+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

The Blind Assassin is great!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2332400;
    ...a collection of wonderfully quirky, scary, and morbid stories...
    I love compilations of short stories. Two favorites are Frederick Forsyth’s ‘No Comebacks’, and Roald Dahl’s ‘Kiss, Kiss’. I used to record them onto cassette and bring them along on backpacking trips. We’d all sit around the campfire at night and listen to the stories. Now I have Audible.com and an iPod, but I remember fondly the more home-style experience of the past.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I have finally been introduced to the fun that is Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. Her trashy Jersey-girl style is addicting.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2335463;
    I have finally been introduced to the fun that is Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. Her trashy Jersey-girl style is addicting.
    I always think of them as a sort of sluttier, spandex-encased version of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series. My favorite character in the Plum series is her grandmother. She and her "super suit" can still get me

I'm still making my way through Dolnick's The Rescue Artist. Really interesting - I'm actually learning things about various masterpieces that I never knew. Plus, the chapters are fairly short, so I can read one a day in between studying and I don't feel guilty for taking the time for something other than writing papers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just read Greg Iles Sleep No More, an alright thriller though I've enjoyed other offerings of his much more.

The twist that sets this story apart from most involves
    Click to see Spoiler:
    transmigration of the soul. An obsessed lover dead for a decade pirates anothers body to come back and get back together with her former lover, near destroying his life in the process

Neither the characters or storyline were all that appealing to me, and though I didn't need to lash myself to finish the book, it isn't something I'd recommend.

Here's another one to pass on, Andrew Vachss's Hard Looks, a book of adapted Vachss short stories done comic style. I'm a fan of Vachss's dark tales, love the Burke series more than the short stories. His obsession with wishing bad things to befall those preying on the weak and innocent is understandable and applaudable, but there is too much revisitation on the same themes in his short stories, making it appear you're reading the same story again and again.

In the trade paperback I spent 50 cents on (an incredible 17.95 retail), there were only two or three stories I cared for, the others sucked because of the drawings, the storyline, or a combination of both. Not recommended. Seek out the Burke series, but only if you like treading the nasty side of fiction to see bad guys get what they deserve.

Vachss appears to think kindly about vicious dogs savaging people to death; its a recurring theme in the comic'd short story book mentioned. (Vachss would likely argue against those humans technically being 'people', I'm betting)

One of my sisters told me the other night that she's enrolled in a class on Sign Language. The next day I happened across Christopher Brown's The Art of Sign Language PHRASES.

The first phrase I saw upon opening the book was "Please take off your clothes", an auspicious beginning in my view.

Actually this appears to be a pretty good book, nicely presented. I'd missed the 'Phrases' portion when I picked it up, but I was rushed at the time with the shop I was in closing and an armfull of other books to cull through.

The format is picture rather than drawing based, something I deem comparatively helpful personally. I'd probably get more immediate and lasting results from a book designed like this with combined visual phrases than in Signing dictionaries where it is up to you to do the combining, unless I approached Signing as something to actually set about learning, rather than another type of book of interest. I've bought quite a few signing books over the years; THIS is the one I'd currently recommend for anyone that knows nothing about Sign Language.

Edited to insert spoiler
    Last edited by Leftcoaster; 04-18-2007 at 11:18 AM.

I followed up THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE with a FABULOUS British Mystery by Kate Atkinson, called CASE HISTORIES. Very reminiscent of really good Ruth Rendell. Clever plot twists, GREAT characters, including your garden variety of neurotic and psychotic, and such a unique hero, PI Jackson Brodie. I understand she has brought him back for another novel that I would really like to check out.

I took my daughter to the library last week, not planning on borrowing for myself, but couldn't resist taking out THE USES OF ENCHANTMENT by Heidi Julavits. 1/4 of the way through and enjoying the pyschological mystery and how she is slowly divulging the truth, a lot like Margaret Atwood did in ALIAS GRACE and THE BLIND ASSASSIN, where the story is told through the use of written documents, fictitous stories, 1st hand accounts, and 1st person flashback and present day prose. It's the story of a 30 year old woman who had dissappeared for two months back in 1985, when she was a 16 year old prep school student. She claimed to be abducted, but the psychologist treating her published a book claiming that she fabricated the entire ordeal. So far, I highly recommend it.

Waiting in the wings: FALL ON YOUR KNEES by Ann-Marie MacDonald. I have some high hopes for this one, because I love a great epic family drama. FLESH AND BLOOD by Michael Cunningham is one of my favorites in that genre.

As a working mom I don't have a lot of reading time, but I have been burning out quite a few itty bitty book lights recently!
    Last edited by JFlo; 04-18-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

I enjoyed Case Histories, too, JFlo.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I love Kate Atkinson. I gave my sister "Case Histories" for Christmas, and am now just waiting patientlyl for her to actually finish it and lend it to me.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Count me in among the Kate Atkinson fans. I LOVE her. I have to read the new Jackson Brodie novel soon. JFlo, was this your first Kate Atkinson? If so, I highly recommend you check out her other novels. Human Croquet and Behind the Scenes at the Museum are just fabulous. Quite different from Case Histories, but equally quirky, original, and beautifully written.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson was really good . From her I've also read Not the End of the World, a collection of short stories, and Emotionally Weird, another mystery of sorts. Wonderful books both of them. I've been in the waiting list at the city library for Behind the scenes at the Museum for what seems like forever, but today I got the message that I could come and pick it up . Really looking forward to it.

Kate Atkinson hasn't got all that many books has she?

ETA: I just googled her. Sadly, she doesn't have all that many books, but there are still some I can read .
    Last edited by swingkat; 04-19-2007 at 02:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread