+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Hi Geek the girl !

I'm really liking The Jane Austen Book Club, a very easy read, even in my present exhausted state and thanks for the recommendations about other authors I could read in the vein of Patricia Cornwell. I will keep an eye out for their names next time I visit the library .

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I've got an enormous pile of books waiting to be read, including Karin Slaughter's new stand-alone, Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen, Vanish by Tess Gerritsen, Forever Odd by Dean Koontz, and a novel I checked out from the library on a whim, Kinship Theory by Hester Kaplan. Now I have to decide which one to read first. Decisions, decisions...
    I have Vanish in my pile too! I'd say that we could read it together, but you should probably get your library book out of the way first. I'm in the middle of a series of mysteries right now (Abby Cooper, Psychic eye) but they are quick and easy, and then I'm planning on digging slightly deeper (though not much) intellectually with a new Jayne Ann Krentz and Vanish by Gerritsen. Then it's back into some more weighty reads, before I get too far over into the light and airy realms.
    Could does not mean should

I'm going to have to go reserve The Jane Austen Book Club. I've been in a totally different mindset, though, as I've been reading my way through Chuck Palahniuk's stuff. As I've been waiting in line for a copy of Choke, though, I started John Irving's Until I Find You. If you liked The World According to Garp, then you're like me and will love this new one. Very similar themes, and if Irving were any less a writer I'd think he was lazy. Interesting side note - the sexual abuse in the new book (warning - it's graphic, and written in a darkly comic way - I know how bizarre that sounds, but anyone who has read Irving will understand) is derived from Irving's personal experience. I thought it was interesting, given that Irving's female characters are always exceptionally strong, agressive women. It's a hefty read, but hard to put down.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I had a hard time finishing off Predator too. What on earth has happened to Patricia Cornwell? She used to be so good. If you're in the mood for medical thrillers in the same tradition, try Tess Gerritsen, Kathy Reichs, or Karin Slaughter. All three are way ahead of Cornwell right now.
    Thanks for the info...I looked at that one up in the grocery store line (I can resist the candy more than the books LOL!) Usually I get my mysteries second hand from my best friend when she finishes them. I recognized the name as an author I enjoyed, but didn't buy the book because it didn't quite grab my interest.
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

I just read Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom and now moving on to The five people you meet in heaven from the same author.

Just finished Water for Elephants for my book club and really, really enjoyed it! Also finished Eden Close by Anita Shreve.........I'm trying to read her entire body of work and only have 2 more left; Resistance and Strange Fits of Passion.

My book club is trying to find a book with a Christmas theme for our November pick.........anyone have any suggestions?

Just started The Historian. A tad slow, but well written and an interesting slant on the Dracula stories.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

cricketeen - you'll have to come back and give us a review of The Historian when you finish it. Lots of Forters have read it and there were quite mixed reviews.

I'm about 20 pages into the autobiography of Jose Clemente Orozco, the Mexican muralist. It's for the book club at work, but it's not really a chore to read. Unfortunately, it will probably take me WAY too long to read, since all I seem to do lately is work and study and sleep (but not nearly of the last one as I'd like!)

My book "backlog" just increased hugely over the weekend. My boss and I went to a booksellers convention, where we discovered the joys of the Advanced Reader Copy. I came home with about 25 free books - everything from biography to history to thrillers to literary fiction. It was like taking an alcoholic to a winery with unlimited free samples!

Unfortunately, we got there are 10:30 and missed a signing by Michael Connelly! He was long-gone by the time we got there. I'm trying not to dwell on the fact that I could have gotten a FREE book signed by him if we'd only gotten going 30 minutes earlier.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

My book "backlog" just increased hugely over the weekend. My boss and I went to a booksellers convention, where we discovered the joys of the Advanced Reader Copy. I came home with about 25 free books - everything from biography to history to thrillers to literary fiction. It was like taking an alcoholic to a winery with unlimited free samples!

Unfortunately, we got there are 10:30 and missed a signing by Michael Connelly! He was long-gone by the time we got there. I'm trying not to dwell on the fact that I could have gotten a FREE book signed by him if we'd only gotten going 30 minutes earlier.
    See, if you hadn't missed out on the Michael Connelly signing, I would have to hate you. Which books did you end up choosing? Feel free to post all the titles - I need inspiration as I always end up opting for the latest effort of an old fave. I so know what you mean about the "taking an alcoholic to a winery" thing - I always end up buying half the store whenever I enter a bookstore. Just imagine how I'd behave if I got it all for FREE! The mind boggles.

I've been working long hours and am at the moment trying to recover from a nasty flu bug, so I'm all about quick, easy reads at the moment. When (if?) my brain activity is back to normal, I'd love to get my hands on a nice, long, satisfactory read. Think luminious language, engaging characters and great atmosphere. Any takers?

Speaking of Connelly, has anyone read Echo Park yet? I will, as long as I can muster up the energy to leave my bedroom. It's a hardcover novel to boot, so in terms of practicality, I have to wait until I'm feeling better to start reading it. I'm not exactly a bodybuilder to begin with, so just the idea of reading a big ol' hardcover novel in bed while running a fever is exhausting. I hate being sick.

ETA: Despite my illness, I'm pretty excited today since this year's Nobel Laureate in Literature will be announced at 1 PM today - that's four hours and 27 minutes away. Not that I'm counting or anything...
    Last edited by geek the girl; 10-12-2006 at 02:34 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just finished reading Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve. It was my first book by her. A little disturbing for me concerning the age thing with two of the characters, but overall I really enjoyed the story. It kept me interested enough to read the book in a couple of days, and I NEVER get books finished that quickly anymore. I found another Shreve book in my pile of books, so I guess I will settle into that one next.

Geek, if you want a big story with memorable characters and atmosphere, may I recommend Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. It's a great book and well worth reading. I don't know that you'd call the language luminous, but it is certainly entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread