+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Just finished The Pursuit of Happyness. Amazing book, and well worth the read.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2259655;
    Just finished The Pursuit of Happyness. Amazing book, and well worth the read.
    By Douglas Kennedy? He's one of my favourite writers; he can't go wrong in my book. Or, wait, is it the book that inspired the Will Smith movie? I just realised that Kennedy's novel is called The Pursuit of Happiness. *spelling geek* In any case, the Douglas Kennedy one is an amzing book, too.

I FINALLY managed to get a copy of Twilight by our very own Stephenie Meyer and boy, am I proud to be a FORTer or what? I started it last night and couldn't put it down. It's heartfelt, engaging, beautifully written... aaand it's got vampires in it! What else could you possibly ask for?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2260617;
    I FINALLY managed to get a copy of Twilight by our very own Stephenie Meyer and boy, am I proud to be a FORTer or what? I started it last night and couldn't put it down. It's heartfelt, engaging, beautifully written... aaand it's got vampires in it! What else could you possibly ask for?
    For it to be time for the third book to come out!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2260867;
    For it to be time for the third book to come out!
    There is that, of course. One of the advantages of arriving late to the party (as it were) is the fact that when I'm done with Twilight, I'll have another marvellous Stephenie Meyer novel to look forward to. New Moon was released not too long ago, right? Can't wait to read it. If it's anyway near as captivating as Twilight, I'm bound to love it.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 03-02-2007 at 02:41 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I have been trying to get Children of Men started. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie, which I heard is also very good.

I recently finished The Undomestic Goddess for the second time. I love that book! Its a cheery and refreshing change from the political crud I have to read for school or the engineering work I do, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2260617;
    By Douglas Kennedy? He's one of my favourite writers; he can't go wrong in my book. Or, wait, is it the book that inspired the Will Smith movie? I just realised that Kennedy's novel is called The Pursuit of Happiness. *spelling geek* In any case, the Douglas Kennedy one is an amzing book, too.
    The book by Chris Gardner that the movie is based on. Though more that 75% that is talked about in the book isn't in the movie. It is amazing the things that people can go through and still come out on top.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'm just beginning Joshua's Hammer by David Hagberg, a thriller involving a CIA agent as hero intent on stopping from detonating on an American target a one-kiloton nuclear demolition bomb Osama bin Laden's gotten his hands on and is even more eager to use than he otherwise might have been seeing as a U.S. strike in Afghanistan has killed his daughter.

Mentioning it for two reasons. First, that while Hagberg (who also writes as Sean Flannery) may mainly be intent on making a buck cranking out books as he does (29 and counting as of this novels date), this genre of thriller provides a service beyond the entertainment of the read, the warning associated with whoever the baddies happen to be.

The timing of the book is the second reason I mention it. There's a plethora of novels about terrorists, rogue states and other uppity nation adversaries prior to as well as following the attacks of 9/11/01, this may be the closest novel of this type preceeding those attacks I've personally run across and the main baddie is bin Laden aiming for spectacular destruction. The first mass market printing that I'm reading is dated June 2001, leaving me with the chilling image that someone on one of those flights might easily have brought this book along to pass the time.

I'm reading the 4th book of the Left Behind series. It's a great series. I've read it before, so I'm on my second read-through now. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I just finished The Messenger by Markus Zusak. While technically it is classified as a book for older teens, it is extremely well written and can be read on 2 levels. It was one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2264653;
    I'm just beginning Joshua's Hammer by David Hagberg, a thriller involving a CIA agent as hero intent on stopping from detonating on an American target a one-kiloton nuclear demolition bomb Osama bin Laden's gotten his hands on and is even more eager to use than he otherwise might have been seeing as a U.S. strike in Afghanistan has killed his daughter.

Mentioning it for two reasons. First, that while Hagberg (who also writes as Sean Flannery) may mainly be intent on making a buck cranking out books as he does (29 and counting as of this novels date), this genre of thriller provides a service beyond the entertainment of the read, the warning associated with whoever the baddies happen to be.

The timing of the book is the second reason I mention it. There's a plethora of novels about terrorists, rogue states and other uppity nation adversaries prior to as well as following the attacks of 9/11/01, this may be the closest novel of this type preceeding those attacks I've personally run across and the main baddie is bin Laden aiming for spectacular destruction. The first mass market printing that I'm reading is dated June 2001, leaving me with the chilling image that someone on one of those flights might easily have brought this book along to pass the time.
    GREAT BOOK!!!! I really enjoyed it.
    Try "The Afgan" by Frederick Forsyth if you liked Joshua's Hammer. VERY interesting book.

I'm reading 2 books at once, both by the same author. One historic fiction, the other non-fiction. Hornets Nest and Palestine: Peace not Aparthied by Jimmy Carter.
    Hornest Nest is interesting from a historical standpoint, but its not that thrilling a story. The other is extremely interesting in light of today's world situation. I've learned quite a lot about the history of the middle east that I did not know. Even if you do not like Carter's politics, the book is intense reading and gives a lot of background as to the why's of all the conflicts in the middle east.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread