+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    For Work: Writing Articles I've been meaning to put a dent in.

To Fill the Well: The Time Travelers Wife

For Fun: Neurmar's Last Witch by: AE Rought. I read it a couple weeks ago, but her descriptions are excellent. You get a feel of the land without intrusive voice.

Im a writer, so I look for that stuff.

I read a lot of romance, that's what I write and how I make my living, so I need to know what's popular. Plus I love it. Also read a lot of Tom Clancy.

Someone commented that some romance novels cap entire words. That's all the editor, not the writer. Some houses prefer it. They are fewer and fewer now that romance authors are much better writers. The genre is very competative.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Just started The Resort by Bentley Little after having heard good things about him on the FORT. (Texicana, come out, come out, wherever you are! ) So far, I'm liking it. Scary, funny, and fast-paced. A great in-betweener; I am still processing The Night Watch and wanted something a bit more light hearted.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just started "Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Tracy Chevalier.

The movie was really great and in this instance I'm glad I didn't read the book first or I may never have graduated to see the movie at all, which would have been a shame. I had high hopes for the book but the fist paragraph is already killing it for me: "[]I did not cry as a baby. Only my mother would note the tightness along my jaw, the widening of my already wide eyes." Okay. I'm all for poetic license and all that but blatant stupidity is hard to swallow.

I'll give it a chance but I'm annoyed and when a book annoys me it usually lands across the room smack against a wall. We shall see.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I've read four books this past week. The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillippa Gregory, an historical novel about Katherine Howard, Anne of Cleves and their marriages to Henry VIII. Just okay. Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich, the last in the Stephanie Plum series...for now. Mind candy, which I like. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See about 2 friends in China...loved it. And last, but not least, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir. A very good read.

elk
    Just finished 'Candles Burning', a book started by Michael MacDowell and, after his death, finished by Tabitha King (wife to Stephen King). This is a very cool book - creepy and surprising. I really recommend this.

Am halfway through The Wrong Man by Jeffrey Katzenbach. This is a chilling book where the stalker of a young woman infiltrates the lives of those close to her. It is one of the scariest I've read in ages.

Other recent reads are: Baby Proof, Something Blue, Good in Bed for fun.

I also read 'At the Speed of Dark' by Elizabeth Moon - an awesome novel which takes place in the future where disease and disorders are eradicated and life can be extended for a price.

Has anyone read any of these?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude;2226984;
    I've read four books this past week. The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillippa Gregory, an historical novel about Katherine Howard, Anne of Cleves and their marriages to Henry VIII. Just okay. Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich, the last in the Stephanie Plum series...for now. Mind candy, which I like. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See about 2 friends in China...loved it. And last, but not least, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir. A very good read.
    Kattatude, I read all the Sue Grafton novels and they are easy to get into. They are mind candy as well. I am currently reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude;2226984;
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See about 2 friends in China...loved it. And last, but not least, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, a memoir. A very good read.
    Kattatude, I loved both those books. I read the joy luck club right after reading Snow Flower and I regretted it. I ended up being disappointed with Joy luck, but I blame myself for that. I could not help comparing the two styles of writing.

Right now, I am reading La part de l'autre, by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. It's a really interesting book about Hitler's life and his parallel life.

I just made a little research and found the book was translated in English. It's called "The Alternative Hypothesis". Here is a summary:
    On the 8th October 1909, Adolf Hitler was refused entry to the Fine Art Academy in Vienna. What would have happened if the jury had decided otherwise and accepted him? That decision would have changed the course of a life, the life of a timid, empassioned youth, the life of Adolf Hitler. But it would also have changed the course of the world.
    I highly recommend it (and I hope the translation is good).

Oh Look, A Farce! MysticalChicken's Avatar
    Currently re-reading Apollo 13 for about the half-dozenth time.

I want to order The Best Democracy Money can Buy by Greg Palast, The Corporation by Joel Bakan, and No Logo by Naomi Klein off of amazon.com.
    "Don't piss off the chicken gods. :nono" -Stargazer (on Lydia, Steph and Danni eating the sacrificial chicken on Survivor)

CornedBeef, do the Sue Grafton books have any humor in them? That's what I really enjoy about the Evanovich books. The mental image of Ranger and Joe doesn't hurt either!

DesertRose, I read The Joy Luck Club years ago, and I liked it a lot. I have enjoyed most of the books by Amy Tan. I really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, too. I seem to like books set in China. Have you read any of Pearl S. Buck's books? I'm from West Virginia, but I've never been to the Welch area that the Walls book mentions. That book will stay with me for a while.

I'm currently reading a book by Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's son) called The Snow Garden. It's okay, but I've found several errors in it which really bugs me. Mostly spelling and grammatical, but goodness, I think they should have checked it over a little better! I read another book by him over the weekend called A Density of Souls. He doesn't write about the supernatural, but his books do have a somewhat dark theme to them.

Kattatude, there are elements of humor in the Kinsey Millhone novels.

+ Reply to Thread