+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just finished "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Hilarious story about Armageddon, and I think it would appeal to those of you who like the Jasper Fforde books -- same sort of weird humor.

I just finished Steven Pressfield's Gates Of Fire, a tale of the Battle of Thermopylae between the arrayed might of the minions of the Persian Empire and the token force of Spartans and their Hellenic allies.

Brought tears to my eyes at a few points, what a magnificent recreation of a battle and a people.

Far, far better than I'd have expected from the creator of The Legend Of Bagger Vance, though I base that on the movie, not the novel I never read.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2237114;
    I just finished Steven Pressfield's Gates Of Fire, a tale of the Battle of Thermopylae between the arrayed might of the minions of the Persian Empire and the token force of Spartans and their Hellenic allies.

Brought tears to my eyes at a few points, what a magnificent recreation of a battle and a people.

Far, far better than I'd have expected from the creator of The Legend Of Bagger Vance, though I base that on the movie, not the novel I never read.
    Leftcoaster, that is the book that was selected in the book club.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2237121;
    Leftcoaster, that is the book that was selected in the book club.
    Book club?

I need to amble into this forum more frequently.

Just started Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson. I've read and enjoyed her very funny and original debut novel, Gods in Alabama, and I'm hoping this one will turn out to be another winner.

The latest Alice Hoffman was great, by the way, as is everything she publishes. If you haven't already, you should all check her out. It's magical realism, Anne Tyler-esque characters, family drama, and luminious languages all rolled into one lovely package.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Plain Truth by Jodie Picoult. I read one other of her books and found it so-so, but I can't put this one down.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2239878;
    Plain Truth by Jodie Picoult. I read one other of her books and found it so-so, but I can't put this one down.
    That's the one about the Amish, right? I've read several of Jodi Picoult's novels and have enjoyed them all. My favourite books by her are probably The Tenth Circle and My Sister's Keeper. I love how she presents rather complex moral dilemmas and makes them into page turners. Shouldn't there be a new book out soon?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Yes, it is the Amish story. I finished it last night and enjoyed it through to the end. I live somewhat near an Amish community, so perhaps that's what kept my interest. I finally remembered the other book of hers that I read was Vanishing Acts. I thought it fell flat at the end, but after reading this one, I'll give her another try. Keeping Faith is on my bookshelf gathering dust, does anyone have an opinion on it?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2237159;
    Book club?

I need to amble into this forum more frequently.
    Leftcoaster, thank you for your analysis of the book

I'm reading :
    "New moon" by Stephenie Meyer
    "A night to remember" by Walter Lord .
    Last edited by Eragon; 02-17-2007 at 08:54 AM.
    "Y así es como el león se enamoró de la oveja"

+ Reply to Thread