+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;2188660;
    I'm reading "Vince & Joy" by Lisa Jewell (Ralph's Party and Thirtynothing), and I'm really enjoying it.
    THAT's who wrote "Ralph's Party"! I was recommending the book to my sister but couldn't think of the author.

I'm in the midst of "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub, after it was recommended by people in this thread. Love it! It's scary and spooky without just being blood and guts. If you Straub fans have recommendations for others of his books (this was my first by him), please share them.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef;2188777;
    It was a very esy read and not a bad story. I will be buying more of her books.
    Which book, the Agatha Christie or the Alice Hoffman one? In any case, glad you enjoyed it.

Lucy, Ghost Story is one heck of a read, isn't it? It scared the crap out of me, and I'm no stranger to horror. Like you, Ghost Story was my first Peter Straub (apart from his collabarations with Stephen King) but it definitely won't be my last. I've got Shadowland all lined up and ready to go, though, and I'll make sure to tell you how I like it. It is considered one of his best novels, but if I were you, I'd also look up Julia (Stephen King's outlining of the plot in Danse Macabre intrigued me) and If You Could See Me Now. Bear in mind that I haven't actually read any of those books yet. Liked the blurbs and covers, though. Ever the horror aficionado, I'm always on the prowl for good horror writers and Peter Straub certainly qualifies.

As for what I'm reading at the moment, I'm about halfway through the latest Cardinal/Delorme story, The Fields of Grief (that's the UK title; in Canada and the US, it's called By the Time You Read this. Bizarre) by Giles Blunt. He is one of my favourite contemporary crime novelists, and this one doesn't disappoint. Thrilling, well-written with gorgeous settings (North Canada) and a heartwrenching story that takes Cardinal to a dark and intensely personal place while Delorme pursues a child molestor and investigates several cases of apparent suicides. Could the cases be linked..? In a minute, once I'm all snug in bed, I'll find out for myself.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2189925;
    Which book, the Agatha Christie or the Alice Hoffman one? In any case, glad you enjoyed it.
    Actually The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen.

I am reading the 18th Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. I am a spounge of useless information, and most of that comes from those books.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Devil's Embrace - Catherine Coulter - I'm enjoying it so far

The Abortionist's Wife by Elizabeth Hyde, one of several literary Christmas gifts. (Thank you, Santa!) I'm close to finishing it and am loving it thus far. It has all the key ingredients of a great literary novel of suspense: an intriguing mystery (brilliant and controversial abortionist doctor is found dead - possibly murdered - in her beautiful small town Colorado home, and her death is followed by the unraveling of several dark secrets), captivating writing style, good pace, and many (but not too many) plot twists you didn't see coming. An interesting take on a very delicate and current topic in the US, the novel raises many questions regarding abortion, a woman's right to choose and the (sometimes) thin line between the constitutional right of expressing one's views and political/religious persecution. If you're a fan of the writing style of Jodi Picoult, look for this next time you find yourself in a bookstore.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 01-04-2007 at 03:58 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    I'm reading Born in Death by J.D. Robb. I really enjoy the series and this is another good one.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I'm about 50 pages into Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death, another of the advance reader copies I got at the booksellers' convention last fall. It took a little while to get into, but now I'm really enjoying it. The story focuses on a female "coroner" in the 12th century who is trying to solve the murder of several children, who the community believes were murdered by Jews. It's sort of like Kay Scarpetta meets The Name of the Rose with a little bit of religious conflict thrown in.

In the last week I also finished Iain Pears' The Titian Committee, another of his art history mystery series. Not great, but a nice diversion. I then blew through Wild Fire, which is Nelson DeMille's latest (also an advance reader copy ). His books are like a shot of testosterone.

I got Elizabeth George's latest, What Came Before He Shot Her for Christmas (a signed first edition, courtesy of my mother ). I'm looking forward to it, but I think it's going to be pretty tough to read based on the plot line (which I won't spoil for anyone who didn't read the last one).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason's The Rule Of Four a few days ago, a thriller regarding Princeton seniors attempting to solve the riddled mystery of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, a real book dating back to the Renaissance.

More than a few of the cover reviewer comments understandably compare it to The Da Vinci Code, and none of them understate the truth saying this is a substantially superior novel in comparison.

This is at times a heart wrenching tale of obsession, regrets and personal isolation. The depth of character development is impressive, the ongoing quest for answers is both enlightening and disturbing.

There's only one area that I found questionable as a reader, but I believe that is probably due to the complexity of whats occuring and the speed that I consumed the story. I figure somewhere along the line I missed a connection relating to a couple of characters, which left me thinking at the conclusion of the story that they wrapped up that aspect of the tale rather expediently compared to the detailed attention paid to the primary area of interest.

I look forward to going back and rereading this fine tale at a more leisurely pace.

I don't read often but this book caught my eye, so I bought it. It's called Cathy's Book.

+ Reply to Thread