+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

--

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2365316;
    The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult - moving and bittersweet; graphic comics make it quite unique; surprising 9/10 (Picoult fans, what do you recommend next?)

I've read that book .. I have a friend who's really into Picoult. From most people, I've heard that My Sister's Keeper is the best.

I'm reading Brave New World. (Aldous Huxley)
    Giselle: I need to build some frickin' confidence! How do I do that?
    Elyse: You .. get out of puberty.

I just finished Can you keep a secret, by the auther of Undomestic Goddess. It's a cute, light read, which I welcomed after the last 4 books I've read.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by laneyrachel;2369880;
    I've read that book .. I have a friend who's really into Picoult. From most people, I've heard that My Sister's Keeper is the best.

I'm reading Brave New World. (Aldous Huxley)
    Thanks, Laney - I'll give that one a try next.

I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter and it was excellent. I get kind of nervous reading books that feature kids with special needs (having a child with a few special needs myself) as I often end up in empathetic tears, but this was positive - nice to find.

I am now reading Derailed which is very suspenseful and exciting so far.

Has anyone read Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2371539;
    I read The Thirteenth Tale a few months ago. It started off really well--very intriguing. About 3/4 of the way through, the sparkle kind of wore off, though. Maybe I finished it too quickly to do the book justice; it was overdue and I had to bring it back to the library . I'd be very interested to read what you think of it when you're done! Make sure you post here! (please?)

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2371539;

Nope, but I bought it a while ago and have been meaning to read it. I'm intrigued by the premise. How are you liking it so far?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

Dear Owlie and GTG

I haven't started The Thirteenth Tale yet, but it is next in the pile. I will definitely post here.

I am still being intrigued by Derailed - what a roller coaster ride!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

The Thirteenth Tale seems to be a popular read! I've only read reviews on it through Borders and Barnes & Noble. I suppose that was a sale I missed by mistake!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I loved the Thirteenth Tale. Read it for book club and it got favorable reviews all around. Then I passed it along to family and co-workers and haven't heard an unfavorable review from any of them!! I recently read Case Histories which was given kudos in this forum and I enjoyed it very much!! Just finished Liars and Saints by Maile Meloy and am almost done with the sequel, A Family Daughter. Nice quick reads, not too heavy. Thinking about starting either the new one by Jodi Picoult or Anita Shreve next.....anybody read either of those??

elk

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0;2378372;
    Thinking about starting either the new one by Jodi Picoult or Anita Shreve next.....anybody read either of those??

I read Nineteen Minutes by Picoult and thought it was wonderful. It was the first Picoult I'd read and I found her storytelling unique. I highly recommend it!

I am about 100 pages into The Thirteenth Tale. I couldn't put it down last night; I found the writing magical and suspenseful.

There is a passage near the beginning where the book store owner and his daughter finish up their work and then, for the rest of the afternoon (as usual), read. The description is beautiful and I find myself envying that kind of life...

Looking forward to reading more.

I finished Derailed by James Seigel....this is a very taut, surprising thriller and I recommend this one too.

Glad to see so many favourable reviews of The Thirteenth Tale. I'll be picking up that one next, once I've finished the novel I'm reading right now. I seldom read Swedish novels for some reason, and when I do I don't post about it here since the titles probably wouldn't mean much to any of you. This one I feel like mentioning, though, as the premise is an usual and interesting one. It is a chick lit type novel set in the gay community, and the main characters work on a site dedicated to television. Fun stuff! I'm really enjoying all the references to TV shows, reality and non-reality. I doubt it will be translated to English, though.

vondl0 , Anita Shreve and Jodi Picoult happen to be two of my favourite contemporary writers. You can't go wrong with either of them, really, but the titles that spring to mind immediately are Light on Snow and The Pilot's Wife (Shreve) and, from Picoult, My Sister's Keeper and The Tenth Circle. Anita Shreve's brand new novel, Body Surfing, seems like a good one, too. Let us know which books you end up reading, and feel free to ask for more recommendations any time.

Any Douglas Kennedy fans in the house? My day got off to a wonderful start when I had an e-mail waiting for me in my inbox informing me that his latest novel, The Woman in the Fifth, is now available for purchase. If you haven't already, look for his stuff next time you're on the prowl for a good read. All his novels are amazing, but The Big Picture and The Pursuit of Happiness are probably my favourites if push came to shove. I'm not sure which writers I should compare him to. A male Anita Shreve, perhaps? Yep, that seems about right. The Big Picture, the odd one out, actually reminds me a bit of Harlan Coben's stand-alone thrillers. It's a real page turner that will keep you right on the edge of your seat. Great stuff, but not very typical of his overall body of work, which tends to lean more towards literary fiction than suspense.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread