+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2119781;
    My next read will hopefully be an unusual and intriguing one. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marissa Pearl has been compared to my all-time favourite novel, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, and has an interesting set-up: each chapter of the novel is named after a literary classic. I'm not sure to which extent, but I do know that a post-modern murder mystery with literary themes sound like a dream come true. Has anyone read this?
    I haven't even heard of the Marissa Pearl book, but I loved The Secret History! I'll be interested to hear how this one is. Please give us a review when you're done!

John - I used to be the same way about reading series until I just couldn't stomach any more Anne Rice. After I realized how much time I was wasting reading her crappy "first draft" novels that I didn't even enjoy, I gave myself permission to just stop. Same with Patricia Cornwell. Of course, I'll probably read everything the Kellerman's (Faye and Jonathan) ever write, no matter how good or bad it is.
    Last edited by Critical; 10-29-2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Hours!
    bring janice back. now.

Quote Originally Posted by John;2119862;
    I'm reading the new Vince Flynn book, "Act of Treason". I'm so over Mitch Rapp and Vince Flynn, but I have this OCD that once I start a series of books about a character, I can't stop. Dean Koontz could spend the rest of his life churning out crap books about Odd Thomas, and I'd buy and read every one of them. And then be pissed at myself for having done so after every book.
    I know what you mean, John. After all, you're talking to the girl who owns more than a dozen Scarpetta novels. I take it Brother Odd was a disappointment, then? I bought Forever Odd at Heathrow a couple of months ago, started it on the plane, decided I didn't feel like reading it right then and then promptly forgot all about it. Not a very good sign. I'll probably finish it eventually, though, when I'm between books.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I haven't read Brother Odd yet, but will shortly. I've got a bunch of books in the queue, and I recently read "The Husband" by Koontz. It wasn't awful, and in fact was better than a lot of the recent Koontz books.

FORT Newbie
    In a Halloween spirit, I'd like to suggest World War Z (it details the events of the zombie war). I love, love, love this book. It's just about so much more than zombies -- it parallels such much in our current events like bird flu, and SARS. And it has some interesting comments on differing governments reactions to a global pandemic or catastrophic event.

If you've seen Shawn of the Dead, you'll enjoy World War Z!!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2098204;
    cricketeen - you'll have to come back and give us a review of The Historian when you finish it. Lots of Forters have read it and there were quite mixed reviews.
    Hey, it's Halloween, why not?

1. I love, love, love historical fiction. Ever since the Bicentennial series by John Jakes, the mix of a good story and getting a little learnin' is irresistible to me.
    I felt the author was a bit too generous in dishing out historical tidbits. Only those pertaining to the story were needed, the others became tedious distractions. I think her interest in her own heritage rode roughshod over the story.

2. I am a very cooperative reader in that I will suspend my disbelief for the sake of a good read.
    Elizabeth Kostova wove an interesting story with unique settings and a deft touch with atmosphere - that I felt fell flat at the end. Too much dragging of the monks all over Eastern Europe. I also felt let down that the entire cat-and-mouse game was predicated on
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dracula's desire for a card-catalog

I found the use of first-person for the father, daughter and Rossi distracting;
    I don't want to take myself out of the book to figure out 'who is telling the story now'.

I did like many of the characters - a book could be written about the Turkish friends; the mysteries were intriguing enough to carry the story; I learned about a region and it's customs. Would I recommend it? Yes. With reservations.

Currently reading: March by Geraldine Brooks
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I am reading Don of the dead by Casey Daniels. I often buy books by reading the jacket and don't like the ones where the hero\heroine has to save the world from some sinister mastermind.

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (who also wrote The Botany of Desire).

A must-read for anyone who eats.

Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars. Liking it so far......everyone who has read it tells me how good it is. Just need to find time to sit down and really get into it!

I'm re-reading some old Stephen King stuff that I haven't picked up for awhile - the short story collections, specifically, Night Shift and I've just started Skeleton Crew. Funny, because although I tried to read Bag of Bones, I found it too sad - not suited to my current mood, I guess. But it made me want to revisit King's work, even though I haven't really read anything of his since Gerald's Game. I'm on the wait list for Cell, too. I kinda feel like I've met up with an old friend I haven't seen for years.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread