+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just finished reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I couldn't put it down and read it in less than 24 hours. Of course, nothing else got done! I'm now beginning The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald. I'm finding it a little harder to get into than her previous novel, but I'm plugging on.

Just completed The Wedding by Nicolas Sparks. I thought it was okay. The characters were very dull.

I just started Naked Prey by John Sandford. I'm enjoying it so far. I've missed reading about Lucas.

I was in an airport the other day, and picked up what has turned out the be the WORST book. "Seven Ancient Wonders", by Matthew Reilly. From the back:

"An ancient secret is unlocked...

Two thousand years ago, it was divided into seven pieces and hidden within the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Now, with the imminent arrival of a rare solar event, it must be found again and reassembled..."

Okay, so I knew it wasn't going to be great literature. The main character is an archaeologist/soldier.

What I didn't expect was just how poor the actual writing would be, and how much the awful formatting would piss me off. For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid book
    As he ran, West fired a flare into the darkness ahead of them--
    --and thus revealed their menace.
    "It's a sliding stone!" Wizard called. "Guarding the Third Gate!"
    A giant square-shaped block of grainite -- its shape filling the slipway perfectly and its leading face covered in vicious spikes -- was sliding down the slipway, coming directly towards them!
    Did you see all the exclamation points! Holy crap, how very exciting!

And why the weird line breaks with the dashes?

Eh, it sucks. Don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2213028;
    Did you see all the exclamation points! Holy crap, how very exciting!

And why the weird line breaks with the dashes?
    I thought that was your editing. I absolutely will not be buying this (or taking it out of the library or picking it up if I happen to see it lying on one of the benches in my workplace lobby like I did with that L. Ron Hubbard magnum opus).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2213028;
    I was in an airport the other day, and picked up what has turned out the be the WORST book.
    Let that be a lesson to you, missy. Never go to an airport unprepared. :nono
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

It's all Stephen King's fault, really. I bought The Cell to read on the first part of the trip, but didn't expect to finish it and need another book on the way home. Most of his books take me a good month to read.

Anyone who writes a horror novel about a cell phone should at the very least know to call it HELL PHONE.

I am reading Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet. Great book about students at the University of Chicago Middle school tyring to solve an art theft.

I've just recently started Rupert Everett's Red Carpets and other Banana Skins. I've absolutely loved him as an actor, and his humor definitely translates well onto the written page.

I never realized that he had written a fiction book awhile ago. I'm definitely going to have to check that out as well.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread