+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm currently reading Deception Point by Dan Brown. It is very much written in the same tone as Angels and Deamons and The Da Vinchi-code but the story is completely different. I like that it's lots of science in it, being the science nerd that I am, I love that I am fully able to follow it. Plus it's interesting to read about the political scene in Washington D.C.

I'm really enjoying it and it's so easy to read that I think I'll be finished in just a few days (I haven't gotten halfway yet). Both the language and the story is intriguing and really draws you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2344081;
    I loved the book Running with Scissors. If you've only read a few chapters you may want to tough out a few more.
    I did finish it. Again, I didn't hate it, I think I was more disturbed by the vulgarity. I didn't mind the sex passages, it's the words he used to describe it. Same with the frequent use of the c-word. It's just all so shocking, but then again i guess his youth was shoking so those were the best words to describe it. I'm starting Dry tomorrow (left it at work) and I'll report here.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2344170;
    I'm currently reading Deception Point by Dan Brown. It is very much written in the same tone as Angels and Deamons and The Da Vinchi-code but the story is completely different. I like that it's lots of science in it, being the science nerd that I am, I love that I am fully able to follow it. Plus it's interesting to read about the political scene in Washington D.C.

I'm really enjoying it and it's so easy to read that I think I'll be finished in just a few days (I haven't gotten halfway yet). Both the language and the story is intriguing and really draws you in.
    I think Deception Point was actually his first book. I read it after A&D and DaVinci Code, too. The concept of it was interesting and I do think it was well written, but in all honesty, I was pretty disappointed with it. I guess I was hoping for something more along the lines of DaVinci Code, and when it didn't (IMO) live up to my expectations, I felt let down. After you finish it, come back and let me know what you thought.

I am currently reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey. He is a favorite author of my boyfriend, and I finished Desert Solitaire not too long ago (which I really liked!), so I've been convinced to read this one before the movie comes out... I just started the book last night, and so far I'm enjoying it.

I just plucked That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx off the shelf. Any comments, anyone?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

cricketeen, I've read it. I got The Shipping News at a garage sale a few years ago, fell in love with that one, ran out and bought this... only to be sadly disappointed. Not that it isn't well written, because it is. It is also very similar in style to The Shipping News, but IMO, it's lacking something. The beginning drags; the characters aren't as interesting; the area (Oklahoma and Texas - which, by the by, is where I live and so I'm not knocking the region in general, just as the setting of this book) is dull and stereotypical. As I said, it is very well written, and many others to whom I've loaned the book loved it. Maybe it was just the mood I was in, or my perspective, or whatever, when I read it, but to me, it did not live up to the expectations I had after reading her first book.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2345446;
    I just plucked That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx off the shelf. Any comments, anyone?
    That Old Ace in the Hole is really good to listen to on CD. It's good to read too, but hearing it was amazing!

Owlie, can you say why it was different on tape?

Remote, thanks for the input. I've read a few chapters so far, and I am feeling a bit confused with the many characters, locations and back and forth narration. He hasn't arrived at the town yet, so I hope things "settle down" when he does.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm reading Pawns Dream by Eric S. Nylund
    If you die alone, I'll follow you into the dark

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am currently working my way through Self-Made Man, by Norah Vincent. This woman, Ms. Vincent, went undercover ala makeover, as a man to find out what it's like on the other side. She successfully passed as a man, and tells what it's like, as opposed to her experiences as a woman (lesbian). Some of the things I'm reading, I'm not sure I wanted to know, but there it is. So far, she has joined an all-male bowling league, explored the seedy world of strip clubs (ewwww!), and now she's learning about what it's like to be a man trying to date women...internet, meeting in bars, etc. She does eventually tell the people she's met that she is a woman, not a man. The makeover is very convincing. Says to me that what the eyes tell you, the brain easily accepts. It is interesting, but also bothersome on another level, for me as a woman. The picture on the cover of the book is amazing, complete with 5 o'clock shadow perfectly applied.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I saw her on television (GMA, 2020?). The cameras followed her dressed as a man - it was pretty interesting. How she dressed, how she walked, how she talked - it was an amazing transformation.

+ Reply to Thread