+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

After having it, still in its Amazon plastic wrap, on my bookshelf for the last 2 months, I'm finally getting around to reading John Sandford's "Dead Watch". This is his second stand-alone novel, not one of the Prey or Kidd & LuEllen series, and it's not too bad. I still prefer a good Davenport story, or a Kidd story.

I just started Tracy Chevalier's Burning Bright last night. She's written several of my favorites: Girl With Pearl Earring, The Lady and the Unicorn and The Virgin Blue. I thought this was an older novel that I'd just never heard of - I got it at a used bookstore in Berkeley - but it's actually an uncorrected proof of a new book that was just released. It takes place in London in the late 18th century and the title comes from the William Blake poem: "Tyger, tyger, burning bright/ In the forests of the night. . . . " which I LOVED in high school. Not sure how much Blake actually plays into the plot, but I always love her books, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't think I could read an uncorrected proof. I get SO mad when I find a typo in a book I'm reading. It completely takes me out of it. To the point where I e-mailed the publishers of a Richard Laymon book for containing at least 20 typos.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2390356;
    I don't think I could read an uncorrected proof. I get SO mad when I find a typo in a book I'm reading. It completely takes me out of it. To the point where I e-mailed the publishers of a Richard Laymon book for containing at least 20 typos.
    John, I'm forever finding errors in books that aren't uncorrected proofs! When I read the Paul Scott series that includes The Jewel in the Crown, I started putting flags on the pages with errors. The books were very colorful when I was done! They've since released a new edition, which I hope is error-free.

I got quite a few advance reader copies/uncorrected proofs at a booksellers' convention last fall and haven't really found any problems. Often, it's a case of the graphics not being in - like at the heads of chapters or sections. They're generally used to stir up interest with buyers of various stores, so they can't be too bad or no one would buy them. Plus, if they're free or cheap, I'm going to overlook the typos!
    Last edited by Critical; 05-15-2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling counts!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2390157;
    I just started Tracy Chevalier's Burning Bright last night. She's written several of my favorites: Girl With Pearl Earring, The Lady and the Unicorn and The Virgin Blue. I thought this was an older novel that I'd just never heard of - I got it at a used bookstore in Berkeley - but it's actually an uncorrected proof of a new book that was just released. It takes place in London in the late 18th century and the title comes from the William Blake poem: "Tyger, tyger, burning bright/ In the forests of the night. . . . " which I LOVED in high school. Not sure how much Blake actually plays into the plot, but I always love her books, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
    Critical

Oooh, a new Tracy Chavalier! I didn't know she had a new novel out - thanks for posting about it! In addition to being a big fan of Ms Chevelier, I also love William Blake and anything 18th century London, so I don't see how I could go wrong with Burning Bright. Give us a progress report, will you?

owlie, I feel exactly the same way about Special Topics in Calamity Physics. Challenging but exhausting. The culture slut in me adored the constant pop cultural references, of course, but I must admit it became a bit overwhelming after a while. Still, what an ambitious and cool project, and so brilliantly executed! Marissha Pessl isn't even in her 30s yet - Donna Tartt for the new millennium, anyone?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

My wish was granted, when I was at the store today and saw John Sandford's latest book on the shelf. "Invisible Prey" - it's supposed to be pretty good, and you can't go wrong with Lucas Davenport. I can't wait to start reading it.

I just got done reading Maxed Out by James Scurlock.
    Very fast and interesting read about credit cards and predatory lending.

Given my past history with credit cards and the finances both before and after divorce, it was a very scary book. Some of the chapters just made my mouth drop with the banking and credit card industry attitude toward customers.

I was discussing this book at work and one of the other social workers noted that a client of hers, who has been in a nursing home for two years, hasn't worked for at least 5 years has no income and had a guardian, wrote a letter on plain paper to a credit card company asking for a credit card.

He got one. Hopefully it was collected before someone got the number and used it to run up his bill.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Atonement
    And so far, I want to strangle everyone except the Mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2247836;
    Amanda, I didn't really enjoy The Gunslinger either, but I did get through it, and then the story begins picking up in the second book. So I'd say get through that and give the second book a try before you give up on the series.
    I've been plugging through these books, and I agree, it definitely picks up. I'm on the last one now, and I'm ready to find out how it finally ends.

I have one complaint, though.

Click to see Spoiler:
    In the sixth one, why did Stephen King write himself into the book? It's so weird. It just seems wrong and confusing and stupid and meta and I DON'T LIKE IT. I really liked that aspect in the movie "Adaptation", but this is just annoying. I don't want to think about the author, I want it to be a fantasy world. It's very odd.

Currently reading Mysteries of the Middle Ages: The Rise of Feminism, Science, and Art from the Cults of Catholic Europe by Thomas Cahill. Not too far in, but pretty interesting-- already come across some stuff he brings up that I was not aware of. Author certainly doesn't hesitate to express his opinions on modern issues either it seems, though this certainly isn't a bad thing.

Recently finished Out of Thin Air: Dinosaurs, Birds, And Earth's Ancient Atmosphere by Peter Ward and Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir... would recommend both highly.

+ Reply to Thread