+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Kattatude, the author is Lisa See and the novel was a National Bestseller.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2154120;
    Has anybody read Snow Flower and the Secret fan? I got hooked by the first page. It's such a beautiful story of women in ancient China, their place in the family (just above dogs, but barely), foot binding, secret woman language, etc.
    I remember reading The Joy Luck Club and found the story about the different generations of a Chinese family quite well written. So I'm interested in reading this book as well.

FORT Regular
    Snow Flower is a fabulous book, and very thoroughly researched by the author in China. Pearl S. Buck's book, The Good Earth, is also very good and well worth reading if you enjoy literature about China.

I found a bunch of books in the recycling bin in my Condo building, so I finally read A Prayer for Owen Meaning and I loved it. I loved the World According to Garp, but was very dissapointed in The Hotel New Hampshire ( yes one bad book, and your crossed off my list, ala Joan Crawford). I'm reading Beloved, and its beautiful, stark and depressing ( though a woman who has sufferred the debasement of slavery isn't likely to be the picture of pollyanna ) and somewhat confusing. It's strange to read books that were written in the eighties though, usually I read very old stuff or very current stuff. Has anyone read The God of Small Things? The title has always intrigued, and haunted me.
    I still have to say the best book I've read in the last five years is Middlesex. So perfect.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 11-28-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: I type to fast, grammatical errors

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander;2159669;
    I found a bunch of books in the recycling bin in my Condo building, so I finally read A Prayer for Owen Meaning and I loved it. I loved the World According to Garp, but was very dissapointed in The Hotel New Hampshire ( yes one bad book, and your crossed off my list, ala Joan Crawford). I'm reading Beloved, and its beautiful, stark and depressing ( though a woman who has sufferred the debasement of slavery isn't likely to be the picture of pollyanna ) and somewhat confusing. It's strange to read books that were written in the eighties though, usually I read very old stuff or very current stuff. Has anyone read The God of Small Things? The title has always intrigued, and haunted me.
    I still have to say the best book I've read in the last five years is Middlesex. So perfect.
    Wow, Lotuslander, our taste in books is so similar - in other words, you have impeccable taste, my dear. You fell upon a pot of gold in that recycling bin! All of the books you mention I've read and loved, particularly Beloved, which I read for a lit class a couple of years ago and never fully managed to let go - it comes back to haunt me every once in a while; it was that powerful a novel, and Middlesex. Loved A Prayer for Owen Meany as well. Do read The God of Small Things; given the books you listed, I'm almost positive you'll love it. I read it on holiday in Italy ten years ago and adored it. Amazing settings and overall feel, and the language is so exquisite, you almost want to eat it. Too bad Arundhati Roy hasn't written another book since.

I'm OD'ing on Elizabeth Berg at the moment. There's something about her writing style - accessible and friendly, as if you're talking to a close friend, yet definitely more than mind candy - that really appeals to me, and what with November being the cruellest month and all (sorry, T.S. Eliot, you were wrong!), I need warm, easy, and nurturing books. So far, I've read Until the Real Thing Comes Along, but I've got four (!) other Elizabeth Berg books lined up. I'll probably want to read something else in between books, though, and my bet is that Alice Hoffman's Blackbird House will be my upcoming non-Elizabeth Berg choice. There isn't a Hoffman book that I haven't loved. Her particular New England brand of Magical Realism is absolutely amazing, and I adore the cosy atmosphere of her novels. Anyone see a pattern? You know, there really is such a thing as comfort literature, and to me, Elizabeth Berg and Alice Hoffman are the reigning queens of comfort lit.

Am also making mental notes for good holiday books. Any suggestions? I always read Dickens at some point in December, and last year I thoroughly enjoyed Fannie Flagg's sweet little Christmas story A Redbird Christmas. Feel free to recommend any Christmas-related novels and/or short stories.

Oh, and I just wanted to recommend Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster one more time. A must-read for Auster fans, and an intriguing, albeit slightly puzzling way for Auster virgins to acquaint themselves with one of America's finest contemporary authors.

ETA: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan sounds like something I'd really enjoy. For those of you who are interested in novels focusing on Chinese American culture, I strongly advise you pick up Woman Warrior (sometimes listed as Woman Warrior: Memories of a Girlhood Among Ghosts) by Maxine Hong Kingston. It is yet another book I read for my degree and ended up loving. Yay, required reading!
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-29-2006 at 02:41 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Comfort books sound really appetizing this time of the year, especially with the snow out my door. So Geek, since your such a voracious reader, how about a list of your most favorite books, so I don't have to wander blindly through the bookstore. I often buy books simply because I like the title, and sometimes that works and other times........not so much.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 11-29-2006 at 04:11 PM.

I used to read all the time but after having to read for academic reasons I just didn't have time for pleasure reading. Yesterday I knew I'd be waiting a long while for my car to be fixed so I took a paperback I got a while ago (I have lots of books that I haven't read yet) and so far really enjoy it. It's The Summons by John Grisham. I've never read any of his books but have seen lots of his movies. Has this one been made into a movie yet? Has anyone else read it? If so, tell me what you thought of it without giving away too much. I love spoilers for tv shows but not for my books or movies!

GTG are you rereading A Christmas Carol, or another Dickens book? I haven't read him since I was a kid, and somehow he sounds perfect for a cold winter's day. I've read David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol. Is there another that you'd recommend?

I love Elizabeth Berg! My best friend in junior high and high school had the same name, and I lost track of her after that. The first time I saw a book written by E.B. I was ecstatic. Of course it wasn't my Elizabeth, but I read the book anyway and discovered a new author. She's a little melancholy at times, and she can be very sentimental, but then so am I, so I don't mind. Say When was one of my favorites, as was Until the Real Thing Comes Along. The Year of Pleasures was a good read but I felt she lost a little of her focus, but then again it was about a new widow so maybe that was intentional. She has a new one out about the Nativity, called The Handmaid and the Carpenter - just in time for Christmas. I'm going to look for that one to get me into the Christmas spirit.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander;2160789;
    So Geek, since your such a voracious reader, how about a list of your most favorite books, so I don't have to wander blindly through the bookstore. I often buy books simply because I like the title, and sometimes that works and other times........not so much.
    Absolutely! I'm making a mental list as we speak. Will be back later with an actual one. I think I have a pretty good idea of what kind of books you like, and our tastes seem rather similar, so this will be fun.

Dinahann, I meant A Christmas Carol, but I always crave anything Dickens come December. This year, I might reread The Pickwick Club. It's been ages since I read it (high school, junior year) but I remember being bewitched by the cosy atmosphere and feeling constantly hungry since there is so much food and drink involved in the plot.

I'll have to look for The Handmaid and the Carpenter - thanks for letting us know about it! Oh, and the Berg books I bought were Say When, By the Pull of the Moon, The Art of Mending, and What We Keep. I started the latter last night and am enjoying it so far. The literary equivalent of mashed potatoes. Mmm, mashed potatoes.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Right now im reading Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

+ Reply to Thread