, the noise and ultimately the love that comes with having a pet. I thought it was a funny book with a lot of heart and I really recommend it . A side effect is a sudden longing to add a pair of cute, quack-quacking ducks and maybe one or two geese to my flock, but living in an apartment, that is just not going to happen (my husband breathes a sigh of relief).

+ Reply to Thread