+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just started The Road by Cormac McCarthy, about a father and son in a post-apocalytpic America. Kinda slow getting into it but I hope it picks up!!

Re: What are you reading?

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I really like it so far--very gothic!

Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward....love this series!
    Yup, with donuts!!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

I'm behind the ball and am finally reading Blue Like Jazz. It's a great read so far. I enjoy the author's perspective very much. Aside from that, I've been delving into classics: Dracula, Anna Karenina, and War and Peace. It's been a fun semester.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Middle Age-A Romance by Joyce Carol Oates. I'm enjoying it - the characters are reminiscent of the ones in American Appetites, probably my favourite Oates novel.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just started "Atonement" by Ian McEwan. So far, I like it.

We've been enjoying weather more commonly found in mid-July than April, so I've spent the weekend doing what I love best: reading in the sun. First, I read The October Country by Ray Bradbury, a collection of wonderfully quirky, scary, and morbid stories that transcend both horror and sci-fi. All stories were excellent, but my favourite was probably "Skeleton", a genuinely unsettling and eerie tale of a man who becomes obsessed with his own skeleton. Very, very creepy.

Book numéro dos for the weekend was another collection of short stories by one of the best chick lit authors out there: The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner. As always, Ms Weiner delivers heartwarming, laugh-out-funny stuff, and I was particularly pleased to see the brief return of Cannie, Bruce and rat terrier extraordinaire Nifkin in one of the stories.

I also read The Washingtonienne by Jessica Cutler. I must have missed the whole debacle back in (I think) 2004, but I still enjoyed her steamy, fun novel. Pure mind candy, of course, but a pretty good beach read.

On Sunday night, I started reading I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. I've heard so many good things about it, and so far I'm liking the post-apocalyptic vibe. Aaand, it's got vampires in it! What else could a girl ask for?

Anyone else go crazy with the reading over the weekend? Come join the madness!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

This past week has been a pure "Todo en español" week for me (my mom was complaining that my writing in spanish was getting awfully full of "that thing" and "whatchamacallits" ) so I thought this would be a good way to become reacquainted with the full richness of my mother tongue . So, I read "Like water for chocolate" and "Swift as desire" by Laura Esquivel. The first I read several years ago and liked it very much. This time around was no exception. The second one is a much simpler story,but I thought it was touching and had a lot of heart, a very good read on this sunny weekend. I'm currently reading "Two Women in Prague" by Juan José Millás and while I'm only a few pages in, it's shaping out to be a good, interesting thriller. The next book will be "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I ordered it last week to a friend mine who was travelling to Madrid, and I was surprised and happy to read that Owlie thought it was a good book . I had heard good things about it but it's always good to get some confirmation. I'm really looking forward to it.

I wish my spanish was good enough to read a whole novel. I can do it, but it is a struggle. I love Isabelle Allende as well and have read many of her books (in english)

Pity the Nation: the Abduction of Lebanon by Robert Fisk about the civil war in Lebanon in the 1980's.

And continuing my journey through the works of Margaret Atwood: the Blind Assassin
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

+ Reply to Thread