+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 718 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124524 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

LT1
    Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Is it a funny or sad book? Do you recommend it?
    Eldee, I highly recommend Ambulance Girl. It's funny and touching at the same time. Very honest book written by a woman who, along with her husband, are better known as the Roadfood writers for Gourmet magazine. She goes from being an overweight clinically depressed woman to a volunteer EMT.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I just finished "Confessions of a shopacholic" ..it's really good, and I'm gonna buy the second book " Shopacholic takes Manhattan" I lovee these books

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    We started reading Moby Dick in class today. Not my idea of great literary fun but oh well... I can't read what I want to all the time, can I?
    Did you fall asleep during all the whaling chapters yet?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron.

It's a murder mystery written with Jane Austen as the main character. The author uses a lot of information (including letters) from Jane Austen's life to make it seem real. Very enjoyable book.

Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Very thought-provoking novel. Definitely a fun read, too. I'd recommend it.

After hours of agonizing over what to read next, I pulled A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo off my shelf. I'll let you know. (Think I got the title and author right...)
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    We just read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck in English class. I thought it was a good book, but everyone else in my class hated it because it had a sad ending. I just wanted to scream, "We're not in kindergarten anymore! Learn to deal with topics like this!" Another thing that bothered me about my classmate's reactions was all they paid attention to was the fact the George killed Lennie and that it was sad. They didn't think about if Lennie was actually better off being killed by George and not being killed inhumanely by Curley. They didn't think about what Steinbeck was trying to say about lonliness. My entire class is just... I don't know what. They're all sheep and don't try to think of their own opinion of the book and just listen to my teacher says. I am constantly the one person who speaks against the teacher's opinion because I just can't stand it how there's never any debate. It's just, "I feel bad for Lennie." "I don't think George should have killed him." What's the point of reading the book if you don't get anything from it? UGH! :phhht :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Very thought-provoking novel. Definitely a fun read, too. I'd recommend it.
    I read this about a year ago and still find myself thinking about it at odd moments. I'd definitely recommend this.

Now I have a new perspective on a roadside attraction I saw in Nevada once - a huge spider made out of a VW bug and other scrap metal towering 30 or 40 feet at the side of the highway.

ETA: Sorry Pinkie, I just read your post. I hope you have one of those flexible English teachers who appreciate creative thinking. The high school ones usually are. The literary nazis are usually found in graduate school...

You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Dex
    I just started reading Big Fish by Daniel Wallace. I remembered chiro saying it was a good book and since the movie is not out here yet, I thought I'd read it first. Anyone has any comments about this book?
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Watch the movie, it's coming out on 26 February here... I haven't read the book, so I will recommend the movie, Dex...

+ Reply to Thread