+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by owlie;2298337;
    The Virgin Suicides, by Jeffrey Euginides.

Is the movie any where near as good as the book? I don't dare to watch it because I love this book so much. I am from a family of five daughters. My sisters were a little disturbed when I told them about this book
    I haven't read the book, so I wouldn't know (I've looked or it everywhere, and oddly my library doesn't have it) if it's better, but I really enjoyed the movie. But I must say that while the movie is good, it left something to be desired...like the story wasn't quite finished.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

Quote Originally Posted by owlie;2298337;
    The Virgin Suicides, by Jeffrey Euginides.

Is the movie any where near as good as the book? I don't dare to watch it because I love this book so much. I am from a family of five daughters. My sisters were a little disturbed when I told them about this book
    I saw the movie before I read the book and I did like them both, but in different ways. The book was told through the eyes of those boys, who didn't know everything about the girls, it was about their obsession, whereas in the movie we get closer to the girls. That's what I thought anyway .

Oh and Swingkat, to make spoiler tags, you type your spoiler in between the tags [ spoiler] [ /spoiler], without the spaces of course.
    Thanks GossipGirlANTM and (to myself, not to you of course ). Anyway, I'll think about the book a bit more. I'm not visiting my family for some months still and by then hopefully I will know what to do . And I agree with Femme Fatale, I thought the point of view of the movie version of "The Virgin Suicides" was different than that of the book, but I liked them both. I didnt' come out feeling angered about the book being "movie adapated" to death, like it sometimes happens with other movies based on books.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Femme: What language do you prefer to read?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I really don't know what I prefer, it depends on what copy I end up with. I think I read a bit faster in Swedish than in English, but it's only a minor difference. Sometimes it's fun to read the original version (if it's English obviously) and sometimes I feel like I should have read the original version, if the Swedish translation wasn't good, or just for nuances.

Sometimes I really feel like I want to read the original version so I just go for that, and sometimes books don't come in Swedish.

So I really don't have a preference, however the Enlgish copies are often more expensive which, of course, is a negative. Other than that it doesn't really matter.

Maybe Geek_the_Girl has some other thoughts, are you out there Geek?

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2300568;

Maybe Geek_the_Girl has some other thoughts, are you out there Geek?
    Right here.

I try to stick to the original version whenever possible, because I feel closer to the story somehow. While there are many translators of fiction of there that are doing an admirable job, I can't help but feel that many of the finer points in terms of style and characterizations are lost, as it were, in translation. Some things - puns, for example, or slang - are more or less impossible to translate and should be enjoyed the way the author intended it. Unfortunately, I can only read novels written in Swedish and English; I actually did read some Camus in French back in high school when I was abnoxiously ambitious and pretentious, and I can understand the basics in Danish and Norwegian, but I mainly stick to Swedish and English. I've been reading in English since I was a kid, so I don't feel any kind of language barrier whatsoever these days. Whenever I read a novel written in a language other than Swedish or English, it's pretty much a 50/50 tie as to whether I choose to read the Swedish or English translation. It all depends on availability. I usually find that the British and American book market is a lot faster when it comes to translating foreign novels, and since I'm not only a diehard book worm but an impatient diehard book worm, you can all guess what I usually opt for.

Another reason why I prefer to read in English is that I like to keep up with my favourite authors, who all happen to be native speakers of English. Why wait for two years to read the latest Joyce Carol Oates or Stephen King when I can get it on its release date AND get all the lovely nuances, puns, and stylistic elaborations that tend to get lost in translation?

So yeah, to answer Uncle David's and femme fatale'squestion: whenever I refer to a book originally written in English, it's a safe bet to guess that I've read it in English.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I don't have favourite authors in the same way as you geek, I'm more impulsive. If a book semms interesting I'll pick it up, no matter the language. Of course you are right, there are stuff that gets lost in translation. As for reading in English I really don't have a problem either, like I said it might just take a little bit longer but I don't need the dictionary at all 8unless it's REALLY hard words).

I have book of short stories in French, I'll fresh up on my French with it when I'll find time and energy.

To get back on topic I am currently reading a Swedish book so I doubt it'll be of interest, after all, it's mostly non-Swedish speaking people here

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Geek: I never would have pegged you for a Stephen King fan.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2300673;
    Geek: I never would have pegged you for a Stephen King fan.
    Really? Ha, busted! You've only just started frequenting the FORT book section, haven't you? I've been a massive fan of Mr King even since Cujo scared the bejesus out of me at the tender age of nine. If you look through the threads, there's even one dedicated to my odyssey to Essex, England to visit a Stephen King book signing buried somewhere downthread.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Thanks for the comments re: The Virgin Suicides. I'll have to find time to watch the movie now!

+ Reply to Thread