+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just started FALL ON YOUR KNEES by AnnMarie MacDonald. My does she have a way with language. She narrates almost like she is telling the most beautiful fairy tale, kind of reminiscent of Betty Smith's A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. I'm only about 25 pages in, but so far I am loving it.

I have actually been quite busy lately buying up hardcovers (mostly first editions) of my husband's favorite books. This is going to be a 10th anniversary present to him. It's kind of an "honor the past and look toward the future gift." For the past 12 years he has introduced me to his favorite books, the list growing as we have known each other. Some have become my favorites as well. I think it is a great gift for our future, because he loves to reread his favorites (which up until now he has only had in paperback). Also, I love the idea of having a library of the books that mean the most to us for our daughter to read as she gets older. Maybe it will help her gain insight into who we are. Here's the list of books I have bought:

28 BARBARY LANE by Armistead Maupin (these are the first three TALES OF THE CITY novels, obviously not 1st edition)
    ADVERBS by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) 1st edition, 1st printing)
    ALIAS GRACE by Margaret Atwood (1st/1st)
    THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY by Michael Chabon (1st/1st)
    AMERICAN PASTORAL by Phillip Roth (1st/1st!!!)
    CAT'S EYE by Margaret Atwood (1st/1st!!!)
    A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens (beautifully illustrated Candlewick Press edition)
    CHRISTINE by Stephen King (1st/1st!!!)
    DUNE by Frank Herbert (1984 Putnam Edition)
    HEART OF DARKNESS by Joseph Conrad (1993 Everyman's Library edition)
    THE HOUSE OF SLEEP by Jonathan Coe (1st/1st)
    JUMPING THE QUEUE by Mary Wesley (Not sure what I am getting here except that harcover w/ dj, hardest book to find, coming from Amazon UK)
    LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov (1982 hardcover edition)
    MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL by John Berendt (1st/1st)
    MURDER BEING ONCE DONE by Ruth Rendell (1st/1st library book, incredibly rare mystery novel)
    THE NAME OF THE ROSE by Umberto Eco (1st/6th)
    AN OPERATIONAL NECESSITY by Gwyn Griffin (1st/1st,rare!!)
    A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving (1st/1st!!!)
    THE REMAINS OF THE DAY by Kazuo Ishiguro (1st/3rd)
    THE SECRET HISTORY by Donna Tartt (1st/1st!!!)
    A SON OF THE CIRCUS by John Irving (1st/1st)
    THE STAND by Stephen King (Doubleday book club edition, the real deal was way too expensive!!)
    WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard George Adams (1999 Scribner Classics edition)
    THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP by John Irving (1st/5th)

I couldn't resist buying some of my favorites to add to our library as well (tee hee) With the exception of one, these are all first editions.

FLESH AND BLOOD by Michael Cunningham
    THE JOY LUCK CLUB by Amy Tan (20th printing)
    THE LIGHT OF FALLING STARS by J. Robert Lennon
    MIDWIVES by Chris Bohjalian
    THE PRINCE OF TIDES by Pat Conroy (what a find to get a 1st printing of this, and only for $9.00!)
    THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE by Audrey Niffenegger
    WHAT SHE SAW... by Lucinda Rosenfeld
    WHITE OLEANDER by Janet Fitch
    WONDER BOYS by Michael Chabon

Yes, I've spent a considerable amount of money, but it is our 10th anniversary, and we have always talked about having a library. Do any of you avid readers out there think I am being extravagant??
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Absolutely not! I love the idea, but that's probably because I am an avid reader .
    It's something you can grow and enjoy for the rest of your lives.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2362786;
    Practical Magic. First Alice Hoffman book I've ever read, I believe. I'm liking it enough to seek out some more of her work, so if anyone can recommend something, please post it.
    Oooh, good book. Really good book. I think it is my second favorite by Hoffman, first place going to Here On Earth. I'd recommend that one next if you like her work. All the books GtG listed are great, but I'd also add Local Girls and At Risk.

On a different note - Geek, I find myself always amazed at how similar your taste in books is to my own! I haven't read everything you list - not by a long shot! - but when we have read the same book, our opinions are often similar. So, I suppose I just wanted to congratulate you on having such fantastic taste in literature...

