+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Owlie, can you say why it was different on tape?
    Cricketeen, as you have said, it takes a while to settle in with the plot. I have a tendency to rush through a book to get to the point where things "start" to fall in to place. With That Old Ace in the Hole the strength of narrative comes from description, from the slow unfolding of place, history, and character. I found that listening to the book really brought out the richness of the language that I missed when I read it. Also the voice of the reader (I wish I remembered his name) was perfect--the right tone and timbre.

It's not a book for an impatient reader, but for savoring language, description and characterization, it's one of the best (IMHO)!
    Last edited by owlie; 04-24-2007 at 01:33 PM.

I started reading Harlan Coben's latest stand-alone thriller, The Woods, on the subway yesterday morning and was hooked immediately. If you're a fan of his, you'll definitely devour The Woods; all the key ingredients for a good Harlan Coben stand-alone are there. Sympathetic but troubled protaganist with a mysterious past? Check. Plot twists by the bucketload? Check. Fast-paced, smooth writing? You bet. Now, I'm only halfway through so I can't say anything about the ending (wouldn't want to spoil you anyway) but my bet is that the ending will be very Coben-esque, aka one you didn't see from a mile away. Harlan Coben entertains without underestimating his readers' intelligence. I like that about him.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

The Manual of Skin Diseases (Fourth Edition)- Sauer

elk

I have been recovering from hand surgery for two months and had lots of time to catch up on my reading. I'm going to list the ones I remember (more to come later) and what I thought of them:
    • Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - 8/10 - Excellent book!
    • The Ruins by Scott Smith - 9/10 - Best book of my recuperation
    • Trouble by Jesse Kellerman - 8/10 - Outstanding and very creepy
    • Sunstroke by Jesse Kellerman - 4/10 - meh
    • About the Author by ? - 9/10 - tied for first place, totally original and superb
    • The Red Room by Nicki French - 7/10 interesting
    • The Wrong Man by John Katzenbach - 8/10 another creepy and engaging book
    • The Analyst by John Katzenbach - 8/10 page turner!
    • Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris - 5/10 - meh
    • Cross by James Patterson - 6/10 - same old same old
    • Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern - 7/10 unique characters in a somewhat predicatable situation
    • The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon - 9/10 - tied for first, so original
    [/LIST]
    Couldn't finish Taking Lives, Daddy's Girl or Heart Shaped Box.[/LIST]
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I'd been hearing a lot about "Hollywood Car Wash" by Lori Culwell on some of the gossip blogs I read because apparently some people in the entertainment world are a bit up in arms as it's supposedly widely believed that Katie Holmes is the inspiration for the main character (a girl who shoots so sudden stardom and what she goes through to become a "star" - dieting, plastic surgery, faux relationship with closeted actor, etc.)

i was lucky enough to have a copy sent to me since it's not available anywhere besides Amazon.com and is backordered there and I finished it in about 2 days.

I love meaty books, intellectual fiction and memoirs but i also adore Chick Lit when done right. And this one definitely was. if you want a book that you can't put down and is eerily on spot about the "hollywood machine", order this one!
    "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages."

So I finished Deception Piont. I had pretty high expectations on it since it was Mr. Fatale's favourite out of that, The Da Vinci-code and A&D. It didn't let me down, it was interesting and the story was a bit more straght-forward than the other two IMO. The next sektion will discuss the conclusion of the story, so if you haven't read it and plan on doig so, don't continue reading.

Click to see Spoiler:
    One thing I think Dan Brown does too much is to make the most in-obvious person the bad guy. The same in A&D. Up until the car bomb I thought the NASA-boss was behind the whole thing (which was the point) but after that I started to suspect Pickering. Having Pickering killed in the car bomb and have Tench behind the whole operation would have been the obvious choice. Dan Brown tries too hard to avoid the obvious choce to the extent that the in-obvious choice becomes the obvious choice, just because it's Dan Brown.

But the story was good and interesting. And I liked that the senator got what he had coming.

I am currently trying to find the time to finish The Island by Heather Graham. I can't seem to spare more than five minutes at a time to read, so it is taking me forever, I have a back log of about 25 books that I want to read and by the time I start that pile I will have another 25 to add to it.

The Duchess by Bertrice Small. I'm enjoying it so far.

Practical Magic. First Alice Hoffman book I've ever read, I believe. I'm liking it enough to seek out some more of her work, so if anyone can recommend something, please post it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2362786;
    Practical Magic. First Alice Hoffman book I've ever read, I believe. I'm liking it enough to seek out some more of her work, so if anyone can recommend something, please post it.
    I thought you'd never ask, AJane. Seriously, I'm a huge Alice Hoffman fan and have been waiting for ages for someone to mention her on this board. I adore her unique brand of small town New England magical realism and pretty much devour anything she writes. Although I have yet to be disappointed by one of her novels, I have to say that my hands down favourite ones are Turtle Moon, Here on Earth, The River King, and Practical Magic. Her latest efforts, Skylight Confessions, Blackbird House, and The Probable Future are well worth your time, too.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread