+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just started Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer and am loving it. No, it's not Harry Bosch, but Connelly's writing is familiar and comfortable, even without the same characters.

BTW Lucy - I LOVED Mistress of the Art of Death! I was so happy that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Rowley wasn't the killer!
    Also, I was excited to see that she's at work on the next book in the series.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Manny, good luck with The Gunslinger. I never did manage to get through it, which is why I, ever the Constant Reader when it comes to all things King, remains a Dark Tower virgin. The series seems amazing a few books in, though, so I just might give it another try. Let us know how you like it.

I'm close to finishing Say When by my NBLF (New Best Literary Friend) Elizabeth Berg. It's a wonderful read: warm, humorous, touching, and real. She reminds me a little bit of Anne Tyler; they both tend to write warm, moving stories with authentic, likeable characters. Berg is, perhaps, slightly less literary than Tyler - I don't mean that in a bad way, honestly! - but they share that ability to write eloquently and seemingly effortlessly.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just finished "What came before he shot her" by Elizabeth George. It was an eye-opener, well written, but not particularly uplifting. A good read though.

FORT Regular
    My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki - very good!

Premium Member
    I'm reading Frozen in Time, the story of the 1961 U.S. figure skating team that was lost in a plane crash on their way to the World Championships.

Stupid and Contagious rocks! It is so funny! Its a shame I can't remember the author and the other book I just finished is called Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates. What a fantastic book!
    Rusty Nail Candy Cane

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlenrules;2203456;
    Stupid and Contagious rocks! It is so funny! Its a shame I can't remember the author and the other book I just finished is called Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates. What a fantastic book!
    Kahlenrules, I'm so glad you enjoyed Foxfire. Did you know it was made into a movie starring Angelina Jolie as Legs in the mid-90's? Anyway, Joyce Carol Oates is my all-time favourite author, and she's brought new meaning to the word "workaholic", so you have dozens of great books ahead of you. Was this your first novel by Oates? Feel free to PM me any time if you want recommendations on which Oates novels (or novellas, or short stories, or novels of suspense written by one of her pseudonyms...) to explore next. I'd start with Blonde, though. At 800+ pages, it's a hefty read, but one I'm almost positive you'll love. Oates' fictional account of the life and death of Marilyn Monroe somehow rings more true than most of the Monroe biographies out there. I need to re-read it soon.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Ruins. I was excited because it was supposed to be this creepy tale of 4 college kids getting "stuck" at these Mexican ruins where the horror soon follows.

It is like that, but the "killer" is a vine (this is not a spoiler, it's in the book's description that I did not read thoroughly!).

So kind of dumb for me. More gross than scary for sure, but I'm going to finish it.

I'm reading Finding My Talk, by Agnes Grant. It's a collection of stories, written in very plain language, about 14 different native womens' experiences in residential schools. It's of particular interest to me, because of my job and where I live, but it's one of those books that I wish was included in high school history classes. Like most Canadians (and probably most Americans, too) I came away from school supposedly having learned my country's history, but not knowing a damned thing about our native population.

These stories are really inspiring. The residential school experience was negative for so many, it's wonderful to hear that some managed to overcome the abuse and loss of their families and culture, and became successful in both First Nations and "mainstream" white society.

Anyway, enough of the civics lecture. Even if you're not big on history, or women's issues, this is a worthwhile read.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I just started Broken Prey by John Sandford. Nothing like a good mystery to make you forget all the rain.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

+ Reply to Thread