+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Step on a Crack by James Patterson
    Not an Alex Cross book, although the title does make it sound like it is.
    Terrorists take hostages at the former First Lady's funeral in NYC.
    On a side note, the main character's wife is dying of Uteran cancer and he has 10 kids. Devastatingly one of my dearest friends died of this same cancer on valentine's Day. This book does not pull any punches, so be forewarned. I had to put the book down and bawl a few times.
    Still a great read.

kattattude and AJane, Cornedbeef is absolutely right: Stephen King has two sons, both published authors. Joe Hill (pseudonym for Joe Hillstrom King) is the only one who has dared to tread into dad's territory, though. I'm not done with Heart-Shaped Box yet, but so far I'm digging it. Macabre, fun, and scary, and well-written, too. His writing style is very different from Stephen's though, and thank God for that. He seems to be doing his own thing, and doing it well. Good for him.

For those of you who are interested, here's the link to a pretty interesting article about Joe Hill, his relationship with Stephen King and how he deals with the inevitable comparisons: Unwritten publishing secret out of the 'Box' - USATODAY.com I'd imagine it doesn't help that he looks exactly like Stephen King in his beard-sporting college days. I mean, look at that picture! The resemblance is uncanny.

Since I've been on a bit of a horror binge lately, I've also read Lost Boy Lost Girl by Peter Straub. It wasn't as good as Ghost Story but I enjoyed it anyway. I was particularly pleased by all the references to popular music in general and The Magnetic Fields in particular. Peter Straub the indie geek, who would have thought?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2248974;
    Please come back with a review when you're done, CCL! I've read all of Rutherfurd's other books not in that series, but I've been reticent to get that one since it didn't get such great reviews. I do love his writing style.
    I've not read any of his other books, Critical, so I can't say how the Dublin Saga compares to his other works. I'm about 20 % through and so far, so good. He can be a bit long with the exposition, and sometimes he's a bit too flowery, but overall I'm finding the book pretty interesting.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Since Rome is on hiatus I am re-reading the October Horse by Colleen McCullough, the 6th and last in her Master of Rome serious which covers the period from Julius Caesar's arrival in Egypt to the battles of Philippi. I really enjoyed the books, but the character of Julius Caesar does not feel like a real person.

I am also just starting Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Cat's Eye is a very good Atwood. Sometimes I love her, sometimes she's just a little much. This one is good.

Really liked Oryx and Crake - I read that a few months ago.

Yep, Cat's Eye is a favourite Atwood of mine, too. But then again, I'm quite partial to anything Atwood... Let us know how you like it, William13.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I recently read The Robber Bride and really loved it. I have never read a book where I wanted to meet the characters and have them in my life before.I had to hurry a bit to finish it because a television movie version of the novel was about to be shown in Canada (according to Entertainment Weekly it is going to be shown on the Oxygen network this week). It was so unrecognizable that I couldn't even sit through it, but our receptionist, who hadn't read the book enjoyed it. So I am on somewhat of an Atwood addiction at the moment.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I just read The Messenger by Markus Zusak. It is rated as a "teen book" but it has so many levels that as an adult, I just loved it. I highly recommend it as a book with a great "message".

Just finished Phantoms by Dean Knootz. I really loved it.

Just started reading Beloved by Bertrice Small.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mya26;2259131;
    Just started reading Beloved by Bertrice Small.
    She's going to be at the Romantic Times convention in Houston in April. I'm going to stalk her like a coyote and get her autograph. She's the author I want to be when I grow up.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

+ Reply to Thread