+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2195475;
    I'm about 50 pages into Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death, another of the advance reader copies I got at the booksellers' convention last fall. It took a little while to get into, but now I'm really enjoying it. The story focuses on a female "coroner" in the 12th century who is trying to solve the murder of several children, who the community believes were murdered by Jews. It's sort of like Kay Scarpetta meets The Name of the Rose with a little bit of religious conflict thrown in.
    CRITICAL!! I read that, also an advance reader copy, and LOVED it. I thought it was really interesting to see a sort of forensic study set in the 12th century. I think it actually comes out in February or March, and I recommend it.

In the last week I also finished Iain Pears' The Titian Committee, another of his art history mystery series. Not great, but a nice diversion. I then blew through Wild Fire, which is Nelson DeMille's latest (also an advance reader copy ). His books are like a shot of testosterone.
    I really enjoyed that Pears' art history/mystery series. Not too heavy, occasionally humorous, and the art angle is a nice change from many other mysteries. I blew through them all so fast, though, I can't remember which one I liked best, but I did like them all.

I got Elizabeth George's latest, What Came Before He Shot Her for Christmas (a signed first edition, courtesy of my mother ). I'm looking forward to it, but I think it's going to be pretty tough to read based on the plot line (which I won't spoil for anyone who didn't read the last one).
    I'm slowly working my way through Elizabeth George; if you like her, you might enjoy Caroline Graham, also a British murder mystery writer who reminds me, at least, of George.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I thought it was wonderful and devoured it in about 3 sittings. Thinking about starting The Joy Luck Club now...........

FORT Fan
    I just finished Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt. I prefer the Mars Trilogy but this book was still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2195669;
    CRITICAL!! I read that, also an advance reader copy, and LOVED it. I thought it was really interesting to see a sort of forensic study set in the 12th century. I think it actually comes out in February or March, and I recommend it.
    Don't you LOVE reader advance copies? I rarely buy new hardcovers, so it was a great treat to get a bunch of new releases that way. I'm really loving Mistress of the Art of Death. I've been so busy that I haven't been able to read it as much as I'd like, but I'm "stealing" time whenever I can.

I really enjoyed that Pears' art history/mystery series. Not too heavy, occasionally humorous, and the art angle is a nice change from many other mysteries. I blew through them all so fast, though, I can't remember which one I liked best, but I did like them all.
    I like them too. I've also read Giotto's Hand from the series, but I've read several others by Pears that I enjoyed.

I'm slowly working my way through Elizabeth George; if you like her, you might enjoy Caroline Graham, also a British murder mystery writer who reminds me, at least, of George.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for her Elizabeth George is really one of my favorite authors. I love the fact that, even as she's gotten more popular (although not hugely so...yet), the quality of her books has never declined...unlike some other writers *coughPatriciaCornwellcough*

I just splurged at Barnes & Noble and bought Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer and two by Emile Zola - The Masterpiece and Nana. As if I don't have enough to read!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished In the Name of God, by Yasmina Khadra.

An intense book about Algeria...very interesting and very well written.

FORT Regular
    im reading the freedom writers diary, indigo, and the pretties. yeah, all pretty good books. i saw the movie freedom writers so i am really interested in it

I am reading this fascinating book The Bolelyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory. You feel as if you are really back in Henry V111's court, watching all the intrigue and plotting. The author makes the three women in the story come alive as no dusty old history book ever could. A must read for anyone who enjoys historical fiction.
    Here's alink for further info. http://www.harpercollins.com.au/glob...sbn=0007190328

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0;2198339;
    Just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I thought it was wonderful and devoured it in about 3 sittings. Thinking about starting The Joy Luck Club now...........
    I went to a book store and ordered The Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and can't wait for it top arrive. Vondl0 The Joy Luck Club is a very good read.

I'm reading (oh-so-very slowly) "Anthem" by Ayn Rand and "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King (which is the first book in the Dark Tower series).

Oh, Manny, if you can get through The Gunslinger (which bored me a bit) you have a great enjoyable series in front of you. Lucky you. I should go back and start it again, it's been so long since I read the first ones.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread