+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

AJane, I just bought some old Stephen King books myself. Some I'd read, and some I hadn't. I wanted to re-visit some of my old favorites, and read some of the readers' favorites I never got around to.

I just finished reading The Memory Keeper's daughter, Kim Edwards. In the 60's, a doctor delivers his own twin kids and gives the girl, who is born with Down's Syndrome, to the nurse, so she can put her in an institution. But the nurse cannot do it and raises this girl as her own. It's about what happens to a family when there is a secret growing amongst them.

Beautifully written story.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2131272;
    I just finished reading The Memory Keeper's daughter, Kim Edwards. In the 60's, a doctor delivers his own twin kids and gives the girl, who is born with Down's Syndrome, to the nurse, so she can put her in an institution. But the nurse cannot do it and raises this girl as her own. It's about what happens to a family when there is a secret growing amongst them.

Beautifully written story.
    I came across this one rather accidentally a few months ago and loved it too. I had such mixed feelings about the doctor though. What he does is so despicable, but he ends up being such a figure of pity. Such a good book...

I'm reading The Sea by John Banville. I'm not too far into it, but I adore the writing style. It is such a dreamy mix of distant past, recent past, and present--so well written--I can't wait to get back to it!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2131093;
    I'm re-reading some old Stephen King stuff that I haven't picked up for awhile - the short story collections, specifically, Night Shift and I've just started Skeleton Crew. Funny, because although I tried to read Bag of Bones, I found it too sad - not suited to my current mood, I guess. But it made me want to revisit King's work, even though I haven't really read anything of his since Gerald's Game. I'm on the wait list for Cell, too. I kinda feel like I've met up with an old friend I haven't seen for years.
    AJane, make sure you add Lisey's Story to that list. Believe me, that's a book you'll want to read.

It's so funny that both you and John are revisiting King, as I'm - wee! - off to London to go to a S.K. book signing on Friday. The book signing is in a shopping centre in Essex, about three train rides away from my sister's house. I will try my damndest to be there hours before the actual book signing so that I'll get a chance to meet him. Stay tuned for the whole story. Hopefully, cameras will be allowed so that I can post a "When Geek the Girl met Stevie" snap shot. I'll tell him you said hi, AJane.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-07-2006 at 02:52 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I am always reading! right now Im reading "Flags of our fathers" which has been made into a movie..and it is really really good..very well written.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Geek, how lucky! Please do post some pics if you can. And tell him that he has fans in Western Canada that would love it if he made it up for a book signing. The weather can't be much worse here than it is in Maine.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Just read a book called Cruel Sacrifice...based on a true story. It's about a 12 year old girl who was kidnapped, beaten, sexually abused and, ultimately murdered by a group of 4 girls ages 14-16. It was a scary eye-opener as to what girls can actually be capable of. The book is by true crime writer, Aphrodite Jones. Some of the girls are actually starting to be released from prison.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just started reading " My One Night Stand with Cancer" by Tania Katan. She is a two time breast cancer survivor diagnosed at 21 and 31. She is a lesbian, she is fierce and she is very strong. She has a very quirky writing style, which I like. I read some recommendations of the book and I'm glad I ordered it.

I'm not such a Stephen King fan, as the couple of books of his I've read I found overly descriptive and kind of boring. Although I've loved all of the books they've made into movies!
    I'm a huge Janet Evanovich & James Patterson fan. I love the mysteries!

And after much harassment from nearly everyone I know, I've started the Davinci Code. Pretty good so far.

hehe Fredfred, I thought I was the only one in the world who hadnt read the DaVinci code, but I wanted to read it before the movie came out, cause I wanted to see the movie, but IMO the books are always better...so I kept telling myself I needed to read it, ever since I knew there was going to be a movie...and finally finished it just before I went and saw the move its really really good, and caused me to want to read more Dan Brown books...very talented author IMO enjoy!
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread