+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2423716;
    Hey geek!

I just finished Burning Bright a few days ago. Although I don't think it was up there with Girl with a Pearl Earring or The Virgin Blue, I did enjoy it. This one had much more to do with politics - it is set in 1792 and deals a lot with the political changes in France - and William Blake is just a part of the story rather than the focus of the story. Still, it's Chevalier which means that it's well written and a good read. All in all -

I finally started Stephenie Meyer's New Moon, which I can hardly put down. I still have coursework to finish this summer, but the semester ended on Friday, so I'm fairly free to focus on work and recreational reading
    Thanks for the review, Critical. I picked up Burning Bright over the weekend and will start reading it as soon as I finish another historical novel by a British author*, The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark. It is a well-written, touching, and often disturbing account of a young girl in 18th century England. I'm loving it so far, but then again, I'm quite partial to anything set in 19th or 18th century England. Especially if it's even vaguely reminiscent of Dickens.

Here's the blurb from Amazon, since I'm too tired and wired on caffeine (should be an oxymoron, but not if you're in the final stage of coffee addiction) to even try to describe the plot outline:

"British author Clark's second novel, a moving historical set in early 18th-century London, surpasses her acclaimed debut, The Great Stink (2005). When teenager Eliza Tally gets pregnant, her mother sells her into servitude to an apothecary, Grayson Black. Eliza struggles to survive in a bizarre household, unaware that her new master is interested in the effects of various emotions on her unborn child. Isolated save for a kindly, slow-witted fellow servant, Mary, Eliza develops an unlikely relationship with a French bookseller, Mr. Honfleur, who supplies Black with the scientific treatises he uses to inform his sadistic researches. Eliza hopes Honfleur will provide her with the means for escape. Unlike The Great Stink, this suspenseful tale contains no whodunit element, but as in her previous book, Clark's empathetic portrait of the powerless and the victimized will remind many readers of Dickens."

Yay, Dickens! Now I really want to read The Great Stink as well.

Oh, and Critical, I was completely and utterely enamoured with New Moon. Can't wait for the third Bella/Edward instalment.

* Wait a minute. Is Tracy Chevalier British? Or is she American? I really can't recall right now. Ah, the days when six cups of coffee used to invigorate me.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-30-2007 at 09:56 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2424436;
    Yay, Dickens! Now I really want to read The Great Stink as well.
    That one is in a pile next to my bed! I think I even read a few pages and got side-tracked by another book. We'll have to both read it and give each other reviews
    * Wait a minute. Is Tracy Chevalier British? Or is she American? I really can't recall right now. Ah, the days when six cups of coffee used to invigorate me.
    According to her website, she was born in America but lives in Britain and holds dual citizenship. I guess that means she's a little of both!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have an advance copy of The Great Stink (I know, it's not advance anymore. lol) but couldn't get into it. I need something new to read, though, so maybe I'll try it again.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just finished The 6th Target by James Patterson from his Women's Murder Club series. Pretty good reading, but not as good as the other books. Too much attention is spent on trials vs. the thrill of the hunt finding the killers. We also did not get to delve into too many different points off view this time around, which was disappointing.

Just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Sad, poignant, sweet.
    Count your blessings!

elk

Mallory novels by Carol O'Connell

I am just finishing up the latest Mallory novel (this is the first one I read; didn't realize it was a series) and it is very good. It is called "Find Me" and it is about a serial killer of little girls who buries them on the old Route 66. Kathy Mallory is a seriously disturbed young cop who is the centre of this book.

This is quite creepy and very intriguing. Has anyone else read any of these books?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2427786;
    Just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Sad, poignant, sweet.
    Sorry for the double post.

I read this last month and found it utterly compelling. The daughter was absolutely delightful and you could feel the pain and frustration of all the characters.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I started reading The Thirteenth Tale last night. Everyone here was talking about it, and they had a copy available at the library, so I grabbed it. So far, I like it.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Reading The Divide by Nicholas Evans right now. Just borrowed it from my boss today, and started reading over my lunch break... so I'm not very far into it, but it certainly has my attention and I'm looking forward to finishing this one pretty quickly. This is the same author that wrote The Horse Whisperer and The Smoke Jumper, both of which I enjoyed quite a bit. Anyone read it? It's not a new release (2005), I'm just that far behind in my reading!

Paint It Black by Janet Fitch. I didn't think it would hold my interest, but I'm really enjoying it so far.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread