+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading Jane Smiley's Good Faith. A bit slow-going - I loved A Thousand Acres, but didn't like Moo, so I was 50% optimistic for this one.

I just finished Alice Hoffman's Local Girls, and really enjoyed it. Geek, I also read Here On Earth, and had the weirdest sense of deja vu...I'm not sure if was the Wuthering Heights theme or if I'd actually read it before. I should search this thread and find out for sure.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

At this point, I think I will have to buy Thirteenth Tale. Everyone is reading it, and I don't want to miss out on a good read! I just finished Blue Like Jazz. I enjoyed it very much. Donald Miller's stories are funny and interesting. I had some issues with the way he chose to lead me through each idea from the beginning to the end. That's just me, though. I should be finishing An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography by Paul Rusesabagina, with Tom Zoellner, very soon. It is such a great read. It has just the right amount of background and history to make it a worthwhile book to anyone who is interested in the civil wars of Rwanda and Burundi.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I found this great website that sells old or out of print books for very inexpensive prices (e.g. $1.00) and I bought numerous favorite books of mine from the past ten years in hardback.

I've just finished two of my all time favorites: "Word" and "Millennium Girl" by Coerte V.W. Felske
    "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages."

Cage of Stars by Jacqueline Mitchard. So far, I'm loving it. The writing is crisp and beautiful, the main characters likable, and the story - the aftermath of the brutal slaying of two little girls in a tightly knit Mormon community, and more specifically how the older sister of the two girls copes - an intriguing one. It reminds me a bit of The Lovely Bones.

I recently read - no, on second thought, I think devoured is the appropriate word here - the latest Douglas Kennedy, Woman in the Fifth. I LOVED the first hundred pages or so. All the descriptions of Parisian life made me wish I'd gone to Sorbonne instead of London after high school, and as always, Kennedy sure knows how to build (knit?) a yarn. The twist threw me off a bit, though, and felt more than Douglas Kennedy. Now, don't get me wrong: I love me some M Night Shyamalan, and as most of you know, I love ghosts and ghouls, big time. Believe me, I came pretty close to naming myself Geek the Goth. If The Woman in the Fifth had been written by another author, one who's more well-traveled in the supernatural, I probably would have bought the whole twist. From Kennedy, though, it just felt forced and out of place. Still, I couldn't stop reading. How does he do it?

Anyone planning on reading The Woman in the Fifth? Pretty please with sugar on top? I'd love to discuss the ending.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just finished reading Lara by Bertrice Small. I enjoyed it very much.

I just started Bedazzled by Bertrice Small. It's very good so far!

Skydog by Randy Poe
    A biography of Duane Allman

Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro
    I have never read anything by Alice Munro, but I wanted to read the story "The Bear Came Over the Mountain"
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar

I just finished read The Demonologist, the Extraordiary Career of Ed and Lorraine Warren by Gerald Daniel Brittle

This book truly frightened me. I could only read during the day. I did read it during the night once, but my hubby was home.

I think I'm going to read The Black Hope Terror or reread The Concubine's Tattoo by Laura Joh Rowland.... I love her books.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

I'm still slogging through Good Faith, but I also started Thomas Harris' Black Sunday. The subject matter (a terrorist group from the Middle East partnering up with a disaffected U.S. Vietnam vet) is normally not my cup of tea, but since I'd read all of Harris' Hannibal books I thought I'd give this one a shot. It's actually not bad...I think I'll be finishing it before the Smiley book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2391379;
    Critical

Oooh, a new Tracy Chavalier! I didn't know she had a new novel out - thanks for posting about it! In addition to being a big fan of Ms Chevelier, I also love William Blake and anything 18th century London, so I don't see how I could go wrong with Burning Bright. Give us a progress report, will you?
    Hey geek!

I just finished Burning Bright a few days ago. Although I don't think it was up there with Girl with a Pearl Earring or The Virgin Blue, I did enjoy it. This one had much more to do with politics - it is set in 1792 and deals a lot with the political changes in France - and William Blake is just a part of the story rather than the focus of the story. Still, it's Chevalier which means that it's well written and a good read. All in all -

I finally started Stephenie Meyer's New Moon, which I can hardly put down. I still have coursework to finish this summer, but the semester ended on Friday, so I'm fairly free to focus on work and recreational reading
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander;2409314;
    Atonement
    And so far, I want to strangle everyone except the Mother.
    I loved this book! If you like Mr. McEwan's style try Saturday and Enduring Love. Both are very good although Atonement was my favorite.

+ Reply to Thread