+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2248016;
    It's been a long time but I seem to remember Gunslinger picking up by the end. It's been long enough that I could be thinking of the second book, like Lucy said.

I just finished a book I picked up on the front display at the library - you know, where they put the popular, sort of trendy books? It's called A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. (Is that name an anagram or something?) Anyway, it's set in 1890's England, and there's sort of a supernatural plot set at a girls' boarding school. It was a little hokey but there was a twist in there that surprised me.

I finished it this morning, and as I put it on the shelf I noticed for the first time that it had a "Young Adult" sticker on the binding. I can't believe I didn't notice that, but I still found it an enjoyable read.
    Hepcat, if you pronounce the name Libba Bray really quickly or very often it might sound like library. Just finished reading Snow Flower and the Secret fan which I enjoyed immensely and I'm about to start reading a Janet Evanonich novel.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 02-20-2007 at 06:41 PM.

FORT Fan
    i just finished reading..ITS NO SECRET..by carmen bryan ..it was such a good book in my opinion..i finished it in one day

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2248911;
    Currently reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherford.
    Please come back with a review when you're done, CCL! I've read all of Rutherfurd's other books not in that series, but I've been reticent to get that one since it didn't get such great reviews. I do love his writing style.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2248363;
    It sounds interesting. Is it based on a true story?
    No, I'm pretty sure it's fiction.
    It's still very good though.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

I finished reading "Twilight" and "New Moon" by Stephenie Meyer. Along with "You Suck" by Christopher Moore. All 3 books are awesome!

I just got Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill in the mail. It is a supernatural thriller, and I must admit it would probably have passed me by had the author not been Stephen King's oldest son. His debut effort, a collection of short stories, won the Bram Stoker award so it would appear that he's managed to fill his father's shoes. At least partially - those are pretty big shoes.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek, are you saying that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son? I'll have to be on the lookout for that one. Have you read any of King's wife Tabitha's books?

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo;2249563;
    I finished reading "Twilight" and "New Moon" by Stephenie Meyer. Along with "You Suck" by Christopher Moore. All 3 books are awesome!
    Oh, I love Christopher Moore. I just got "You Suck" for Valentines Day (yes, I have an odd BF, but he knows me oh so well...) but haven't started it yet. I've been tied up with "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut. Just finished it over the weekend, and I loved it. I have never read Vonnegut before, I guess because I thought it would be a heavy, philosophical style. That sink-your-teeth-into stuff is fine if you're in the mood for that, which I seldom am! But "Sirens" was funny and fast-paced and just odd-ball enough to really draw me in. "Cat's Cradle" is next in line for me. Anyone read it? Reviews?

Also starting "The Ice Queen" by Alice Hoffman. I really like her style of writing - very evocative. This looks like it should be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude;2250217;
    Geek, are you saying that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son? I'll have to be on the lookout for that one. Have you read any of King's wife Tabitha's books?
    I'd like to know too! I thought Stephen King's son's name was Owen (how sad is it that I know that? ).

I've read one of Tabitha King's books, Pearl. Not bad, but it didn't inspire me to make a big effort to seek out any more of her work.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Stephen King has three children Naomi Rachel, Joe Hill and Owen Philip.

+ Reply to Thread