+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

My book club is reading Pope Joan next. I'm on the fence about it. I'll probably read it, but I hope it's not a Da Vinci Code in disguise. Any comments on it?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I also really loved Smilla's Sense of Snow. Whenever I meet someone who doesn't like math, I have them read two pages of Hoeg's book (so as to inspire them to enjoy numbers). In that scene Smilla discusses the beauty of numbers while a man cooks her some type of lobster dish. An excerpt:
    The number system is like human life. First you have the natural
    numbers. The ones that are whole and positive. Like the numbers of a
    small child. But human consciousness expands. The child discovers
    longing. Do you know the mathematical expression for longing? The
    negative numbers. The formalization of the feeling that you're
    missing something.
    It's easily one of the most sensual interactions I've ever read! Unfortunately, the movie of Smilla didn't include this scene.

Recently, I finished Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything Is Illuminated and Bernard Malamud's The Assistant. For those of you who remember me, you might also remember I had stopped reading (no definable cause for having stopped). News is, I read now (no cause for having started).

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    On vacation, I read "My life in France" - about Julia Childs start as a curious American who embraced French life and food. It was wonderful and makes me want to cook! I hadn't known that much about Julia Child - but now I am a great fan of hers.
    I've just finished "Julie and Julia" about one woman's quest to create all 526 recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in one year. It was really good, I enjoyed it.

Thanks for your recommendation, beerbelly!
    Could does not mean should

I am not reading the last of the Barsetshire Novels:
    The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Right now I'm reading a book by William Gibson called Pattern Recognition. I don't know it seems strange and I can't seem to get into it. My husband recomended it because he knows I like mystery novels, but I don't know. If anyone has read it could you give me some feed back on how you liked it? Thanks
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Last night I finished Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson, a hugely entertaining read. The first sentence - "There are gods in Alabama: Jack Daniels, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits, and also Jesus" - got me hooked big time and the rest was just as addictive. Think Fannie Flagg strung out on tequila and crack. Lucky for me, Joshilyn Jackson has a brand new novel out in stores (I love it when that happens!) - has anybody read it?

I've got an enormous pile of books waiting to be read, including Karin Slaughter's new stand-alone, Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen, Vanish by Tess Gerritsen, Forever Odd by Dean Koontz, and a novel I checked out from the library on a whim, Kinship Theory by Hester Kaplan. Now I have to decide which one to read first. Decisions, decisions...
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm afraid I haven't been reading so much lately what with a new job and a lot of catching up to do, but I finally got around to finishing "The Well of Lost Plots" by Jasper Fforde, which I found really clever if a bit exhausting, and the title kind of a misnomer. Fforde has created such an intricate world and while I loved the idea of a parallel universe where characters in books live a life of their own, by the end of the book I felt like I've had information overload and the footnoterphone device was giving me a bit of a headache. To be fair though, I'm so tired even Nancy Drew could create a bit of a headache .

I'm trying to finish "Predator" by Patrica Cornwell, but it's not looking good. I haven't been able to get into the third person present narrative and I don't know, none of the characters appeal specially to me. I'm having much more luck with "The Jane Austen Book Club" by Karen Joy Fowler. From the blurb:

"In California's Central Valley, five woman and one man join together to discuss Jane Austen's novels. Over the six months they meet, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens."

I'm only about 20 pages in, and I'm already considering rereading my dog eared copies of Emma and Sense and Sensibility to join in the discussions.

I'm fairly new to this forum, and just discovered the boards beyond tv...since I tend to have several books going at once, let's see

Currently reading.......

"The Traveler" by John Twelve Hawks...this one was recommended by my SIL and hubby, and is touted as the "Cyber 1984", it's the kind of book I am fascinated by, but either read piecemeal, or can't put down until it's done.

"Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones....this is my before bedtime fun re-read (loved the movie BTW)

"Seduced by Hitler, the Choices of a Nation and the Ethics of Survival" by Adam LeBor and Roger Boyes.....because I believe we should never forget, and I am pre-reading it before putting it on my teenage son's "Mom's one book a month reading list" which is in addition to any school reading or reading for fun he does.

"The BUddha in Daily LIfe" by Richard Causton...because I am a Buddhist and am always studying.

I love books with a passion, and will read almost anything, even the box of cornflakes in an emergency" please share books with me! I love it.
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

swingkat, isn't The Jane Austen Book Club great? I read it a couple of months ago and loved it. Very much a feel-good novel; it left me all warm and fuzzy, like after I've watched a really good romantic comedy. Like you, I instantly wanted to re-read all my Jane Austens.

I had a hard time finishing off Predator too. What on earth has happened to Patricia Cornwell? She used to be so good. If you're in the mood for medical thrillers in the same tradition, try Tess Gerritsen, Kathy Reichs, or Karin Slaughter. All three are way ahead of Cornwell right now.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzie1953 View Post
    "The Traveler" by John Twelve Hawks...this one was recommended by my SIL and hubby, and is touted as the "Cyber 1984", it's the kind of book I am fascinated by, but either read piecemeal, or can't put down until it's done.

I quite enjoyed "The Traveler". Enough to wonder when he's ever going to put out the sequel.

I finally got a copy of Jasper Fforde's "Fourth Bear." So far it's entertaining, but as someone said upthread, I don't think it's going to count among my favorites of his.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread