+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I am a couple of chapters into Teacher Man, by Frank McCourt and I have to admit that so far I am a little disappointed. There are too many flashbacks to his youth, which I have read all about in Angela's Ashes and 'Tis. Hopefully, we'll get more of his teaching years. That is what the book is all about, after all.

I'm reading Plum Island by Nelson DeMille and Until You by Bertrice Small. Both are really good so far.

I'm on a Steve Berry kick right now. I just finished "The Amber Room" and am now reading "The Romanov Prophecy"

For my "bathroom book" I'm reading "MIllion Little Pieces" James Frey, just 'cause I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2100600;
    See, if you hadn't missed out on the Michael Connelly signing, I would have to hate you. Which books did you end up choosing? Feel free to post all the titles - I need inspiration as I always end up opting for the latest effort of an old fave. I so know what you mean about the "taking an alcoholic to a winery" thing - I always end up buying half the store whenever I enter a bookstore. Just imagine how I'd behave if I got it all for FREE! The mind boggles.
    Well, I do have several signed firsts from Connelly, but I've never met him. When he lived in Southern California, he would do book signings at the Barnes & Noble in my hometown. My mom alway went and got me a book signed.

Hmmm..book suggestions? Have you delved into any Elizabeth George yet? Think Agatha Christie with a very literary feel. I'm quite partial to her, not only because she lives in my hometown. While she writes mysteries, the writing and the characters are so rich that it's not just about getting to the end quickly. She has a new one coming out, which I will get a signed first of - my mom offered to go to another signing for me. I'm a lucky girl.

Okay, you asked for a list and here it is:
    • The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery
    • Finn by John Clinch
    • The Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
    • Deep Storm by Lincoln Child
    • The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood
    • Mississippi Sissy by Kevin Sessums
    • Leonardo's Shadow by Christopher Grey
    • Flower Confidential by Amy Stewart
    • Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir
    • Sister Mine by Tawni O'Dell
    • Passion by Jude Morgan
    • You Don't Love Me Yet by Jonathan Lethem
    • The Riddle by Alison Croggon
    • Close Enough to Kill by Beverly Barton
    • Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille
    • The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig
    • Cures for Heartbreak by Margo Rabb
    • Red River by Lalita Tademy
    • The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu
    • The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer
    • The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Volume I by M.T. Anderson
    • Rome's Gothic Wars by Michael Kulikowski
    • The Sisters Mortland by Sally Beauman
      and finally...
    • a new hardcover of Stephenie Meyer's New Moon.

Of course, because I have this giant stack of new books, I bought at least 5 new ones this weekend while I was in San Francisco. Right now I'm reading Alias Olympia: A Woman's Search for Manet's Notorious Model & Her Own Desire by Eunice Lipton. I've always loved Manet's Olympia, so this one was a "must have."
    Last edited by Critical; 10-17-2006 at 12:56 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just started Mitch Albom's new book, For One More Day. It's about a mother/son relationship and explores the question of how you'd spend one more day with someone you've lost. So far, I'm enjoying it as I did Albom's others.

I'm also a few chapters into At Risk by Patricia Cornwell. I'm a huge fan of Cornwell but since I'm partial to the Scarpetta series, I'm having a hard time getting into this one.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm reading another Anita Shreve book - A Wedding in December. I liked the two books by her that I read last week better, probably because they were set in a different time period. This one is just okay to me so far.

lildago, I'll have to look into reading the book by Albom you mentioned. It sounds like it may hit close to home. I lost my youngest brother unexpectedly 6 years ago, and so many times I've thought about how precious just one more day would be. I think anyone who has lost a loved one without warning has had that very thought.

I just finished The DaVinci Code and remembered how much I loved to read. Something other than "how-to-get-better-when-you're-sick kinda books".

I'm going to give Memoirs of a Geisha a try. My sinister says it was good.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Then you can bet it is great !
    Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope you do, too.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm almost finished with "The Sunday Philosphy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. I have enjoyed it, but then I'm partial to McCall Smith since reading "The No. 1 Ladies's Detective Agency" . I would say that much like the Ladies's Detective Agency books, this one is not really a whodunit, but I did think that it had more elements of a classic murder mystery than any of the Ladies's Detective Agency.

After this, come in order of appearance in my book pile: "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, "The Bookseller in Kabul" by Åsne Seierstad, "The Broker" by John Grisham and, finally, a reread of "The Client" by the same author, all of which should hopefully tide me over until at least mid-november .

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2103938;
    a new hardcover of Stephenie Meyer's New Moon.
    Just finished this book moments ago. I should have been making dinner, doing laundry, about a million other things - but couldn't put it down. It was awesome - a great follow-up to Twilight. I don't know how I'll survive until the next installment...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread