+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just finished 'Beloved' by Bertrice Small. I loved it very much. I think it's her best book.

Just started 'Whitney, My Love' by Judith McNaught.

She's going to be at the Romantic Times convention in Houston in April. I'm going to stalk her like a coyote and get her autograph. She's the author I want to be when I grow up.
    I'm jealous . She's someone I really want to meet. I love her books so much. I think she's a very good writer.
    Last edited by Mya26; 03-14-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    Ahhh, Judith McNaught and "Whitney My Love"...an oldie but a goodie! It's good to know that somebody else reads romance besides me on this board since I never see it mentioned.
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

Here's a thread you might like, texasgirl.

Any Trashy Romance Novel Readers Out There?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Because I spend a significant amount of time on the road I can only listen to books. (I have an overused subscription to Audible.com)

Let me highly recommend Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees, read by Jenna Lamia. Wonderful book, brilliantly read. Iím sure it reads well, but the audible version is superb.

Itís along the lines of To Kill a Mockingbird with less mystery and more human predicament. I give it

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Uncle David, I'm so with you on The Secret Life of Bees. It is easily one of the most memorable books I've read in the last couple of years, and I read a lot. If you haven't already, you might want to check out Monk Kidd's latest effort, The Mermaid Chair. It's different from "Bees" in terms of theme and setting, but the language and overall feel is there. I liked it a lot.

I'm just about to get into my bathtub with New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. It's in hardcover, which says a lot about just how much I'm enjoying it: usually, I try to steer clear of the "bathtub/hardcover" combo but I can't seem to stop reading. Nice job, Ms Meyer. Can't wait for the third Bella/Edward instalment, which will be about in September according to Stephenie Meyers official website.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

A Booke of Days by Stephen J. Rivelle
    A novel of the first Crusade, written in the form of a diary of Roger, Duke of Lunel, a minor French noble who embarks upon the Crusade to atone for his sins. Although Roger has the typical misogynistic, anti-Semite attitude of the time he is more reflective than most and the things that he sees and experiences - the ransacking of Christian towns, the fighting between competing Catholic groups, the political and military rivalry between the Catholic authorities and the Byzantine Empire, the corrupt priest and bishops accompanying the Crusaders, etc. - lead him to question the righteousness of what they are doing.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare of course...it's a romance, starts out with main characters hating each other, but of course they end up falling in love

Moral Disorder, Margaret Atwood's latest. I'm her Number One Fan (said in a creepy Annie Wilkes-type voice ) but this book is, well, disordered. I'm only a couple of chapters in but the narrative is all over the place. Atwood often switches from first to third-person narrative, and her novels aren't strictly told in chronological order, but this one is downright confusing. I won't give it up because it IS Atwood, but it's not her best effort.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Awww, AJane, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've suspected as much after reading some rather disappointing reviews, but since I'm a number one fan (insert creepy Annie Wilkes voice) too, I've been in denial. Needless to say, I'll still read it. It seems to me, though, that it's about time Atwood wrote another big fat novel with fully realized characters and a gripping story. Trademark Atwood, in other words. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for, does it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2283365;
    Because I spend a significant amount of time on the road I can only listen to books. (I have an overused subscription to Audible.com)

Let me highly recommend Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees, read by Jenna Lamia. Wonderful book, brilliantly read. Iím sure it reads well, but the audible version is superb.

Itís along the lines of To Kill a Mockingbird with less mystery and more human predicament. I give it

That was a great book! I read it a little while back and loved it. I recommended it to two friends who liked it equally as much as I did.

I recently finished Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck! by Chris Moore. I liked them, but in my opinion, not his best. I've got Life of Pi and Dress Your Family in Courderoy and Denim in line, but I think I'm in the mood for some good Fantasy/Sci-Fi. Anyone have any recommendations? A friend suggested the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books (are there three?) with two thumbs up. Opinions?

+ Reply to Thread