+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2378655;
    The Big Picture, the odd one out, actually reminds me a bit of Harlan Coben's stand-alone thrillers.
    Funny you should mention that, Ms. Geek, but I've just finished reading (read: devouring) Harlan Coben's latest paperback, Promise Me. Myron Bolitar has not aged well into a middle-aged playboy, but the writing was crisp and the mystery compelling--if a bit predictable since I began to suspect the resolution to the mystery about halfway through.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Geek, Anita Shreve is one of my favorites too! I believe I have read her entire body of work except for Body Surfing. My faves are The Last Time They Met and Fortunes Rocks.

I have read 3 or 4 by Jodi Picoult (including the one's you mentioned) - most recently The Pact - and plan on reading the rest!

Both of their new books are in my 'to be read' pile along with The Namesake, Love Walked In, and The United States of Arugula!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32;2378701;
    Funny you should mention that, Ms. Geek, but I've just finished reading (read: devouring) Harlan Coben's latest paperback, Promise Me. Myron Bolitar has not aged well into a middle-aged playboy, but the writing was crisp and the mystery compelling--if a bit predictable since I began to suspect the resolution to the mystery about halfway through.

Is that... no, it couldn't be... *wishing there was a smiley for rubbing one's eyes in disbelief* .... no, it really IS phat32 returning from the dead! Welcome back!

As much as I've enjoyed Harlan Coben's stand-alone thrillers, I've never been a fan of his Myron Bolitar series. Just never appealed to me. Why is it that he can keep me guessing well into the last couple of pages in his stand-alones, whereas the Bolitar novels are - as you pointed out - pretty darn predictable?

If you haven't already, you should get yourself a copy of Coben's brand new stand-alone, The Woods. I liked it, although it felt a bit like Harlan Coben 1.0. Sympathetic yet troubled thirtysomething guy from New Jersey finds a not-so-well-buried secret from the past is coming back to haunt him. You know the drill. Harlan Coben may be a one trick pony, but I, for one, don't want him to learn any new tricks. The Woods kept me frantically turning pages well into the wee hours of the night while out in our summer cottage in - what do you know? - the woods.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-10-2007 at 02:59 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0;2380086;
    Both of their new books are in my 'to be read' pile along with The Namesake, Love Walked In, and The United States of Arugula!
    I loved The Namesake. Such a touching story - you really should read it before the movie comes out (if you plan on seeing it).
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2381188;
    I loved The Namesake. Such a touching story - you really should read it before the movie comes out (if you plan on seeing it).
    Thanks for the info.......didn't know it was being made into a movie! It will be moved to the top of the pile!!

I'm reading Absolute Fear by Lisa Jackson. It kind of ties into her last book, Shiver. It's pretty good so far. I just finished Isolation Ward by Joshua Spanogle. It was a decent first effort for the author.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by owlie;2372786;
    I read The Thirteenth Tale a few months ago. It started off really well--very intriguing. About 3/4 of the way through, the sparkle kind of wore off, though. Maybe I finished it too quickly to do the book justice; it was overdue and I had to bring it back to the library . I'd be very interested to read what you think of it when you're done! Make sure you post here! (please?)
    Owlie, I am a few pages from the end and the book is due back at the library today. I can totally see where your interest may have fallen off. If I had been 3/4 through today, I'd have felt the same way.

Owlie and Geek, I really love this book. I can't wait to see the pieces fall into place at the end and I really hope I am not disappointed. I will let you know when I'm completely finished The Thirteenth Tale.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Thanks for the heads-up, elk. I will definitely read The Thirteenth tale soon.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm reading The Great Book of Thrillers edited by H. Douglas Thomson. The book itself is a collection of short stories and it's divided into three parts: Stories of Mystery and Adventure, Stories of Crime and Detection and Stories of the Supernatural. It has everything from creepy tales such as The Spectre Bridegroom by Washington Irving, classic english murder mysteries such as The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie and Bitter Almonds by Dorothy Sayers and gothic sagas such as The Phantom Coach by Amelia B. Edwards or The Tapestried Chamber by Sir Walter Scott. Some of the stories I had read before, some I had never even heard of.

This book was published in 1935, so it's not exactly cutting edge, but I found it in the flea market, beautifully bound in leather with goldleaf, and since DH and I were going to Scotland (a sort of second honeymoon ) I felt it would be appropriate. We stayed in this beautiful renovated Castle in the small town of Peebles, 22 miles south of Edinburgh, by the River Tweed, and it was actually just the thing to read at nights, after crawling down under the covers . The Castle was lovely but it got quite chilly at nights, I'm not sure if it was some sort of finishing ambiénce touch or not . All in all, great fun.

I used to think I read a lot--until I came across this forum!

I'm reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pressl. I'm not very far, but thing I love about it is also the thing I hate about it. There are constant references to books, songs, artwork, television shows, people, stores, magazines, cultural icons, etc. etc. (And I mean constant--each page is filled with italics and parentheses.) On the one hand it's challenging and funny and engaging. Other hand, it is overwhelming. I *think* I like the book so far, though.

+ Reply to Thread