+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 727 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123523 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I Don't Want To Be Inside Me Anymore: Messages From An Autistic Mind by Birger Sellin

Born in Germany in 1973, Birger Sellin was a happy and outgoing child who learned to speak at an unusually early age. But shortly after he turned two, he suddenly grew terrified at the sight of other children and inexplicably stopped talking. His parents watches helplessly as their beloved child retreated into a dark and lonely world; he spent the next sixteen years in silent isolation, caged behind walls he had constructed. Like nearly 400,000 people in our own country, Birger Sellin is autistic. But when he was eighteen, something amazing happened. He learned to type. With someone supporting his arm, he began to pour out words, thoughts, and feelings that no one had suspected he possessed.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    started reading Michael Moore's Dude Where's My Country yesterday.... intriguing stuff...

I'm re-reading Andy McNab's "Crisis Four". I first read it from the library about 3 years ago. I just bought it as a heavy-discount hardcover from B&N for $5, so I'm re-reading it.

I love Andy McNab, and have read all of his books, both fiction and non-fiction.

Toybox by Al Sarrantonio

Little Selene is bored. And then comes the mysterious Toyman, carrying a very special toybox, filled with wonders and terrors beyond imagination. As Selene peers into the toybox, the stories tumble out: a quiet little girl whose horrible secret bursts forth at a Halloween party...a doll made of corn that hides a very nasty surprise...a depraved celebration for the last vampire...All of these and many more await Selene—and now they wait for you—inside the toybox. Go ahead, open it. If you dare.

Ambulance Girl:How I Saved Myself By Becoming An EMT-Jane Stern
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

An acclaimed bestseller and international sensation, Patrick Suskind's classic novel provokes a terrifying examination of what happens when one man's indulgence in his greatest passion-his sense of smell-leads to murder.

In the slums of eighteenth-century France, the infant Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is born with one sublime gift-an absolute sense of smell. As a boy, he lives to decipher the odors of Paris, and apprentices himself to a prominent perfumer who teaches him the ancient art of mixing precious oils and herbs. But Grenouille's genius is such that he is not satisfied to stop there, and he becomes obsessed with capturing the smells of objects such as brass doorknobs and frest-cut wood. Then one day he catches a hint of a scent that will drive him on an ever-more-terrifying quest to create the "ultimate perfume"-the scent of a beautiful young virgin. Told with dazzling narrative brillance, Perfume is a hauntingly powerful tale of murder and sensual depravity.

Umm....I'm reading a pink colored paperback that calls itself a "heartwarming page-turner."
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I'm just going to start reading The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares, which was described by Octavio Paz, of all people, as "a perfect novel" and Jorge Luis Borges as "a masterpiece of plotting". Geez, with accolades like those, how could I not read this book?
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 02-12-2004 at 05:10 AM.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    We started reading Moby Dick in class today. Not my idea of great literary fun but oh well... I can't read what I want to all the time, can I?
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Ambulance Girl:How I Saved Myself By Becoming An EMT-Jane Stern
    Is it a funny or sad book? Do you recommend it?

+ Reply to Thread