Excellent, thank you both! Just before I read your post, remotegoddess, I reserved Here On Earth, along with Blackbird House. And yeah, you can count on anything geek recommends as being worth the read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

elk

More "recovery" books read lately:

The Tutor by Peter Abrahams - 9/10; surprising and very creepy; excellent characters

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult - moving and bittersweet; graphic comics make it quite unique; surprising 9/10 (Picoult fans, what do you recommend next?)

Just starting The Memory Keeper's Daughter and oh.my.god! This is so powerful in just the first 75 pages! Has anyone else read this?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elk;2365316;
    Just starting The Memory Keeper's Daughter and oh.my.god! This is so powerful in just the first 75 pages! Has anyone else read this?
    ^ It's on my list. I've been re-arranging my list so that books I can't wait to read seem to float to the top! This one keeps inching higher and higher. I think I'll save myself the great read by finishing the ten other books I'm reading right now.

At the moment, I'm reading a few books. I'm just trying to get through most of them, but it looks like I'm making some progress since school is over and I have no job.

1. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
    2. Dracula by Bram Stoker
    3. Auriel Rising by Elizabeth Redfern
    4. The Hunter's Blades Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
    5. Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog
    6. Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
    7. An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography by Paul Rusesabagina with Tom Zoellner
    8. The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
    9. The Harder They Come by Michael Thelwell
    10. Sold by Patricia McCormick
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is anyone planning on reading Dina Matos McGreevey's book?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2363393;

On a different note - Geek, I find myself always amazed at how similar your taste in books is to my own! I haven't read everything you list - not by a long shot! - but when we have read the same book, our opinions are often similar. So, I suppose I just wanted to congratulate you on having such fantastic taste in literature...
    You sure know how to flatter a girl, remote_goddess. All I can say is: right back at ya! All the books you've mentioned in the book threads so far have been right up my alley. Great minds think alike and all that.

Here's a novel that just might be the best read of 2007 so far: The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud. I read it over the weekend and loved, loved, loved it. Frequent FORTers will know that every once in a while, with scary predictability, I will start ranting about how much I long for Great Modern Literature; a novel that takes style, characterization, and good old fashioned story telling seriously without being a pretentious snooze fest. Well, I do believe I've found it. Claire Messud has a precise, psychologically astute writing style that brings to mind the good old 19th century Realist giants (I was reminded of both Balzac and James numerous times while reading) and she takes the classic art of storytelling and puts it in a 21st century context. Her story of a group of young adults in New York before and after 9/11 moved me, big time. I will definitely start working on her back catalogue.

Oh, and JFlo? I am officially in love with your list. I found several all time faves on there. And if you're enjoying Fall on Your Knees, make sure to get The Way the Crow Flies next. Great book.

ixcrisxi, have you started The Woman Warrior yet? I read it for a lit class freshman year in college and loved it. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it when you're done.

AJane, so glad to hear you'll continue the Alice Hoffman journey. Both books you reserved are great reads, particularly Here on Earth. You've read Wuthering Heights, right? Here on Earth is a meta-novel of sorts; I'd imagine that Emily Brontë fans get more out of the story than those poor darlings not yet familiar with one of the greatest books of all time. (Yep, I'm a rabid Wuthering Heights fan. The song isn't half bad, either. )
    Last edited by geek the girl; 05-04-2007 at 03:15 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Hell yes, my copy of Wuthering Heights is all yellowed and in tatters, actually. I've even seen all the movie versions, but there has yet to be a Heathcliff I approve of.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2367524;

ixcrisxi, have you started The Woman Warrior yet? I read it for a lit class freshman year in college and loved it. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it when you're done.
    Funny you should say freshman lit class! I actually read it last fall for my freshman inquiry class (mine was literature-based). I loved it! I'm actually re-reading it for pleasure. I enjoyed it so much! I'd love to talk about it sometime! We read it as a coming of age novel, so I'm just trying to pick it apart some more without a paper hanging over my head.
    Last edited by ixcrisxi; 05-05-2007 at 03:49 AM. Reason: added some info
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread