+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Hey Fellow FORT readers!

I'm back from a nice long holiday, and the best part about long trips is that they can be great excuse for catching up on reading!

I finished Crime & Punishment, and loved it; any other suggestions for someone just getting into Dostoevsky's oeuvre? I had a hankering for mystery and a friend lent me Sue Grafton's N is for Noose; how is the rest of this series? I'd also always been interested in reading Carl Hiassen, so I got Skinny Dip, a really funny, madcap revenge caper; if anyone can suggest any more by him, please do. I was also read Robin McKinley's Sunshine. I just finished Lisey's Story, Stephen King's latest.

Now I'm just trying to decide what to read next. I got a number of books for Christmas, including one by director David Lynch (can't remember the title just now, I think it has to do with water), a Richard Matheson collection including I am Legend, and Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl;2204942;
    Hey Fellow FORT readers!

I had a hankering for mystery and a friend lent me Sue Grafton's N is for Noose; how is the rest of this series?.[/I]
    I read all of them up to S is for Snooze. Don't know if T is for... has come out yet. Some of her novels are better than others. Welcome back Snowflakegirl or should I say melted Snowflakegirl.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl;2204942;

I finished Crime & Punishment, and loved it; any other suggestions for someone just getting into Dostoevsky's oeuvre?
    Snowy! Welcome back from your vacation. Sounds like you had a lovely time.

Although Crime and Punishment is hands down my favourite Dostoyevsky novel, I'm quite partial to The Brothers Karamazov and Notes from the Underground as well. The former is a big fat novel, the latter a slim but intense novella. Both are brilliant. Come on, what are you waiting for?

Speaking of big fat novels: I just started reading the fabulous Sarah Waters' latest effort, The Night Watch. London under Queen Victoria's reign is her usual forte; this one takes place in London during the 1940's, so it's a bit of her stretch from her usual premises. Being a sucker for anything vaguely Victorian, I must admit I was a wee bit sceptical at first. No petticoats, Dickensian pickpockets or dreary work houses? Bah, humbug! From what I've read so far, though, 1940's London seems to agree with Ms Waters. The novel has an intruiging structure - it begins at the end, in 1947, and then progresses back in time, back to the Second World War and the Blitz. It is both a love story and a captivating account of wartime London, and if you're at all interested in historical fiction, you really ought to check it out.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Love those kinds of stories, Geek, thanks for the recommendation.

Has anyone read The Fig Eater? I'm arranging my "to read" book pile and am wondering if it deserves to be moved to the top.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    I'm reading Frederick Forsyth's Afgan which has been very interesting in the fact that it explains a lot of "myths" concerning the Koran, Jihad, suicide bombers and islam extremists.

I'm also reading a biography of Benjamin Franklin that has been both boring and interesting and certainly comprehensive. I never knew he was such a ladies man and also an athiest.

Will need some light reading after these two books
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just finished Saving Fish From Drowning, by Amy Tan because some readers here were talking about it.

It was...interesting. I didn't like it nearly as much as her other works. It was a bit unsatisfying. What did others think?

I just finished it, too. I thought it started out good enough, but I lost interest about 2/3 in. I finished out of curiosity, but don't feel it was that satisfying of a read either.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm reading Myth-Gotten Gaines by Robert Asprin and Jody Lyne Nye. I love thise series so much! I've read every single one of them.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

You wouldn't it know it by the books I read--but I had an excellent holiday season...

I read and enjoyed both "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and "World War Z" by Max Brooks.

Very different approaches to dystopian futures. "The Road" is a tale of a man guiding his son through the charred post-apocalyptic landscape. There doesn't seem to be much hope...but reading between the lines and letting the atmosphere and the pull/tug of the father/son relationship opens you to a world of lost dreams and uncertain moments leading to a bleak end that each of them tries to push away as long as they can. It rightfully won a lot of "best of the year" awards--but isn't for everyone.

On the other hand, there's no need to read between the lines in "World War Z"--an excellent and detailed faux-history of our own world written after the upcoming war against the living dead. It's not a horror tale--as the entire book is written as if it were compiled from interviews of people who survived a very clearly thought out "what if zombies were real--how would the modern world that we know respond, react...would it survive?"-war.

You'll recognize some famous (but unnamed people) and you can put yourself into a few very uncomfortable "yeah, that's probably exactly what would happen" moments.

Brad Pitt's production company won the rights to make a film out of it--and it should be interesting to see how he makes it different than just a standard "zombies/_____ of the Dead" movie.

The book is fascinating--especially for any of you who read non-fiction regularly...as it takes the constructs of that style and marries it up to a believable fictional creation.

pg

Just got my filthy paws on the latest Alice Hoffman, Skylight Confessions. I'm a big fan of Hoffman's novels, so I can't wait to start reading.

Oh, and I cannot emphasize enough just how utterly readable I found The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. Couldn't She should have won the Booker Prize* - girl was robbed! I'll make sure to tell her when she comes to Stockholm to promote Night Watch next week.

* She was shortlisted but didn't win. Same thing with the Orange award.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread