+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just started, and finished, a book today at work. Psychward by Stephen B. Seager, MD. It was a really interesting book. He wrote about his first year of internship at a psych hospital.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I'm plugging my way through Stephen King's first Dark Tower book, The Gunslinger. I've heard such good things about the series, but this book just isn't really grabbing me. It's making me feel pretty stupid, actually, because I'm reading it, and it's like...I don't know...I know all the words I'm reading, but I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2247748;
    I'm plugging my way through Stephen King's first Dark Tower book, The Gunslinger. I've heard such good things about the series, but this book just isn't really grabbing me. It's making me feel pretty stupid, actually, because I'm reading it, and it's like...I don't know...I know all the words I'm reading, but I just don't get it.
    Amanda - I felt that way with Kazuo Ishiguro's The Unconsoled. I kept saying to myself, "This book is written in English and English is my native language. Why can't I understand this?" I think some writing just doesn't click in your brain or something

I'm about half way through The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's for a class and I've read it before, but I'm quite enjoying it. A nice break from the dry, academic stuff I've been having to read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Amanda, I didn't really enjoy The Gunslinger either, but I did get through it, and then the story begins picking up in the second book. So I'd say get through that and give the second book a try before you give up on the series.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It's been a long time but I seem to remember Gunslinger picking up by the end. It's been long enough that I could be thinking of the second book, like Lucy said.

I just finished a book I picked up on the front display at the library - you know, where they put the popular, sort of trendy books? It's called A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. (Is that name an anagram or something?) Anyway, it's set in 1890's England, and there's sort of a supernatural plot set at a girls' boarding school. It was a little hokey but there was a twist in there that surprised me.

I finished it this morning, and as I put it on the shelf I noticed for the first time that it had a "Young Adult" sticker on the binding. I can't believe I didn't notice that, but I still found it an enjoyable read.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm reading this Book called Skinny by Ibi Kaslik. It's about a recovering 22-year old medical student who is a recovering anorexic, and her 14-year old sister, and the things in thier past that they have to face, like their father's death. I really like it....I'm about halfway though right now.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

Quote Originally Posted by GossipGirlANTM;2248020;
    I'm reading this Book called Skinny by Ibi Kaslik. It's about a recovering 22-year old medical student who is a recovering anorexic, and her 14-year old sister, and the things in thier past that they have to face, like their father's death. I really like it....I'm about halfway though right now.
    It sounds interesting. Is it based on a true story?

Critical, have you tried any other Kazuo Ishiguro books? We just read Never Let Me Go for my book club, and I loved it.

The only other Ishiguro book I've read is The Remains of the Day, which I loved. I've heard good things about Never Let Me Go as well. More than one person has told me that The Unconsoled was incomprehensible - and these are very well-read people that you wouldn't imagine would have problems "getting" a book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2248016;
    It's been a long time but I seem to remember Gunslinger picking up by the end. It's been long enough that I could be thinking of the second book, like Lucy said.

I just finished a book I picked up on the front display at the library - you know, where they put the popular, sort of trendy books? It's called A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. (Is that name an anagram or something?) Anyway, it's set in 1890's England, and there's sort of a supernatural plot set at a girls' boarding school. It was a little hokey but there was a twist in there that surprised me.

I finished it this morning, and as I put it on the shelf I noticed for the first time that it had a "Young Adult" sticker on the binding. I can't believe I didn't notice that, but I still found it an enjoyable read.
    Oh, hepcat, I totally bought that book because it seemed interesting. I haven't read it yet so I can't give my two cents. But sometimes it seems that some "Young Adult"/Children's books are better than a lot of the other books out there.

Currently reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherford.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread